Internet Problems... Help!!
Nov 14, 2002 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
I know this isn't an internet help guide here, but ~ I think of you guys as my friends... and friends help each other... right?
biggrin.gif

Anyway... you'll probably have noticed that i've not been posting much lately... thats because of my internet connection...

Now, streaming audio/video... no problem at all, but using IE6 and Netscrape I can barely move 9kbps on my 512kbps!!

I've scoured DSL Reports with no luck, i've restored my computer to a previous time, when I knew things were good to no avail...

It could be a virus... when I run my virus scanner, its gets as far as the windows directory, and then resets... but apart from that, no obvious problems...

So, its over to you ~ do any of you have any idea of how I can fix my internet browsing... without formatting my HD?

Thanks

Nov 14, 2002 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 14
look for kwazza problems. look inside the www.sysopt.com forums (my old stomping grounds until the name calling started) for a fix.

you may also want to download Outpost from www.agnitum.com . i like it much more than zonealarm.

if you have xp, turn off the built in firewall and install outpost instead.

also install & run adaware ( www.cnet.com ) and spybot.

Nov 14, 2002 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 14
Could it be a problem with your modem?

If I were you and I thought I had a virus I would probably reformat and start from there, but then I reformat every few of months anyway so it's no big deal for me.

Ah well, sorry I couldn't be any more help.

Nov 15, 2002 at 9:40 AM Post #4 of 14
Thanks WalliJohn!!! I have been using ZoneAlarm for about a month now, so it's good to know there is something else out there that works well for free!!! I am getting ready to download and try it out on my computer!!! Thanks for the tip.

Nov 15, 2002 at 7:20 PM Post #5 of 14
Duncan, where are you? did you fix your probelm?

SE, be careful when you first start Outpost. if you have a router, that's the first connection it sees. you MUST enable it the first time (set to always allow) or you'll never get out.

man, are you going to love the screen that comes up with outpost! be careful in enabling and disabling stuff.

if you don't have a router / firewall be prepared to see a LOT of kwazza attacks! it's like a police scanner going off during a national emergency! these are things you'd never see with zonealarm.

Nov 15, 2002 at 7:23 PM Post #6 of 14
duncan - first thing to do is boot into safe mode and then cd to windows\temporary internet directory and delete what's ever inside.

the fact that you say that the anti-virus program resets says you got virusii in there. run the anti virus in safe mode.

what anti-virus program are you using? and is it updated with the latest .dat files?

hope you do regular backups of your documents, game saves, mail, favourites, etc...

Nov 15, 2002 at 9:51 PM Post #7 of 14
Thanks again WalliJohn!! I removed ZoneAlarm and installed both of the programs you recommended. So far it has caught mreo programs trying to access the internet than ZA ever did!! It seems like every couple of minutes my Sony autoupdate tries to run and access the internet. ZA never even knew that this program was trying to do anything.

For all those out there who don't have any form of protection against attacks and Trojan Horses, GET THESE PROGRAMS TODAY!!!!! They are free to use and work well. The Trojan Horse program is a 30 day trial, but it works well and can't hurt to try out.
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2002 at 10:18 PM Post #8 of 14
Hi wallijonn

It appears that this is a provider problem now... I have just scrapped XP, and gone back to a completely fresh install of ME (which to me is more user friendly when trying to configure the internet)... yet it is still exactly the same...

...Been on hold for 30 minutes now, waiting for someone to tell me that they can't help... ho-hum
frown.gif

Nov 16, 2002 at 4:35 AM Post #9 of 14
SE, you may be able to start -> run -> msconfig and uncheck the program 'autoupdate' so that it doesn't run.

if you have the MSN buddy icon in your system tray i can tell you how to trun it off (disable), provided you don't use MSN. another one that run all the time and saps bandwidth is microsoft autoupdater. mafee had the same thing, along with soundblaster...

which is why the only things that should be in your system tray are things you use at least once a day and a firewall & anti-virus.

duncan, are you using the ISP's monitoring/troubleshooting software (it's usually running in the system tray). cox cable's system tray software sucks - especially with firewalls, so i deep 6'd it.

what happens when you run www.dslreports.com tests for throughput? did you install any of the registry mods? either you're getting on when everybody else is, or the isp is limiting (capping) the throughput. then again, it could be a noisey line, or you need an amp (why you would i don't know).

Nov 16, 2002 at 6:35 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
SE, you may be able to start -> run -> msconfig and uncheck the program 'autoupdate' so that it doesn't run.

WalliJohn,

Don't work. I have Win2K and can't find a way to edit and play with msconfig like I used to on my Win98 machines. Any advice o sage one????

Nov 16, 2002 at 8:02 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

what happens when you run www.dslreports.com tests for throughput? did you install any of the registry mods? either you're getting on when everybody else is, or the isp is limiting (capping) the throughput. then again, it could be a noisey line, or you need an amp (why you would i don't know).

Thanks for your patience wallijohn...

HERE is a link to my DSL reports... erm, report from this morning... whilst still not getting my full 512k, that could be due to the DSL server being on the other side of the planet... and the speed i'm getting there is well, nearly one HUNDRED times quicker than what I was getting at the begining of the week, so no complaints here
biggrin.gif

Fingers crossed the speed is here to stay
biggrin.gif

Thanks

Duncan

(oh, btw, i've been told that my ISP has incredibly good pings, from a gamers point of view... is that right from what that webpage says?... Thanks again)

Nov 16, 2002 at 10:42 AM Post #12 of 14
Nov 16, 2002 at 10:49 AM Post #13 of 14
Duncan, 329 isn't bad.

too slow? turn off your dsl modem and then turn on. re-run dsl reports. you'll eventually get a nice 480 - 500 line. then don't turn off the modem to keep the ip address.

one word of caution: GET A FIREWALL. i was hacked at least three times WITH zonelarm running. so if you can spring for a dsl/cable modem router (about $50) it'll really help. heck at least your ping is under 100. you may want to download the 'large' registry mod, right click, 'install'. it MAY help. i played around with a lot MTU settings, paid $15 for a program, etc. - and the best thing to do was just reset the modem until i got a fast connection.

i also found that dsl downloaded pages faster than cable. go figure. here out west they only have dsl-256k.

Nov 16, 2002 at 10:58 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

did a google search for w2k AND msconfig:

Thanks WalliJohn, you're awesome. I'll read up on this later as we're heading out the door to a Norwegian lutefisk eating time!!! YUCK! But, my wife's mom and many friends of the family are from Norway/Sweden, so we all get together and go once a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back