1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Inspire IHA-1 tube headphone amp

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by burn1, Oct 18, 2014.
First

Back
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Next

Last
  1. atubbs

Just bad phone pics, but here you go:

IMG_3741.jpg

IMG_3742.jpg

IMG_3743.jpg

IMG_3745.jpg

2. adamaley
    That's hot!
    Thanks!

3. adamaley
    Looks like you have some lovely equipment in the background. I spy a Kef LS50. What are you driving those with?

4. atubbs

Those are currently wired to a Bryston 4BSST2. Upstream is a HeadAmp GS-X as pre and basically the equipment mentioned in my IHA-1 review, only in balanced mode (the unbalanced chain feeds into the IHA-1).

5. adamaley
    Nice system composition. How does the GS-X fare as a pre?

6. atubbs

I've been pretty happy with it, though admittedly have not done any real A/B comparisons with the LS50 or the Bryston to this point. In general I prefer simple and there's enough line voltage, short enough runs, and enough gain on the amp that I would probably just run a passive attenuator if I didn't also want a headamp in the chain (really like Goldpoint's stepped balanced attenuators/switches). But, since the loudspeaker system is second priority to the cans, it's certainly met my needs.

7. BlakeT
    So, I swapped in my NOS brown base Brimar U52 rectifier tube (also sometimes labeled as GEC, Osram, Marconi, etc.) in place of the stock rectifier that comes with the Dragon IHA-1.  

In combination with the NOS Sylvania 6BX7's I am getting absolutely magical sound.   Never say never, but I don't see myself doing any further tube rolling with this amp.

Now I am free to focus solely on musical enjoyment.

Brimar2.jpg

8. BlakeT

Man, that Sophia sure is a beauty..

9. atubbs

That's the emission labs tube :p Sophia in my review pics.

10. BlakeT
    RanchoCucamongaHomeMortgageFirstTimeHomeBuyersRandyCharltonKellerWilliamsRealtyHomerSimpsonDoh.png

11. Bellasperson
    I have an extra Sophia if anyone with a U52 would like to trade.

12. Bellasperson
    Noticed that most of you are using the Sylvania 6SX7.  I switched to the Tung Sol and found them an interesting change of pace.  They have a slightly different physical structure. Plate hole pattern and rod clips. I like their vocal presentation.  Their sound reminds me of the Tung Sol 6SN7.  Has anyone seen a Ken Rad 6BX7?

13. adamaley
    Very interested in reading reviews from the other guys. BlakeT, especially.

14. BlakeT

I will definitely be posting a review in the future.  My first task before doing the review was to finalize my tube selection.  Mission accomplished on that front.

The only remaining item is I am debating whether to hold off on my review until I receive my Geek Pulse Xfi (I already received the Geek LPS, and the Pulse should arrive in December-fingers crossed, I should be among the first of the units shipped).  That way, I can compare the IHA-1 against the Pulse and against my Crack+Speedball (even though all 3 are divergent technologies).  

15. pedalhead Contributor

Hi Blake...we meet again :).  I'd be very interested in your views on the Crack (+Speedball) and how it compares to the IHA-1.  As you already know, I'm interested in the latter, but actually also keen to have a go at DIY and the Crack is top of my list at the moment.  Cheers!

First

Back
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Next

Last