Intel Core 2 Duo
Jul 31, 2006 at 9:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

tjkurita

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 22, 2003
Posts
1,067
Likes
20
Anyone know when the new Intel chip will be available in Apple computers? I've decided to switch to Apple and I'd like to wait until this faster chip is available in them.

Unfortunately my current machine is about to give up the ghost. I'm not sure if I can wait too long.
 
Jul 31, 2006 at 10:28 AM Post #2 of 16

krmathis

Head-Fi's Most Prolific Poster
Joined
Jan 13, 2004
Posts
34,761
Likes
76
Apple Worldwide Developers Conference 2006 will be held in San Francisco August 7-11.

The rumors say that Apple will release the PowerMac G5 and Xserve successors. Cause they are the two remaining PowerPC Mac's, while the rest of the line have moved to Intel processor. There may be MacBook Pro updates as well. Who knows?
So at least hang on for 10 more days...
wink.gif
 
Jul 31, 2006 at 10:31 AM Post #3 of 16

tjkurita

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 22, 2003
Posts
1,067
Likes
20
Thanks.

I heard about the G5s going to Intel a while ago. The tech guy at the apple store told me to wait if I was looking at a G5 because the powerpc was being phased out.

I'm more concerned about the Core 2.

We'll see. I will certainly wait a couple of weeks and back up my files regularly...
 
Jul 31, 2006 at 11:37 AM Post #4 of 16

krmathis

Head-Fi's Most Prolific Poster
Joined
Jan 13, 2004
Posts
34,761
Likes
76
I don't know the difference between Core Duo and Core 2 Duo, but from the name it tells me that it is just a "minor" update from the Core Duo.
Since this is a 32-bit processor I am pretty sure we will not see it in any of the future Mac Pro machines. But it might make it to the iMac and MacBook (not Pro).

Apple degraded the iMac from 64-bit (G5) to 32-bit (Intel Core Duo), which made a lot of bashing at the discussion forums. Lets hope Apple don't repeat this for the PowerMac's.

Me myself am waiting for a 64-bit 15" MacBook Pro...
lambda.gif
 
Jul 31, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #6 of 16

lini

Thought the last line in Citizen Kane was nosebud.
Joined
Jun 22, 2001
Posts
6,119
Likes
29
Location
Munich, Bavaria
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis
I don't know the difference between Core Duo and Core 2 Duo, but from the name it tells me that it is just a "minor" update from the Core Duo.


You're mistaken there...

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis
Since this is a 32-bit processor (...)


Core 2 Duo comes with Intel's 64 bit extension EM64T...

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis
Apple degraded the iMac from 64-bit (G5) to 32-bit (Intel Core Duo), which made a lot of bashing at the discussion forums.


Who cares? In the end, it's performance that counts - how that performance is reached in detail should be rather secondary...

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis
Me myself am waiting for a 64-bit 15" MacBook Pro...
lambda.gif



The first notebooks with mobile version of Core 2 Duo (= Merom) are supposed to hit the market in September, iirc.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini
 
Jul 31, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #7 of 16

lan

Videographus Supremus:Makes audio cables using super-advanced materials, like "some clear tape" and "some not so clear tape."
Joined
Sep 4, 2002
Posts
8,604
Likes
13
I'm looking to get a mac notebook to replace my PC laptop and mac mini G4. I can't wait either for the new CPU to hit the notebooks. I can't do work without having both platforms and having them in 1 computer is awesome.
 
Jul 31, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #8 of 16

steel102

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 28, 2003
Posts
1,270
Likes
11
no one really knows when they will start appearing in the normal macbooks, but macbook pro's with merom may be coming out this fall. either way, unless you are in dire need of a notebook, i'd wait, since the conroe (merom is mobile version of conroe) is dominating all the benchmarks lately, it definitely seems worth it. plus it runs cooler and more battery-efficient.
 
Jul 31, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #9 of 16

chesebert

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 17, 2004
Posts
4,838
Likes
199
I thought this was PC related and was going to suggest you get the least expensive and overclock the hell out of it, like 3Ghz
evil_smiley.gif


ohwell..too bad you can't OC a mac
wink.gif
 
Jul 31, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #10 of 16

krmathis

Head-Fi's Most Prolific Poster
Joined
Jan 13, 2004
Posts
34,761
Likes
76
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
You're mistaken there...
Core 2 Duo comes with Intel's 64 bit extension EM64T...



I have been corrected. Thanks!
Quote:

Who cares? In the end, it's performance that counts - how that performance is reached in detail should be rather secondary...


I don't, but I am sure the real power users do.
Cause from what I know a 32-bit processor can only address 4GB of memory. While a 64-bit processor (like the G5) can address 16GB. That would be a major downgrade!

I guess a 64-bit processor have other benefits as well.
Quote:

The first notebooks with mobile version of Core 2 Duo (= Merom) are supposed to hit the market in September, iirc.


That is what I have heard as well. Can't wait!
tongue.gif
 
Jul 31, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #11 of 16

davidd

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 16, 2004
Posts
406
Likes
0
I'm sure the Macbook Pro will get a Core 2 Duo soon, or it should. I doubt the standard Macbook will get one anytime soon so that is why I just went and ordered one today.

and IIRC, the Core Solo/Core Duo are pretty much still Pentium-M's (which is one reason they are 32-bit) while the Core 2's are all new processors and the first to actually use intel's new "Core" architecture
 
Jul 31, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #13 of 16

Wodgy

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 24, 2002
Posts
4,657
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita
Actually, I was thinking of getting a mac mini. Hoping that the Core 2 makes its way into those machines soon. Not sure if I can wait until the fall...


You don't necessarily have to wait. The processor in the Mac Mini is socketed. When Merom / Core 2 is widely available, you can just drop it in as an upgrade. Some people have already done this, e.g.:
http://gomeler.com/2006/03/29/mmm-mac-mini-merom/
http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/...12011938.shtml

That said, Core 2 doesn't really offer any compelling advantages for desktop machines. It's pretty much a yawner. The real win will come with lower heat and power consumption for laptops.
 
Jul 31, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #14 of 16

tjkurita

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 22, 2003
Posts
1,067
Likes
20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
You don't necessarily have to wait. The processor in the Mac Mini is socketed. When Merom / Core 2 is widely available, you can just drop it in as an upgrade. Some people have already done this, e.g.:
http://gomeler.com/2006/03/29/mmm-mac-mini-merom/
http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/...12011938.shtml

That said, Core 2 doesn't really offer any compelling advantages for desktop machines. It's pretty much a yawner. The real win will come with lower heat and power consumption for laptops.



Wow! Great info, Wodgy. Thanks!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top