Interconnects and HD600 cable for warmth
Apr 25, 2008 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Covenant

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm researching a potential balanced rig, and trying to come up with a HD600 recable and interconnects that would provide best system synergy. They would need to be the warm side of neutral, with weight and presence, but also good seperation, microdynamics and detail, and frequency extension across the spectrum - balanced but coloured, so to speak.

I know that Blue Dragon, Equinox, Zu Mobius, Cardas, and so forth often get touted as the 'traditional' choices for the HD600, but i'd like to know if anyone has done extensive comparisons in highly resolving systems and determined which one sounds superior. Cabling is always a section that is prone to alot of snake oil and spun moonbeams, so i find it difficult to just go off manufacturer's websites when it comes to choosing cabling.

Based on what i know of the differences between silver and copper, i know i'm most likely after a pure copper cable, and right now a black dragon recable/black dragon interconnects looks most promising. However i noted that many Head-Fi members had build quality issues with Silver Dragon cables breaking on them, which may not speak well for the design of the cables to begin with.

Thoughts/impressions/ideas?

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #2 of 9
I have two cables from Moon Audio and have had absolutely no durability issues. I believe that the breakage problems were limited to the first version of the Silver Dragon, flexing of the silver wire. These have been corrected in the second version and do not apparently extend to either the Blue or Black Dragon lines.

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #3 of 9
Of the cables mentioned in your post the Silver Dragon is the least warm. Followed by the Zu, BD, Cardas & Equinox tied. I would get the equinox for what your looking for. Even though i prefer the Zu.
wink.gif
I have owned or lived with all the cables you have mentioned.

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #4 of 9
I'm curious as to why no one seems to have recabled HD600/650 with the Black Dragon. I often see BD recables as one of the 'traditional' pairings, but why never the Black? I had thought that Drew touted the Black as his top-of-the-line copper cable.

If its a cost issue (aka, cabling costing more than the headphones), then why do people happily invest in the likes of the Jena wire?

Apr 26, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #5 of 9
If you want the warmth from your cable, I'd suggest getting the Vampire wires. They're warm sounding in comparison with the Jena, which has transparent and clear sound signature.
The price of Vampire is rather cheap. Don't jump at those commercial Vampires cable for Senn. They are ridiculously expensive. If you can DIY, just do it!

Apr 26, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #6 of 9
Damn HeadphoneAddict's comments on the APS V3 is making me rethink my choices now
frown.gif

Equinox i'm disinclined to go for, for a purely silly reason - i'd like for my headphone recable and interconnects to match
cool.gif
Not the best of logic i know, but there's just something aesthetic about interconnects/recabling all being of the same brand and flavour.

So far i'm thinking either:
Moon Audio Black Dragon interconnects/Black Dragon recable
Cardas Quadlink interconnects/Cardas recable
APureSound V3 interconnects/APS V3 recable

Apr 26, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #7 of 9
i think you should get over the inclination to match color.
I also think you should look at audio metallurgy's interconnects.
I recently tried a pair of their GA-0 interconnects in place of my audioquest columbia's and last night picked up another pair off the audiogon auction page. every week they have a few pairs that you can snatch up for a fraction of their retail price, mine retail for over 900, i got them for 210. They are the best cable i have come across. the signal they carry is full of life and since putting them between my DAC and amp i've found myself listening to more digital and less vinyl, they've allowed me to see whats missing in my vinyl set-up. i'd urge you to check them out, they do the whole 30 day trial thing so if they're not to your liking you dont loose out on the cash.

ps. they dont do headphone cables so youre out of luck in matching. but the blue sleeve of a cardas headphone recable might look quite nice with the bright yellow of the audio metallurgy

Apr 28, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #9 of 9
i know. i cant make you do anything. Your closing yourself off to a lot of possibilities though. I felt much the same way as you for quite sometime... all audioquest cables, all with similar jacket patterning and coloring that would look slick when paired. then the bright yellow things showed up and i'm now of the camp that prizes sound potential over color coding, in the end a great cable seems to always look great with other great cables.

to each her/his own.
have fun hope you find what youre looking for

Users who are viewing this thread

Back