Interconnects....best bang for the buck?
Apr 2, 2004 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

KenW

Headphoneus Supremus
Some opinions on this? I'm looking to stay under $200.

So far, I've come across these:

http://www.amusicdirect.com/products...s/psaicx50.asp

I've also seen several on Todd's site from Cardas(a bit rich for me right now) to DeMarzio to the economy Grado lineup.

One interesting buy would be a set of 1M Acoustic Zen WOW's at $150 or so.

Have I missed any bargain performers out there?

Thanks.

Apr 2, 2004 at 6:05 PM Post #2 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by KenW
Some opinions on this? I'm looking to stay under $200.

So far, I've come across these:

http://www.amusicdirect.com/products...s/psaicx50.asp

I've also seen several on Todd's site from Cardas(a bit rich for me right now) to DeMarzio to the economy Grado lineup.

One interesting buy would be a set of 1M Acoustic Zen WOW's at $150 or so.

Have I missed any bargain performers out there?

Thanks.

KenW, I bought a new set of Cardas Neutral Reference from a dealer on Audiogon for $190
If you want his email address, just PM me.

Apr 2, 2004 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 32
Otherwise there have been lots of threads about the Bogdan Silver Spirits, Erics' Nitrogens, Grover MKIIIs and Kimber KCAGs. Ya pays ya money ya takes ya choice....
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 3:55 PM Post #5 of 32
KenW:

Must you buy a brand new interconnecting cable? Would you consider purchasing a used one?

I have experience with both the DiMarzio High Resolution and M-PATH along with the Cardas Neutral Reference. The DiMarzio ICs perform admirably considering their asking prices respectively. Warm, impressionistic, and a tad bit of emphases in the lower midrange / bass (IMHO). I found the difference between the HR and M-PATH ICs to be one of subtlety and refinement; I had to listen extraordinarily closely for weeks before I could justify the added expense.

The CNR strike a balance between the scales of neutrality / transparancy and warmth. They have tons of speed, resolution, and extreme details. For the most part, they disappear into my reference system and let me hear how other components are working together. I trust these Cardas NR ICs. However, they are not cheap. Street price for 0.5m is approximately $180 USD but look for a used pair for slightly less on Audiogon.

I hope you do a search. There are literally miles of solution awaiting you.

Apr 3, 2004 at 6:54 PM Post #7 of 32
The Grovers mentioned around here lately are unanimously lauded for $130 shipped and I would get them if I didn't already get a great deal on some Bogdans. Also, Jan Meier's cables are quite intersting for only $130 as well, if you don't want to go the silver route. I don't think anything Jan sells is less than a very good value for your hard-earned money. All decent cables should sound good, and they're more or less tone controls for your system so that should guide your cable-design choices.

There's a number of cables really, its quite crowded out there. Check around here and A'gon. There are definitely some deals out there on the used market.

Apr 3, 2004 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Welly Wu
KenW:

Street price for 0.5m is approximately $180 USD but look for a used pair for slightly less on Audiogon.

Actually, MRRP is $385 on a 0.5m set of Cardas NR. Audiogon normally has a couple of sellers selling for around the $220 mark.

Apr 4, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #10 of 32
Depends on your source, amp, (with speakers also the speakers, room, carpet, wallpaper, size of your windows, etc.) headphone, headphonecable, ...

Nietzsche

Apr 4, 2004 at 6:45 PM Post #11 of 32
I forgot something: your taste.

Nietzsche

Apr 8, 2004 at 6:21 AM Post #12 of 32
I just went through auditioning about 15 different ICs. Shunyata, Nordost, Monster (blech), and Acoustic Zen. This discussion is really dependent on your components, audition before you buy! That said, in my system (Linn, Linn, and more Linn) I think Nordost ICs smoke everything else out there, AZ silver reference a close second. Buy used! audiogon! Nordost SPM are balanced and tight tight tight; Red Dawn, blue heavens are nice, but brighter.

Apr 8, 2004 at 6:38 AM Post #13 of 32
Try the new Eichmann ICs reviewed over at Positive Feedback. The guy said they compared rather well to ICs costing a lot more. At about $200 this is where my money would go. Well, either there or to Eric343 for a pair of Nitrogen cables.

Apr 8, 2004 at 9:40 PM Post #14 of 32
Ahh, the hazy, murky underworld of interconnects. I got what I believe are some decent ones as a starter set, Tara Labs Prism 1100i. Considering the cost of the system, they seemed right on the money.

But where to go from here? What's a good buy, and what's simply a good bye? How far up the chain can I go, and what is too far up the chain? It's all so confusing.
frown.gif

Doesn't make it any easier that it will need to perform well with Senn 600s and 650s (two headphone system. Senn 650s coming soon) and that I listen to every kind of music but jazz, and sometimes a little of that too.
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2004 at 9:14 AM Post #15 of 32
The VAN DEN HULL THE FIRST ULTIMATE is my favourite.
It IS metalfree and SOUNDS metalfree. Try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back