**Install your amp/dac in your PC**
Jun 6, 2012 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MattTCG

Headphoneus Supremus
Of course this is a stupid idea, I tend to have a lot of them, but wouldn't it be great if someone would take a smallish amp/dac...say about the size of a 5.25 computer drive bay like the o2 and design it where it could be installed in said bay? 

Creative has had breakout boxes for years and years that install in pc bays for their soundblaster cards. But if you could power it off of the pc's psu and connect it to an internal usb port...now that would be sweet!! It would make a very clean setup without any equipment on your desk. For me it would also keep the headphone cord out of the way and it a better spot. 

Now why wouldn't it work?

Jun 7, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #2 of 6
No reason it couldn't work - you'll probably get some complaints about noise and other fantasies, but it's not like shielding is a completely foreign and unknown concept.

There's plenty of soundcards that have built-in headphone amps too. They're fairly popular.

You could easily build such a device yourself - take whatever amp you want (the O2 is available in kit form, isn't it?) and throw it in a drive bay device. Like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817998032 (or whatever else you want, they get as big as 3x5.25 like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999164).

Just drill and cut wherever you need to, to accomplish what you need. Tap the power to a normal molex 4 pin (and put in whatever sort of DC-DC you might need, or find an amplifier that will run on 5V or 12V). USB straight to the headers if that's what you need, or whatever else you're connecting to.

If you want to get really fancy/are paranoid, grab a Hammond shielded box for test equipment, they should have one that's around 5", and just tap out the holes for the bay and build spacers if you need them (use a CD drive as a template).

Jun 7, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 6
Now that's an interesting experiment. Build in o2 into a 5.25 drive bay!! I must have it. 

But I'll have to wait till the unit with the dac is released....

Sep 20, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #5 of 6
Of course this is a stupid idea, I tend to have a lot of them, but wouldn't it be great if someone would take a smallish amp/dac...say about the size of a 5.25 computer drive bay like the o2 and design it where it could be installed in said bay?

Creative has had breakout boxes for years and years that install in pc bays for their soundblaster cards. But if you could power it off of the pc's psu and connect it to an internal usb port...now that would be sweet!! It would make a very clean setup without any equipment on your desk. For me it would also keep the headphone cord out of the way and it a better spot.

Now why wouldn't it work?
Yup, that's called a sound card.

Sep 22, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #6 of 6
Yup, that's called a sound card.

Technically speaking, since a computer has a screen and is not a device limited to stereo, a soundcard is more usually a surround-capable device, plus has a DSP chip.

Besides, Burson Audio already made the Fun, which is in a chassis that can mount into a 5.25in drive bay.
https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/fun/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back