Internal amp wiring
Nov 4, 2008 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

suicidal_orange

500+ Head-Fier
Sorry if this gets asked often, but the search results weren't helpful at all.

I have built a CK²III using 0.5mm solid silver wire for the internal wiring. After experimenting with thicker wires on my portable mini-mini the sound is more bassy and a bit louder - would using thicker wire in an amp have a similar effect? I don't want to have to swap back to the thin solid stuff if trying doesn't change much, as it was a nightmare getting it cased up!

Thanks for any thoughts on this
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 7
I didn't believe in wire voodoo, but using a 7 inch mini-mini where a 1 inch would do seemed a bit stupid (and probably put undue stress on the connectors when crammed into my bag). The only spare wire I had was thick but it didn't need to bend much so I went with it. Wasn't expecting a change in the sound but there was one - guess it was just due to the old connections becoming weakened from abuse rather than the change.

Thanks for confirming it should make no difference - I much prefer working with thinner wires, but if I ever build another amp they will be stranded to ease casing it
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #5 of 7
he neither confirmed nor denied it
icon10.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #6 of 7
I like to use Teflon wire. It doesn't melt or char if I accidentally touch it with the iron. That, spaghetti on every lead and clean joints are my priorities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back