Interconnect with a warm sound under $200
Oct 21, 2002 at 5:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Gergor

1000+ Head-Fier
I have been checking reviews on interconnect cables under $200. Looks like the popular ones like Kimber Silver Streak and Nordost Blue Heaven, etc are all on the bright side. Apparently at this price range, people are focusing on resolution of detail and clarity. My question is therefore, is there a IC in this price range which has a good warm sound without murkiness?

Btw, does anyone have experience with analysis plus copper oval? It seems like a good candidate, but I haven't been able to find any review on this IC.

Oct 22, 2002 at 6:25 AM Post #6 of 25
I have been searching cable reviews; Looks like Cardas Microtwin or Quadlink 5c are warm cables. Can any Cardas owner elaborate the qualities of these cables please?

Oct 22, 2002 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 25
Just took a look at MIT cable. The little box attached to the cable is kind of clunky. I have a small foot print systems sitting on a small foot print rack. I don't think it will work out.

Outlaw looks interesting, though some say it's too "thick". Yet it's so cheap, I figure I'll just try it anyways.

I now also have my eye on Kimber Hero, according to some reviews, it's not as bright as silver streak and PBJ, yet it has pretty good sound stage and clarity. Looks like a promising cable, anyone has positive/negative feedback on this cable?

Oct 22, 2002 at 7:52 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by cyclingasronomer
do all the mit cables have the boxes now? mine didn't, but that was a few years ago.

Well, if the pictures on audioadvisor are accurate, both MI330 (plus) and Terminator now have boxes attached. In fact, MI330 (plus) seems to have a bigger box than the terminator.
frown.gif

Oct 22, 2002 at 9:02 PM Post #11 of 25
I've tried Kimber SS and Cardas Microtwin; given the quality of your source, I'd advise against the Cardas..it's a bit too warm..good for masking the crapulence of one's budget CD player, but that's about it. If you'd like a slightly better balanced cable, try Harmonic Tech Truthlink (still warmer than I prefer) or Acoustic Zen WOW.

Better yet, look around for a used Tara Labs RSC Air 3..I used to own a pair before getting these Ultraconductors and can attest to their spacious soundstage and warm-side-of-neutral tone.

- Wasif.

Oct 22, 2002 at 10:10 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by wasifazim
I've tried Kimber SS and Cardas Microtwin; given the quality of your source, I'd advise against the Cardas..it's a bit too warm..good for masking the crapulence of one's budget CD player, but that's about it. If you'd like a slightly better balanced cable, try Harmonic Tech Truthlink (still warmer than I prefer) or Acoustic Zen WOW.

Better yet, look around for a used Tara Labs RSC Air 3..I used to own a pair before getting these Ultraconductors and can attest to their spacious soundstage and warm-side-of-neutral tone.

- Wasif.

wasifazim,

AZ WOW! I totally missed this one! It's a little over my budget, but still affordable. So how do you describe this cable? More on the neutral side? You also mentioned you tried Kimble SS, would you please tell me what you think of it? How do you comapare SS to WOW?

Thanks!

Oct 23, 2002 at 2:11 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Gergor
wasifazim,

AZ WOW! I totally missed this one! It's a little over my budget, but still affordable. So how do you describe this cable? More on the neutral side? You also mentioned you tried Kimble SS, would you please tell me what you think of it? How do you comapare SS to WOW?

Thanks!

Gergor,

The ones I've mentioned are warm to varying degrees, including the WOW, which I liked quite a bit; the exception is Kimber SS, which I thought was bright and a little lean on the bass, even after burn-in. It'd be good with an all-tube system..that said, I can't say I've ever tried a silver (or primarily silver; the SS uses copper wire for ground I believe) interconnect I was totally happy with. Perhaps I haven't aimed high (read: expensive) enough, because I've read nothing but raves about HT Pro Silway Mk.II and Kimber Select, both of which use silver conductors.

- Wasif.

Oct 23, 2002 at 2:12 AM Post #15 of 25
The Virtual Dynamics Auditions are still on sale right now. You can pick up a 1/2 meter pair, or for $200 you can get a full one meter pair!! They are very heavy gauge copper, treated cryogenically, with their proprietary ProteX, and some really wicked dynamic filtering. should be hard to beat for the price!!

If you want to check them out, follow the link. Their home page announces the sale:
http://www.virtualdynamics.ca/home/

Lord Bless,
doug p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back