Instrumental Hip Hop
May 2, 2006 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Jdj

New Head-Fier
I've recently been really into albums such as Endtroducing from DJ Shadow and Dead Ringer of RJD2 but I can't seem to find any more good artist such as these

Anyone into instrumental hip hop?

Basically hip hop but without the rapper...

I also enjoy rap but I do find a lot of options in that area.

May 2, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdj
I've recently been really into albums such as Endtroducing from DJ Shadow and Dead Ringer of RJD2 but I can't seem to find any more good artist such as these

Anyone into instrumental hip hop?

Basically hip hop but without the rapper...

I also enjoy rap but I do find a lot of options in that area.

Welcome to my world...
Good instrumental hip-hop is very hard to come by but I have found some killer albums:

1)Omid-"Monolith"
2)anything by Prefuse 73
3)"Special Herbs" by MF Doom
4)El-P
5)Diplo
6)Pete Rock-The Surviving Elements

May 2, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #3 of 29
DJ Krush - Self titled

also check out Cut Chemist and DJ Shadow collaborations:
"Product Placement" and "Brainfreeze"
I love those albums. Really shows what Blending records is about old school style...

May 2, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #4 of 29
By Prefuse 73 I own One Word Extinguisher which I loved... MF Doom, I heard Is Viktor Vaughn which I enjoyed but that's it. On that MF Doom's album there is a lot of rapping, which isn't what I would ultimately prefer probably becasue I'm not a native english speaker, so I try to focus on spanish when it comes to lyrics. This doesn't mean I just can't enjoy good rap or fine poetry but its just not my preference.

I'll check out those albums... thanks

May 2, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #5 of 29
I just thought of a few more:

Greyboy - 'Soul Mosaic' (its a little more vocal but definately one of my favorites in the instrumental hip hop genre)

"Return of the DJ.." Volumes are a classic addition to anyones library.

The Opus - "First Contact 001" (there are some very dj cuts on here mixed in with some good hip hop)

as far as EL-P goes (Kwitel's Rec)..."Little Johnny from the Hospitol" by Company Flow (which was EL-P's first group) is awesome, its an instrumental breaks and beats album.

May 2, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #6 of 29
This is an AWESOME thread. I HATE lyricised hip hop, but I really like instrumental hip hop. I've been a diehard DJ Shadow fan from his beginnings, but have had a hard time getting anything close to his work from others. Thanks for the tips!

May 2, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #7 of 29
Yeah, thanks for the suggestions, will look those up. Endtroducing is one of my all-time favs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by megawzrd
DJ Krush - Self titled

also check out Cut Chemist and DJ Shadow collaborations:
"Product Placement" and "Brainfreeze"
I love those albums. Really shows what Blending records is about old school style...

Don't forget DJ Shadow 'Private Press' (although the first time I heard it I thought my CD player was skipping
rolleyes.gif
)

May 2, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarsVolta
Yeah, thanks for the suggestions, will look those up. Endtroducing is one of my all-time favs.

Don't forget DJ Shadow 'Private Press' (although the first time I heard it I thought my CD player was skipping
rolleyes.gif
)

I loved Private Press, it was the first time I heard Shadow... My english teacher played Blood on the Motorway while we were working one day...awesome.

May 2, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #10 of 29
Zanth, I felt the same way a while ago... After hearing Shadow I was dissapointed with everything else, until some weeks ago where I started listening to Prefuse and RJD2... Chicken Bone Circuit from the album Dead Ringer I thought was simply amazing.

May 2, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
RJD2 did some good work with Acaleyone (SP?), but, of course, that is not purely instrumental.

Yeah I saw that album last time I was in the record store and thought it would be interesting since RJD2 produced it. When I read the reviews on Amazon though, I was turned off.

How does it compare to Aceyalone's "A Book of Human Language" for you?

May 2, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by megawzrd
Yeah I saw that album last time I was in the record store and thought it would be interesting since RJD2 produced it. When I read the reviews on Amazon though, I was turned off.

How does it compare to Aceyalone's "A Book of Human Language" for you?

nothing like it Def. a classic(in Regards To Human Language)... but nonetheless magnificent City is dope... i think i have A book of Human language in vinyl and cd... somewhere...

May 2, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #15 of 29
okay got my brain flowing again

Madlib - Shades Of Blue

pretty much anything by him

J Dilla - Donuts,Welcome To Detroit

DJ Cam - Liquid Hip-HOp, Mad Blunted Jazz

Pete Rock - Petestrumentals

in Regards To The Blockhead - Music By Cavelight, and Downtown Science

pretty much all of Fat Jons Earlier Work

those are some ill post some more once i give my collection another look and my mind another search.

oh ya someone posted MF DOOM, Get His Herbs but get the box set that has series 1-10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back