Interferance
Mar 21, 2019 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

HiFiRebel

100+ Head-Fier
I have no idea where to post this, I hope this is the right place. Basically, since installing speakers on my desk (and moving stuff around) I experience strange interferance. I can only hear it when I have my headphones and amp on (cant hear it through speakers). Adjusting volume knob on my amp makes no change to the volume of interferance. It sounds like phone crackling. It varies on time of the day, sometimes it is loud enough to spoil the music when listening to headphones, sometimes it is barely audible. It doesnt seem to go away at all though.

I have also noticed that the interferance increases when internet network traffic to my computer increases, like opening a website for example. My desktop PC is connected to internet via homeplugs, ie internet goes through electric network from kitchen to my office upstairs.

Strange thing is that I have had internet connected like that for many years and never experienced anything like that.

Recently I bought a set of bookshelf speakers and put them on my desk, in order to fit them I had to move stuff around. That is when I noticed ot for the first time.

Since then I have disconnected everything I could to isolate the issue, it only goes away if I switch the network off to my PC or my audio equipment. I have moved stuff around, no change. I have tried connecting audio equipment to a different mains plugs, no change. Basically I am stuck for ideas. It takes away the enjoyment of listening to music for me.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated since I am at a stage of banging my head on the wall.

My audio chain:
PC --> Topping D50 DAC (connected via USB) --> Emotiva BasX A-100 amp --> Argon Mk3 headphones / Jamo S803 speakers

My network chain:
Phone line main plug (kitchen downstairs) --> router (kitchen) --> homeplug (kitchen) --> homeplug (office upstairs) --> network switch (connected to NAS and PC) --> PC

Are there any products to buy to reduce this type of interferance?

Mar 21, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #2 of 9
Mar 21, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 9
Thank you. I'm in UK so the product you recommended is not available here, but from what I can gather I need to look into buying a better / cleaner extension cable? I have actually connected the amp to a different power supply in a different room yesterday just to check if it will help, but it made no difference whatsoever.

As for the solution that worked for the OP in that thread, my amp has only one input (Emotiva BasX A-100), so the issue must be somewhere else.

Mar 21, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #4 of 9
I cant say 100% that your issue is electricity or not,but the fact that you mention that it gets worse at certain times of the day indicates that at least could be part of it.
It also sounds like your computer is causing some of the noise. You might look into a cheap laptop to use as your music server,and then use your current comp to do the normal browsing and work.

Its not an easy problem to diagnose.

Mar 21, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 9
I cant say 100% that your issue is electricity or not,but the fact that you mention that it gets worse at certain times of the day indicates that at least could be part of it.
It also sounds like your computer is causing some of the noise. You might look into a cheap laptop to use as your music server,and then use your current comp to do the normal browsing and work.

Its not an easy problem to diagnose.
I agree. I have been pulling my hair out for the last few days trying to first, isolate the issue and then try to resolve it. I'm pretty certain it is electrics. I have definitely noticed a correlation between the crackling noise in my headphones and internet network traffic in my computer. Usually late at night it is most quiet and goes louder during the day.

I do have a laptop as well, but my desktop PC is my workstation and entertainment station. I would like to avoid having to use the laptop on a daily basis as well. I will leave that solution as a worst case scenario, for if I cannot fix the original issue.

What's most annoying is that I have never had a problem like that before. All I've done is moved my NAS and network switch to the other end of the desk, swapped some network cables (longer for shorter, shorter for longer) and removed a couple of unused devices. And of course installed the speakers. That's it.

I might order a new / better surge protected extension lead to see if that helps.

Mar 21, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #6 of 9
Do you have an alternative source(phone,DAP,CD player) that you can plug into the amp and see if the issue persists?

Mar 21, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #7 of 9
Do you have an alternative source(phone,DAP,CD player) that you can plug into the amp and see if the issue persists?
I could connect my phone tomorrow after I find the correct cable, but I can imagine it would be fine, since when I disconnect the cable between DAC - amp the issue goes away.

Basically whenever I disconnect anywhere along my audio chain or network chain the issue goes away. Nothing else seems to have any impact on the issue.

I have just ordered a better surge protected extension lead (for Saturday delivery).

Mar 21, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #8 of 9
Mar 23, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #9 of 9
I'm happy to report, all is well in the HiFiRebel world again.

The new surge protector arrived and... it brought me peace and blissful silence. No more crackling or any noise on the line. More testing needed as I only just installed it, but so far it is a :thumbsup: from me. Thanks all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back