Integra Type-R?
May 26, 2002 at 3:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
Now, I've always been under the impression that these are Europe/Japan only. Now, I know its the RSX now. . . but say, even 2 years ago, was there any way to walk into a Honda/Acura dealership and say, "I want a Type-R?"

Or would you have to special order it through some importer?

<w00t> 16 in 27 days!!! I get my permit! <sigh> I don't have enough money to buy a car yet. Gah, and then theres my friend, who's parents bought him a brand new altima.

May 26, 2002 at 9:00 AM Post #2 of 22
This review of the 2000 Integra Type-R says they've been available in the US since 97 in limited quantities.

By the way, when you do go looking for your first car check into the insurance before you buy. Something like this you might not even be able to insure without a few years of driving experience on your record. That's speaking from experience, I got a 79 RX-7 as a first car, the agent wrote up a policy but the company sent me a letter cancelling it not long afterwards. I got it reinstated eventually but it was a pain.

(HBZ)

May 26, 2002 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 22
lol, I wish I could get an rx-7. Heck, I wish I could get a newer model civic! Hmmm, thanks for clearing up the integra thing. So you can get one, its just very hard to get?

May 26, 2002 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 22
ITR aren't very hard to get. They are slightly rare. They were available in the US, but the japanese versions had a slightly higher tuned car for some of the years. The headlights were also different on some model years. The new RSX will not have a Type R edition in the US even though the japanese model has one I believe. If you have the money, a RSX type S is nice as is the new Civic SI. I like the new interior design of the Civic SI. it has the shifter below the radio on the dashboard
smily_headphones1.gif
neat design. Before looking into the ITR be aware what makes them type R's. They have a higher tuned engine for output, but also have weight reduction elements like reduced insulation, no moonroof, no rear windshield wiper, stripped interior, no AC... etc.....

May 26, 2002 at 7:13 PM Post #5 of 22
your almost 16...yet you can afford senn 580's, all those cd and md players, and your thinking of buying a car???

you have a full time job or something??
biggrin.gif

im 17 in a month and on minimum wage...

May 26, 2002 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 22
The secret to getting my stuff? Working at my high school. I'm not joking. Our high school is brand new. Our theater is state of the art. From what I'm told, its the 3rd best in the city. That's behind the 2 professional ones.
smily_headphones1.gif

We have all sorts of groups coming in that use it. These are usually dance studios, orchestras, bands, theater groups, etc. These people pay us(the stage crew) minimum wage to do stuff. I'm the sound guy.
wink.gif

I make a bit of money doing this stuff. No, my parents don't help me out. Their rule is that they supply the basics. I buy my own computer, entertainment, etc. That's the way it is at my house. Hopefully, I may be a better person because of it. That's what they tell me.
smily_headphones1.gif

The hd580s I got in germany for cheap last summer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, are we talking about the same car? This is the Type-R, right? Not the GS-R? Oh, and from what I've heard, the RSX Type-R is coming here for 2003.
smily_headphones1.gif

No, I'm NOT getting one. I just love them.

May 26, 2002 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 22
In Dallas, the Type R was on showroom floors but the demand was high enough that they saw it fit to charge $5k above retail. This prompted me to, in 1998, settle for a white Integra GSR with custom leather seats (white did not come with leather).

I lamented my decision deeply. Months passed and I returned to the Acura dealer for a minor repair and oil change. I sighed to the customer service rep as I stared into the Type R posted on the wall. When he asked what was wrong I replied, "Oh, I just sometimes really wish I'd gotten the Type R." He replied, "You know we have one on the used lot."

My facial expressions must have been uncontrolled at that point. I soon found myself test driving their used 1997 Type R. It was NOT the same car as the GSR despite their similar beginnings. The Type R was far and away the best handling front wheel drive ever made and the throttle flew at the slightest touch. The clutch and brakes too had a different feel and suddenly I felt as if I were driving a race car.

The next three hours were spent in light negotiation as I traded in my bought new 1998 GSR with custom leather seats for the used Type R. And THAT my friend, is what happens when you settle.

The Type R was stolen and totalled into a ditch during the worst part of my life. I miss it substantially more than my ex.

May 26, 2002 at 11:17 PM Post #8 of 22
<moment of silence for kelly's Type-R>

<sniff>

Didn't get a new one? I mean, insurance and everything?
frown.gif

I've learned something new. Type-Rs are available here.

I've read that the RSX is coming Type-R here in the US for 2003. Anyone know anything new?

May 27, 2002 at 1:20 AM Post #10 of 22
Sport compact car said it might reach this side of the ocean. We'll see. Here's hoping! Not like I'll be getting one, but the way I see it, say, 10 or 15 years from now, we might be getting them. Maybe I could get a used one then. . .

oh yeah, and what does ITR stand for?

International Type R?

May 27, 2002 at 3:42 AM Post #11 of 22
My suggestion is to find an rsx forum like Headfi
wink.gif
and research the crap out of them. They usually have the best info. A Subaru Impreza-RS forum was tipped off on the US spec WRX nearly 6 months before it was officially announced because of the members there. I used to frequent the site as I have an older gen Impreza but fell out of touch after seeing the new generations nasty looks
frown.gif

May 27, 2002 at 4:13 AM Post #12 of 22
any linkage to the RS forum? Its one of the possibel cars that we'll be getting to replace our 92 mazda protege. I just flushed the transmission fluid with my dad today.
eek.gif

Lets say it wasn't working too well. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back