Installing Sony MDR-CD3000 drivers to a different pair of headphone enclosure
Aug 12, 2011 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gzone3lement

third_eye! You are a stud!
I will be getting a pair of Sony MDR-CD3000 headphones soon. I might plan on removing the 50 mm drivers and install it in a different headphone enclosure. I saw the MDR-SA5000 as the potential pair, but it is complicated because of glued mounting instead of bolt-and-nut mounting. Does anyone have other alternatives? I would like it to be in a hipster-like (better than beats) headphone enclosure. If the design is similar to the Qualia 010, that would be a huge plus. Once done, I intend to bring it outside for regular use.

Aug 13, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #3 of 6
Also putting a driver originally designed for a closed housing into an open headphone might not be such a good idea unless you look for a vastly different sound. Maybe home-made headphile wooden cups are more interesting.
However, there was one mad hybrid Sony headphone like this on sale here many years ago, don't know if it is still going...

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 6
I am not sure if I had regretted ordering the CD3000 headphones. Even though I've met several people owning multiple headphones, I personally find it weird to own more than one headphones in the same house for one person. If I give myself an excuse like for outdoors use, then I would feel better in not interchanging headphones. I probably have the guts to just bring the CD3000 outside, but like you said, it's not really "outside headphones."

I chose not to get headphile wooden cups since I already have a pair of headphones with wood cups. Now that I think about it, it would be cool to have a pair of cups in shiny material like the MDR-V900, but I do not know what it is specifically made of and how to make it.

Mad hybrid Sony headphone? What is that? First thing I saw from google was Zumreed X2 hybrid headphone.
http://www.zumreed.net/products/headphones/zhp015.html

Aug 15, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #6 of 6
I have realized that the headphones will not be shipped to me after all; I was outbid in an auction at the last minute. I will consider buying a pair of portable headphones or IEM's without any DIY.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back