INTERNET RADIO DROPOUTS
Jun 13, 2015 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

King of Pangaea

100+ Head-Fier
What exactly causes internet radio dropouts?  What, if anything can be done about them?  Seems to happen on most stations. My receiver is connected to my router with a 25 foot Ethernet cable.  Is there some kind of Ethernet cable amplifier that can be placed just after the router which will boost signal strength to cure this problem?  I have found USB to internet boxes called amplifiers but nothing straight RJ45 in and out.

Any help appreciated.  Thanks,  Billo

Jun 14, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #2 of 5
Is there some kind of Ethernet cable amplifier that can be placed just after the router which will boost signal strength to cure this problem? 

No. The packet loss would be happening over the Internet before it gets to your home.

Jun 15, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #3 of 5
yup packet loss and stuff like that would most likely be between your box and internet, not between the box and the computer.
depending on your provider, some offer for you to set different options, with the one providing the fastest ping or biggest download speed, usually being the one with the less verification for errors.
you could also try to look at your connection(again depending on the provider it might be more or less easy to have full informations) and if your line just sucks, maybe complain a lot and hope that they'll send someone to solve your problem.

could be something with the computer, could be that your ethernet cable just suffered (I had one like that at a job, people walked on it all the times, so connections were far from perfect through it ^_^).
you could also try using wifi instead of ethernet and see if you don't end up with less drop out? really not likely, but who knows?

do you have drop outs as often when you're playing a game or connected on skype (anything forcing a constant back and forth keeping the line "alive")?

Jun 17, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 5
You don't by any chance have a Denon internet-enabled receiver and a Tp-Link router, do you? Some TP-Link routers do not play nicely with these receivers, as I discovered.

Jun 20, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #5 of 5
No, my receiver is a Yamaha RXV3900 ( I think one of the first to offer internet connectivity) ethernet connected by a 25 foot cable to a Cisco Linksys Model WRT 160N V3 router.  I don't get dropouts when listening to radio on the computer which is Ethernet connected, only at the receiver end.  I was just wondering if cable length or the internet radio station browser in the receiver had anything to do with the dropouts  I experience at that end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back