recephasan

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am shopping for interconnects and have come up with 4 that Headroom carries:

Grado Signature $150
DiMarzio M-Path (1m) $150
DiMarzio (1m) $89
Kimber PBJ (1m) $79

of course, my selection is not limited by these and I'd appreciate any suggestions.

My main question is how the Grado cable compares with the rest of the bunch.
Also, what is good/best for ~$150?

I have a Technics CDP and am planning to upgrade soon.

I would like to spend money ONCE on interconnects and would not mind spending an extra $70, if it's worth it. I have wasted much money on 'upgrading' headphones, computer stuff, etc, so nailing it the first time around is cheaper for me.

Yes, I know the 'SEARCH' button, and I have used it.

Thanks in advance

Jul 15, 2002 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 14
I'm pretty happy with Outlaw PCAs at around $40/m pair they really can't be touched.

Careful though, no doubt this thread will get crapped on by someone telling you ICs don't make a difference.

Jul 15, 2002 at 11:55 PM Post #4 of 14
I also used to be on the ICs don't matter side . . . but, am now singin' a different tune.

The first question you need to ask yourself is how you like your music. Do you need a bright cable or a warm cable?

I know my AudioQuest DiamondBacks ($89) sound brigher than my Cardas Crosslinks ($89). The Cardas just sound fuller in the base then the AudioQuest.

My best suggestion would be to take your headphone amp and primary headpones with you to all the high-fi shops around town and give as many ICs you can a listen.

Jul 16, 2002 at 12:03 AM Post #5 of 14
I like warm better, esp. since Grados reveal lots of detail.

It's a good idea to audition cables but most shops want to sell what they have which is not necessarily the best for me. I think I'll take that route when I've narrowed my choices down.

Jul 16, 2002 at 2:00 AM Post #6 of 14
If you go around to your local high-fi shops, be wary of listening to any cable right out of the package. I didn't think cables needed breaking in, but found the sound changes quite a bit in the first few days of use -- usually for the better.

If you like warmer sound, I'm really happy with my little Cardas Crosslinks. I know these aren't the best cables in the world, but I enjoy them quite a bit.

Jul 21, 2002 at 4:16 AM Post #9 of 14
You should scratch the PBJs from the list if you want the ICs to warm-up the sound.

The Outlaws are more in between warm and bright, they give you a very good amount of detail without the headaches, very neutral, and are cheaper than any of the others mentioned.

Jul 27, 2002 at 3:32 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by recephasan
Got the 1.8m Outlaw PCA and the Sony DVP-NS500V.
Now my setup is adequate!
Thank you all.

Pretty incredible for the price, eh?

Jul 27, 2002 at 11:57 PM Post #12 of 14
Yeah!
I got the Outlaw at $55+$10s&h = $65 but got the good deal with the 500V
Good Guys had only the display unit in store, which was marked down from $230 to $185. I got it for $125 (the remote is missing the battery cover). Not bad, eh?

The outlaws sound like they need a long break-in, though. What do you guys think?

Jul 28, 2002 at 8:11 PM Post #13 of 14
The Outlaws need a good 48 hours break in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back