Interconnects around $500
Nov 7, 2008 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Audio-Omega

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been considering the following cables :

Nordost Heimdall
Tara Labs RSC Air 2
Kimber Select KS-1011

What other interconnects are available around that price ?

Nov 7, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 23
You should also check out cables by XLO, Transparent, Cardas, Audioquest, Straightwire and MIT. I've owned the MIT 330 CVT II's which are in that price range.

I still use the Tara Labs RSC AIR which I've had for about 8 years or so and that is the one cable I will always keep. Nice smooth detailed mids, perfect for female vocals using tubes.

Good Luck with your search.

Nov 7, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 23
Audioquest Colorado. I like mine quite a bit: more body, slightly warmer, and more balanced top to bottom than Nordost Frey. Plus it's always broken-in with the DBS.

Nov 7, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 23
Poiema R-V3 By Ridge Street Audio

Highly recommended pure-silver cable, with natural (most probably cotton) isolation.
Absolutely love my Poiema!!! Signature.
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #8 of 23
If you're talking US$500, give Duratone in Canberra a call and ask them what they can do you for the equivalent in $AUD. If you can get a set of The First Ultimate carbon cables you wont be disappointed. There's also the new Orchid copper ICs, but they may be out of your price range.

Nov 8, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #9 of 23
Have you upgraded your power cables or looked into a filter/conditioner? That can make a siginificant impact on the clarity of your sound.

Nov 8, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #10 of 23
noone will give You right answer - some cables match one rig and don't match another - buy fev IC's and You'll choose the one You like best - one is for sure - cable companies make their cables so every model higher in the price list is slightly better while retaining similar sound signature

Nov 8, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #11 of 23
Different strokes for different folks! My most expensive IC retail for $250 but I bought them used for about $90.

I do agree that if you have a $500 source you should not spen $500 on IC plus another $500 on a power cord. Much better to spend $1,500 on a new source.

I am not saying that is the case w/ the OP, it is just an example for pointing out my opinion.

Nov 9, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #13 of 23
I have a power cable for amp but not filter/conditioner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you upgraded your power cables or looked into a filter/conditioner? That can make a siginificant impact on the clarity of your sound.

Nov 9, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are these guys for real???

We sure are!
My general consensus are that cables should make up about 10% of your total spending on a system. Hence $500 or $1,000 on cables makes sense to me, if you have spent $5-10,000 on source, amplification and headphones.

Of course, to each their own.

Nov 9, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #15 of 23
To the OP: IMO, it's better to go for used interconnects. Then $500 would go a LONG way...

By the way, I also suggest Ridge street audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back