Interesting Dilemma. For you cable buffs.
Jun 17, 2008 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Tridacnid

1000+ Head-Fier
So today I recieved my Grado SR325s, and I love them. Only complaint on opening then was that the rods were pretty darn loose. So I go and plug them into my headphone rig in my bedroom, and lo and behold, I hear everything, but it sounds like I'm sitting in the 25th row and the vocals aren't there. So I unplug my Grados from the extension cable I made and plug them directly into the amp. And everything works as it should.
At that point I became a little angry at my extension cable. Stupid thing was cheap and easy to make, but it shouldn't just break like that, it worked yesterday. So I plug in my Sextetts, and everything works great.
Now I'm really confused. I plug my Grados back into the extension cable, and guess what? NO VOCALS! I start to pull them out, and all of a sudden, the vocals appear, with the cable a fraction of an inch out of the normal position when inserted into the jack.

I guess this gives me a reason to get them recabled and rod locks added at headphile, but I want to know why this is happening. It's so weird
confused.gif

Thanks,
Tri

Jun 17, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 10
Sounds like a jack problem (TRS tip of headphone), not the cable. If the other phones work fine with the extension cord, and these sound fine, but only when "adjusted," problem is likely with the headphone tip.

Maybe just a re-termination with a better jack? Though if they go to Larry, it would be a waste not to give them full treatment!
wink.gif

EDIT: Hey, I just broke 1500 posts! I am supremus!

Jun 17, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #4 of 10
Email Larry and get his opinion. I've only heard the v2 cables.

From what I've READ, I personally might prefer the BlackSilver; but based on your comment, maybe the copper is for you. Again, Larry knows best.

Jun 18, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #6 of 10
Out of curiosity, what is the resale value on a headphiled headphone (cable only)? I could just recable myself, and save a lot of money, and use bluetak instead of rodlocks. Obviously, the recable would probably not be as nice as Larry's.

Jun 18, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tridacnid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of curiosity, what is the resale value on a headphiled headphone (cable only)? I could just recable myself, and save a lot of money, and use bluetak instead of rodlocks. Obviously, the recable would probably not be as nice as Larry's.

That depends on the worksmanship. I don't personally find Larry's choice of cable design that aesthetically pleasing (though his woodies are a different story indeed).

Jun 18, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #8 of 10
One thing I DID like about the v2 cable I had was that he used a softer jacket for the cable; very little if any microphonics!

My personal favorite recable has been RAL, heard it both on AKG 271S's and multiple Senns.

The RnB Grace 5-2 was a good second.

I'm thinking I'd love Apurespound's v3 cable based on all I've read, someday I may reterm either my AKG 701's or Ultrasone 780's from Alex. His work is great, too.

I liked Larry's v2 for price/performance. Can't speak for the Blackxxxxxx series, though.

Jun 18, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #9 of 10
Sounds like you were having an electrical problem. Getting them recabled to an insanely long length would be expensive with Larry's prices. I'd research other options. Grado makes an extension cable if I'm not mistaken. Might want to just pony up for that one. Their gold-plated connectors are good quality for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back