1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Integrated tube amps (Leben, Luxman) vs. stand-alone headphone amps

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by seacard, Sep 19, 2011.
  1. seacard
    It's been a long time since I've owned a tube amp (Singlepower soured me on the whole tube experience), so I haven't really kept up with many of the recent tube offerings.  But I'm getting the itch again, as my HD800 sounding a little harsher and brighter than I want it to sound.  (I know changing headphones is probably the best solution, but I really want to see if I can make them work).

In deciding on a tube amp, is there any disadvantage to going with an integrated amplifier?  For example, the Luxman SQ100 and the SQ38u, or the Leben CS300X look like great amps.  But am I giving something up if I choose one of those instead of, say, a Zana Deux, or WA22, or TTVJ Peak, or a Schiit Lyr?  For those that have heard the best tube amps in the $3K range with the HD800, which direction would you recommend going in?

(p.s. I will not be using the integrated with my speakers -- the Linkwitz Orions -- since I need very different amplification for those, so that eliminates one of the advantages of an integrated amp.)