Interview for hospital volunteer position???
Jun 14, 2005 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Zuerst

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone have previous hospital interview experience(s)? What do they ask you during the interview?

Main purpose of the interview is to determine compatibility, matureness, motive, and commitment?

Jun 14, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 6
Are you interviewing as an adult or junior/underage volunteer? What department are you looking to be placed in? In most cases, they want to make sure you are the type of person who would maintain patient confidentiality, etc. Maturity is an important part of the interview, as is commitment -- They don't want to hire volunteers who aren't likely to show up every week or whatever time your shift is at, because volunteers are an important link in the healthcare chain. I believe they also ask questions to get a feel for what areas or dept's you are specifically interested in, if any. Previous experience with working in a healthcare setting isn't necessarily what they're looking for, but it's important that you're the type of person who would fit in and make patients comfortable.

I don't know anyone personally who has been turned down for a volunteer position at a hospital, so as long as you conduct yourself professionally, dress casually but nice, etc. I think it's a pretty easy, low-stress interview.

Jun 14, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 6
So it's basically just to make sure one is not a chain saw wielding psycho?
biggrin.gif

I'm adult(college) volunteer and I'm likely volunteering in the emergency or ICU department. My purpose for wanting to volunteer is to familiar myself with the hospital environment and practice (I'm doing premed and want to make sure I know what I'm getting myself into and this is really what I want to do) and giving back to the community.

Jun 14, 2005 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 6
Yup like dwchin said. I volunteered in a clinic in college. Besides what dwchin said, they told me more about the position, what they need help with, how much you can commit, what they are all about (i.e. their purpose, goal, vision, etc.), stuff like that. No biggie. They'll tell you some of the things you need to do before volunteering (background check, some might need immunization, etc.).

Jun 15, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #5 of 6
Volunteering's a really good way to get familiar with a hospital setting, so I definitely think it's a good choice for a premed student (or anyone, really, who's curious about hospital/healthcare). I actually worked in the ER myself as a volunteer, and it was an eye opener. I also became an EMT in college, and that's a fantastic experience if you like volunteering in the ER and want to do more. It's time consuming to become an EMT, but it's a useful skill, and great for a premed. (If you join up with a squad, they can usually pay for your EMT education, too, so that's a plus!)

Good luck with the 'interview' Zuerst... I hope you have fun working there
tongue.gif

Jun 15, 2005 at 6:07 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the good wishes. The "interview" was more like an info session. Coincidentally I'm most likely going to be volunteering in the ER. Becoming an EMT sounds like a good idea that would provide valuable experinces. I would like to do that but it would be a bit difficult to work that in along with my electrical engineering curriculum, research, volunteering, work, and co-op with a company during some semesters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back