Insomnia anyone?
Jan 20, 2010 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Pepsi

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone here night owls?
What do you do/use to help to you go to sleep?
Some may enjoy the night time, i for once would like to be awake during the daytime.

Jan 20, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #2 of 46
Sleep? I thought only dead people slept? Sleep's for suckers!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #3 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone here night owls?
What do you do/use to help to you go to sleep?
Some may enjoy the night time, i for once would like to be awake during the daytime.

To name a few things that worked for me:

- Don't drink sugary stuff or eat after 8pm (coffee doesn't matter for me)
- Turn down the brightness of your computer screen and tv
- Drink some red wine (not too much, it's quite expensive
wink.gif
)
- Go out for a walk as often as you can
- Don't take pills

I have this annoying thing where I don't produce sleep hormones (melatonin) until the sun comes up again
frown.gif
They can test if you have the same thing in some clinics and hospitals. It's very rare, but quite common in milder forms especially with teenagers. The absolute best advice I ever had was from a jet-lagged flight attendant: Don't worry about it! If you're tired, sleep and else don't. Whatever. Don't force yourself into a lifestyle that makes you unhappy. There's plenty of pro's to being active at night
evil_smiley.gif
I know it sucks with jobs and school and everything, but when it becomes an obsession (as it did for me) it just gets worse and worse.

Jan 20, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 46
Luckily not!
Night own once in a while, but then I sleep through the morning instead.

Jan 20, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #5 of 46
I usually don't get sleepy until 1~2am, and if I can I sleep through the morning.
However, during the last weeks my bed time has been 3~4am and I wake up at 7~7:30am next morning to go to the university.

This is killing me, I don't get sleepy until late, I have to wake up early next morning, I come home at ~6pm sleepy so I take a quick nap, at night I'm even less sleepy than usual and go to bed really late, wake early next morning, etc, etc
It's a vicious circle.

I can usually keep it up until the weekend where I just sleep at will, or in some weeks just take a day off and sleep through.

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 46
I enjoy the night, and I think music always sounds better at night, but of course I get more work done each day if I wake up early...

So, if you have trouble sleeping I'd suggest looking into things like Yoga Nidra. It is supposed to be a sort of meditation, but not actual sleep. Yet I've found that when you are not interested in meditation it works quite well to use just to fall asleep. You can pick up some audio cd's of yoga nidra and just play those through your nice headphones as you fall asleep :)

I also find that if I exercise a lot then I fall asleep better, not that I have the time for that every day.

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #7 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by wap32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I usually don't get sleepy until 1~2am, and if I can I sleep through the morning.
However, during the last weeks my bed time has been 3~4am and I wake up at 7~7:30am next morning to go to the university.

This is killing me, I don't get sleepy until late, I have to wake up early next morning, I come home at ~6pm sleepy so I take a quick nap, at night I'm even less sleepy than usual and go to bed really late, wake early next morning, etc, etc
It's a vicious circle.

I can usually keep it up until the weekend where I just sleep at will, or in some weeks just take a day off and sleep through.

I feel your pain, most nights I can't sleep till at least 1 am, and I have to be up for work @ 5.30 am. I just cannot sleep well.. even with artificial aids (ambien, lunesta etc) i rarely get more then 5 hours sleep. Recently its been closer to 3 - 3 1/2 hours a night. I have an appointment at a sleep disorders clinic in March.

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #8 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackkeys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I enjoy the night, and I think music always sounds better at night, but of course I get more work done each day if I wake up early...
[...]

I actually enjoy staying up late, it's the getting up part I don't like.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel your pain, most nights I can't sleep till at least 1 am, and I have to be up for work @ 5.30 am. I just cannot sleep well.. even with artificial aids (ambien, lunesta etc) i rarely get more then 5 hours sleep. Recently its been closer to 3 - 3 1/2 hours a night. I have an appointment at a sleep disorders clinic in March.

It seems like you're worse off than me
frown.gif

The thing is, I wouldn't say I have trouble sleeping. If I am sleepy, I'll sleep anytime, anywhere, no problems. It's just that I don't get sleepy until late.

My problem is during the days, once I manage to get up I'll do fine during the morning, but usually at about 4~6pm I just get unbelievably sleepy, I'm at the computer and I can't keep my eyes open at all.

Jan 20, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #10 of 46
Isn't insomnia a serious medical condition? What most people are describing here is the "not wanting to go to sleep until after midnight" factor - which I do have. I'd hardly call it a condition though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've averaged less than two hours sleel a day for the past 25+ years.

Is that you, Coltrane?

Jan 20, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #11 of 46
I have trouble falling asleep. Just the other night, I was in bed at midnight trying to fall asleep but couldn't. I was in bed eyes closed for about 7 hrs still fully conscious. I finally fell asleep and woke up an hour and a half later to get ready for class. That whole day I was out of it, grumpy, tired, lazy, and unresponsive. This has happened a few time before.

Jan 20, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #12 of 46
I used to have poor sleep patterns, but it's gotten a lot better over the past few years.

I now get up at the same time every day, even on weekends. Tha took some getting used to, but it seems to work. I've also kicked the caffeine habit. I thought that would make sleep worse and that I'd be tired all the time, but the opposite happened. Same with getting rid of sugar.

Also, I dropped a considerable amount of weight. That put an end to snoring and (I think, I wasn't diagnosed) sleep apnea.

YMMV, but these things made a significant difference for me. I can get by on 5-6 hours of sleep now and feel better than I did when I was getting 7-8.

Jan 20, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #14 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't insomnia a serious medical condition? What most people are describing here is the "not wanting to go to sleep until after midnight" factor - which I do have. I'd hardly call it a condition though.

Is that you, Coltrane?

I've had chronic onset insomnia for over 25 years. Yes it's a serious condition. One that gets more difficult to deal with, with each passing year. I assure you, I've tried all the home-brewed remedies to no avail.

Jan 20, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #15 of 46
You haven't tried going to a sleep disorder clinic? or are you against medication?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back