Interesting question about burning in headphones.
Oct 27, 2009 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Alc Jr

100+ Head-Fier
We all know that some headphones require a burn-in time to perform at their best.
Now say that you burn a pair of headphones in on something like classical music, and then play techno and rap on them, would there be a difference in the sound as opposed to someone who burned in their headphones with rap/techno to begin with?

Oct 27, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #2 of 11
I would venture to say no, at least not a noticeable difference. The idea behind burn-in is to bring the driver to its optimal flexibility by... well... flexing it. Though I can see where you're coming from (with classical having some bias towards the high frequencies and rap/hip-hop being quite the opposite), I can't imagine that the variations are significant enough over a lengthy burn-in period to impact the way the driver flexes. Besides, the fact that burn-in is done at above-listening volumes should pretty much guarantee that the driver is optimally flexible at listening-volume amplitudes.

Oct 27, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #3 of 11
Oct 27, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #4 of 11
You can use the burn in mp3's on this site to speed the process along.
Headphone break in tones
The site says 24 hours is enough, but ideally, you want around 100+ hours of burn in as listed in the burn in faq.

Oct 27, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ImprovisedEarDevice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can also try this site. It's got a wide range of freq and noises to choose from for your burn in playlist.

I like your link much better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #7 of 11
I have used burnin files and regular music and find I prefer using regular music. I usually set my entire library to play so I get a mix of everything. I do have a special playlist though that has a mix of pinknoise, rain tracks, and heavy bass drumming I will usually subject a new set of phones to this for at least 10 hours as well though. I find if I use heavy drumming with phones that are bass light it helps them get a bit stronger in the bass department and weirdly enough I find bass heavy phones can be toned down a bit by the same heavy drumming. White and pink noise seem to really help tone down hissing or sibilance as well. So I guess I'm really saying do both methods LOL.

Oct 27, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #8 of 11
Some of us don't intentionally burn in headphones at all. I just listen to them.

I've taken myn collection to a few meets, including a CanJam. No one has suggested that they were burned in "improperly" or that they should have been burned in a different way.

Further, I have listened to others' of the same model as mine - some intentionally burned in - and I don't really notice a difference.

You can't hurt headphones by burning in and it doesn't really cost anything, so do what you want. But I think it's a waste of time when I could be listening. The benefit of listening, to me, far outweighs ritual and ceremony.

Oct 27, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #9 of 11
I usually burn my new phones in at night and when not using them (for my big phones I let them burnin while at work) that way I get to hear the progression of sound change and enjoy them while they burn in without having to use them for 6 months before they get fully broken in.

Oct 27, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I usually burn my new phones in at night and when not using them (for my big phones I let them burnin while at work) that way I get to hear the progression of sound change and enjoy them while they burn in without having to use them for 6 months before they get fully broken in.

I'm exactly the same way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back