Interconnect and Power Cable Experts... what would you chose?
Aug 1, 2002 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

88Sound

500+ Head-Fier
I have accumulated a lot of headphones and amps and am now turning my thoughts to cables. With few exceptions (Cardas HD600 cable, Grado Headphone extention cord) I personally have not heard any differences in cables....because I've only tried bottom of the barrel so far and have done no comparisons.

Let's say my budget is $500. I've got a stock Pioneer DV47A source, the amps I'm currently using are the Grace 901 (a power cord could be an option for this) and the EMP. I run my power through the non-ups side (surge protection) of a Tripp-Lite UPS that powers a Furman AR-1215 power regulator (If your outlet power is between 100V & 137V this device outputs 120V) and finally all my devices are powered from this.

I'm currently using AR RCA/RCA interconnects @ around $20 per meter and all stock power cords.

Since the 901 can accept digital input I'm interested in your thoughts on digital interconnects also.

Can I get all cables within my budget and make a big difference or should I blow it all on that one special cable and wait until I can afford to upgrade further. Is my source too lowly for a power cord to make a difference? Should I look into Mods for the DV47A (like ModWright)?

I ran into one cable manufacturer, who's name escapes me at the moment, that will allow you to purchase their cables and if you don't like them you can send them back within 60 days for a full refund! Maybe that's for me.

OK experts what do I do? Since I've been around here for awhile please feel free to go way outside my budget if you feel it's necessary (or under...yeah right
wink.gif
)

One more note......This site has some of the nicest, most helpful people I've ever run into on the internet, the moderators do a GREAT job here and I appreciate all the help I've gotten so far. It may be costing me a fortune...but I'm having a great time!

Aug 1, 2002 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 12
If you do want to buy high-end cables, do a search on Audiogon - you might be able to get them for cheap. If you want to go the new route, try the Cable Company (www.fatwyre.com) - they run a Cable Library so you can try a bunch of different brands. The catch is that they require a non-refundable deposit of $50 or 10% of the value of the cable, whichever is higher, and you have to pay shipping costs. However, that deposit goes towards any purchases you do make at the Cable Company (and this August, 10% of all purchases made go to charity).

Have fun!

Aug 2, 2002 at 3:02 AM Post #3 of 12
I have also had great luck with the Cable Company!

I, along with many others, am very pleased with Outlaw Interconnects. Check out this thread. I primarily use the Dimarzio M-Paths (main system) and the Neutral Refs are all they're chalked up to be, too!

I also picked up a couple of Virtual Dynamics Power Cords after reading the rantings of others in this thread.

Like yage said, Audiogon is a great site for all things audio.

tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Aug 2, 2002 at 5:03 AM Post #4 of 12
My vote goes to interconnects. Don't get en'masse. Just get one good one you should be able to return and try it out compared to your stock cables.

I don't know about different brands of cables. I heard Straightwire, liked them and that's what I have. So I know cables can sound different, but don't know the different sound of different brands.

As far as power cables go..........make that last on any list, when you have cash to burn. Power conditioning is more important.

Aug 2, 2002 at 10:07 AM Post #5 of 12
Thanks for the good advice!

Based on the input of you good people I have decided to either:

1. Find a used pair of reputable interconnects on Audiogon or eb**(caveat emptor) at a substantially reduced price to try them, if I don't like them I can always sell them.

2. Purchase interconnects new from either a place that will allow returns for full refund minus shipping or the cable library idea sounds like a great way to try many cables at a limited expense.

Thanks again for your help!
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2002 at 2:52 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
Another place to check out would be:

Used Cables.com

I haven't purchased from them....yet, but it is a place to take a look.

This is just the used section of www.fatwyre.com . It's been around a while. But may not be a bargainl, considering some places will let you try out new cables, and allow you to return within 30 days for full refund. Fatwyre is not a free service like this.

Aug 6, 2002 at 8:02 PM Post #8 of 12
I have decided to order 3 sets of Outlaw PCA interconnects and 1 PSC interconnect for digital. Compared to some of the other cables I've looked at these seem well regarded and ridiculously inexpensive by comparison. Now if I can just stay away from those expensive power cables!
wink.gif

Again, thanks for everyones input!
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2002 at 2:20 AM Post #9 of 12
88sound, you hve read the 'Tempting Virtual Dynamics power cord' thread, haven't you? Several users there say the power cord was their best tweak EVER, exceeding the impact of new interconnects....

Aug 7, 2002 at 2:30 AM Post #10 of 12
Yes, Calanctus I have read most of that thread. There is however something else that happened. I rolled Telefunken tubes into my EMP and the most glorious sound rolled out, even with my low end interconnects and stock cords. The truth is that the journey never ends and that is part of what makes this hobby fun. I will save the power cords for another day, looking purely at financial considerations I hope that day is not tomorrow!
tongue.gif

By the way when you look in the mirror do you see
evil_smiley.gif
or
very_evil_smiley.gif

Just checking, and kidding of course!

Aug 7, 2002 at 7:13 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

I will save the power cords for another day, looking purely at financial considerations I hope that day is not tomorrow!

Well, I've finally gone over the edge 1. I am quoting myself 2. I am so FOS! The good news, based on my original figure I am under budget by $50.

3 Outlaw PCA 1.2M Interconnects
1 Outlaw PSC .5M Digital Cable
3 Virtual Dynamics Power III AC Cords.

Thanks everyone, I think
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back