Installing EMU
May 11, 2004 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

cadobhuk

500+ Head-Fier
I installed my EMU today.Hooked it up to my Perreaux and cd3ks.The volume is very low,turning the knob on the amp to max,and turning volume slider in card's control panel to the top I hear very quite sound,lower than my normal listening volume.Bass is abcent.Some distortion is also present.The sound is shifted to the left,though its not mono,the sound is much quieter in the right ear.When I go to Sound and Audio Devices Properties -> Speaker Volume... I see only one slider called "Left".Instead of "Left" and "Right" as usual.Anyone expirienced something similar or has any thoughts about what's the problem?

May 11, 2004 at 5:44 AM Post #2 of 49
In the EMU software, go to load a new session, select the frequency you ant to use (44/48, 96, or 192) and the select the "minimum +4" session. Insert a "Send" on the ASIO channel to the hardware I/O card. Make sure you use the ASIO output plugin for your player, and you should be set up to kick some booty. If that is not working you might be having cable issuses?

May 11, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #3 of 49
Nope,not working
frown.gif

As for cabling I'm using these:
http://mivasecure.abac.com/fsaudiowe...D-CA-Microtwin
with these adapters:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...base_id/60060/
I also have Audigy2 installed,may be that causes problems

May 11, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 49
In the paper it says "It is CRITICAL that you CANSEL the operation when one of the following dialogs appear:
  1. For Windows XP - A Found New Hardware Wizard dialog will appear.
  2. For Windows 2000 - A Microsoft Digital Signature warning dialog will appear.
"
But I didn't get a chance to cansel the found new hardware (with my win xp),there was no dialog until digital signature warning dialog appeared.I pressed "Stop installation",and then installed EMU drivers from the CD.Oh well,I'm gonna try removing Au2 completely and installing EMU all over.

May 11, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #6 of 49
I am also having some problems with my new Emu. (I had no problems with RME)
I seem to be having distortion of some kind.
Sounds mostly like pops and clicks.
I didn't realize the Emu was made by Creative. I had these same problems back long ago when I owned a SB Live. (Why is it so hard for Creative to make decent drivers?)
I reformatted last night thinkning that would fix my problems. And it seemed too. For a while. But now they are back.
I have tried all I can think of and am quickly becoming frustrated to no end with this card.
I have tried all the different outputs of foobar and etc.

frown.gif

May 11, 2004 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 49
Now,I uninstalled Audigy drivers and removed Audigy card from computer.Uninstalled and installed all over again the 1212m.It helped alot - now I just don't hear any sound at all,absolute silence.I tryed unistalling and installing drivers again and again and there's no effect,and no sound.

May 11, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #8 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by cadobhuk
Now,I uninstalled Audigy drivers and removed Audigy card from computer.Uninstalled and installed all over again the 1212m.It helped alot - now I just don't hear any sound at all,absolute silence.I tryed unistalling and installing drivers again and again and there's no effect,and no sound.

Well you should hear absolute silence, you're sure the lack out output is not due to having something in the software not set up properly? Maybe you put the cables into the input jacks by mistake (I've done this on other cards before)?

May 11, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #9 of 49
Make sure to completely reinstall the Audigy drivers. Apparently it doesn't play nice with E-MU's regardless of the fact that they come from the same company.

*Edit, oh you already did that.....

Can the Audigy and E-MU exist in the same computer?

-Ed

May 12, 2004 at 12:19 AM Post #11 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Well you should hear absolute silence, you're sure the lack out output is not due to having something in the software not set up properly? Maybe you put the cables into the input jacks by mistake (I've done this on other cards before)?

No,the cables are plugged into outputs.I didn't hear anything at all though the color bars in the PatchMix DSP were jumping.I took the card out of its PCI slot,plugged it into another one and no effect.

May 12, 2004 at 2:02 AM Post #13 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
That is what the EMU's documentation says, however I have yet to hear anyone who has gotten it to work in real life.

I have an Audigy2ZS and EMU 1212m in the same computer.

They get along great.
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2004 at 3:29 AM Post #14 of 49
I got the cables from one of the guys here on head-fi,cant test them on anything else apart from EMU.So they might be defective,if cables can ever be.Those stereo 1/4-RCA adapters are the right thing,right?May be its a drivers issue,may be the card is phisically screwd up.What happened with your EMU,Iron_Dreamer?

May 12, 2004 at 3:33 AM Post #15 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by cadobhuk
I got the cables from one of the guys here on head-fi,cant test them on anything else apart from EMU.So they might be defective,if cables can ever be.Those stereo 1/4-RCA adapters are the right thing,right?May be its a drivers issue,may be the card is phisically screwd up.What happened with your EMU,Iron_Dreamer?

Mine was working fine for a few days, then it suddenly stopped producing analog output. I tried all the driver and software tweaks I could think of before finally concluding that the DAC chip was dead, and getting a replacement issued.

The adapter you got is technically not right, as what you really want is a mono 1/4" to RCA, but I would think the one you have should work, since it would just take the positive signal and ground to the RCA, leaving behind the inverting signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back