interesting movies?
Mar 5, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #16 of 52
You've never heard of the Criterion Collection?

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #17 of 52
I am going to assume that you have a good foundation in the classics. If not, please check them out. There are many many good movies out there only lacking the recent seal or approval.

As far as movies in the latter category....I third City of God; which is a amazing film. Others would include:

Lost in Translation - One of the better movies of recent memory. This one is for anyone who enjoys an adult story. In fact, I think this one will age into a true classic.
Crash - the story telling in conventional, but the message is briliant
Requiem for a Dream - Drugs are bad mmmmmkay?
The Constant Gardner - Beautifully shot thriller
Memento - Another by the book who done underneath a brilliant plot device

Any screenplay by Charlie Kaufman - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Adaption, Being John Malkovich
Any film by Wes Anderson - The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, The Royal Tennebaums, Rushmore

Actually, and just rent anything from Focus Features. Right now, their kind of what Miramax was in the 90's - producing great stuff that has indie cred with enough accessibility to make one not wish they went to film school.

On the horizon - The History of Violence and Brokeback Moutain are well worth one's time if one isn't afraid of gore with the former and stereotypes with the later.

Hope that helps! And like music, one can just keep getting deeper and deeper. For slight snooty reviews that lean favorably toward indies, check out
www.slantmagazine.com

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #18 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeek
I thought that was by far the weakest of Andersons movies. Bottle Rocket, Rushmore and The Royal Tennenbaums are just so far above it. I recommend all of these, starting with Rushmore.

Your first next rental should be The Red Violin. An amazing movie.

Also see Run Lola Run, Requiem for a Dream and Amelie.

I haven't seen any of the other movies, so I wouldn't know. I did enjoy the Life Auquatic though.

Another suggestion is Oh Brother Where Art Thou - funny, but not stupidly slapstick.

(edit, misspelled "thou" - time for sleep.
tongue.gif
)

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #19 of 52
Waking Life
Barton Fink
Brain Candy
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Twelve Monkey's
City of the Lost Children
Memento (haven't seen it but would like to)
Mulholland Drive
Sexy Beast
Anything written by Charlie Kaufman (Being John Malkovich, Adaptation, etc.)

Definitely agree with these:
Requiem for a Dream
Barbarian Invasions
Brazil

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #20 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
Red Violin was good, but it wasn't great as I had hoped (my aunt loved it as much as you though).

Rushmore was decent.

Run Lola Run was good for the first 20-30 minutes, but didn't hold my interest at those levels for the rest of the film.

I really liked Amelie a lot.

Everything that you mentioned is certainly worth a rental.

My experience with The Red Violin was great because it was something I had never heard of. It was recently released on video and it was just a blind grab off the shelf. I had no idea what to expect and was floored.

Rushmore is for those that love Bill Murray. He shines in this flick. It helps if you are already a fan of Andersons work.

I'd also add The Big Lebowski to the list. Truly terrific.

Boondock Saints was a lot of fun.

Whoever recommended 12 Monkeys is bang on. It's one of my favorites. Bruce Willis is amazing in this movie.

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #21 of 52
Unbreakable
Black Hawk Down (great, gritty piece on the '91 Somalia incident - like a modern version of Saving Private Ryan in a way)

Also you might have already seen them, but Se7en and Fight Club are amazing films that make you think and shock you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #22 of 52
Ghost in the Shell 2
Mulholland Dr.
Thin Red Line
Dark City
I (heart) Huckabees
2046 (Very slow, but worth it I think)
ExistenZe
Blade Runner
Rubber Johnny (But only if you have the nerve)
Eraserhead
Brazil
Tetsuo
Man Bites Dog (Again, nerve is key here)
New Rose Hotel (Again, slow but worth it)
Alphaville
Equilibrium (Well... Not too much thinking... But a film that is worth seeing as an anti-dote to Matrix style sci-fi laziness. Also, has some genuine thoughts... Though all are recycled from Orwel, Huxley and a very small amount of PKD)
Gattaca
Dead Man (Slow but definitely worth it!)
Bamboozled
25th Hour

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by blip
25th Hour

Wow, there are so many I forgot. That movie was brilliant - quite a nice ode to American in a mourning time.

Good choice! Gattica as well; watch Jude Law's perfomance and realize why Hollywood picked him for the A list.

Good stuff Blip.

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #24 of 52
thanks for all the recommendations guys! this outta keep me busy for a few weeks
icon10.gif
. I have seen lost in translation but wasn't very impressed. I can see why a lot of people like it, but perhaps of the age difference I cannot relate.
Crash was trash
tongue.gif
I didn't enjoy it at all. It felt like the entire time I was supposed to be sympathizing with the characters and appreciating the theme of the movie, yet I did not connect with the film at all. It felt more like I was being preached to rather than entertained.

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #25 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
Crash was trash...yet I did not connect with the film at all. It felt more like I was being preached to rather than entertained.

Indeed, that is why there is chocolate and vanilla. Feel free to ignore my recs then.
tongue.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #26 of 52
Here's a strange, older, very well filmed movie I hardly ever see mentioned:

The Reflecting Skin

It's got Viggo Mortensen (Strider-LOTR) and Coil samples some lines from it on Stolen and Contaminated Songs.

Most assuredly NOT a feel-good movie....dark and disturbing, a la Blue Velvet.

Oh yeah, gotta mention Primer, too.
biggrin.gif
This movie should be a big hit with the DIY crowd.

Mar 5, 2006 at 6:13 AM Post #29 of 52
Stay withEwan McGregor is due out late this month on video and was a pretty good one if you like a "thinking" type of movie.

Devils Advocate was also great despite KR's normal acting quality. I'll second 25th Hour and Mulholland Dr both were excellent.

The Island which also came out for rent recently was also surprisingly good.

Mar 5, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #30 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
Last night I watched Donnie Darko for the first time, something I had been putting off for years, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I find that I almost never want to see movies at the theater, and I only accompany my girlfriend to one if there is nothing else to do. This is because there is really such utter junk in the theaters these days and nothing interesting to watch. Last week we saw Underworld Evolution which was mediocre at best. Can anyone recommend some good interesting thinker movies that aren't junk food for the brain? I've had enough of the mass marketed horror flicks, comedies involving Will Ferrel and his rat pack(as my gf affectionately calls them), etc. I am going to rent Clockwork Orange tonight, which is also a movie I have been putting off for too long. Anything else I should pick up?

ps-I watched Lord of War last week as well and it is a great movie, I would definately recommend it!

Donnie Darko is an interesting film. Entirely original and unique. I enjoyed the use of music througout the film--especially the use of Tears for Fears' "Head Over Heels". This part of the film was especially surreal

Clockwork Orange is one of the best movies ever, period. Let us know what you think of it, people almost indefintely seem to love it or hate it.

If you like the film, try some of Kubrick's other films like Barry Lyndon, 2001. Make sure you check out Full Metal Jacket though for sure as this is an excellent film whether you're a fan of Kubrick's entire repertoire or not.

Lord of War was okay. It's commentary was bit too overt at times but it's worth a rent. Nick Cage did a good job--but Jared Leto stole the show.

In terms of recommendations, here are a few:
*Vanilla Sky
*Any Kubrick film
*American Psycho
*Blow
*Good Will Hunting
*Apocalypse Now
*Memento
*The Matrix's
*Seven
*What Dreams May Come
*Millenium: Season 1...great Chris Carter TV series--an awesome look into the criminal mind. Very, very underrated show that unfortunately went under a lot of people's radar.
*X-Files: Colonization Boxset...one of the 4 mythology boxsets, and the best one. Even if you're not a huge fan of X Files, this is easy to follow and anyone would love it.

Hope this helps!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back