Installing IEC Socket
Oct 13, 2009 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11
Hi, i'm planning on getting an upgraded iec socket for my keces 151 mk2. I was wondering if it is plug and play or is there a step by step process i should go about do so?

Oct 13, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 11
Maybe he means an IEC socket with an integral P-I filter?

In which case, uh, hook up hot to hot, neutral to neutral, and earth to earth - unless there is no earth.

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 11
Unplug the device before you do this.
wink.gif

Oct 14, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #5 of 11
Looking at photos of the internals of the keces 151 mk2 it does not appear to have a simple IEC. The transformer connects to a PCB that has a fuse and probably a switch for allowing the IEC to work on 115 or 240 VAC. So you will need to know the windings for the transformer so that you either wire them in series or parallel depending on your voltage requirement.

Also make sure your new IEC is fused since you most likely will not be able to reuse that board.

Why are you changing the IEC, is the current one broken?

Oct 15, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #6 of 11
Make sure that you upgrade to an iec socket with silver contacts instead of 24k gold. I tried gold contacts on my iec socket but I found that it rolled off the highs when compared with the silver. It did give my ck2III a slightly warmer, more tubey overall sound, but the difference was not night and day.

Oct 15, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Make sure that you upgrade to an iec socket with silver contacts instead of 24k gold. I tried gold contacts on my iec socket but I found that it rolled off the highs when compared with the silver. It did give my ck2III a slightly warmer, more tubey overall sound, but the difference was not night and day.

this is a joke right??

Oct 15, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #8 of 11
Unless the IEC module you're planning to swap in has the same dimensions as the one it's replacing, getting a good fit is going to be difficult. You can always use a subplate, however.

I'm with fallenangel on this one - I don't think this is a worthwhile upgrade, especially considering the effort involved and potential to mess your unit up.

Oct 15, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #10 of 11
I thought green was the best for soundstage? What happens if you mix up the colors on the male and female ends?

Oct 15, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is a joke right??

yes. Its hard to tell sometimes considering the tweaks people install on their gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back