Inquiry bout Headphones and Amps
Sep 1, 2013 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

summertime92

New Head-Fier
I'm interested in buying headphones and currently looking at Sennheiser HD600, AKG Q701 and AKG K550.

but I'm not quite clear with the differences of sound produced by headphones with or w/o amp.

Which of the headphones would require an amp?
Would there be a huge significance produced by amp?
Which amp would you recommend?
I have around $200 budget for amp.

I would use the headphone plugged into my desktop directly.
Perhaps sometimes use it with my phone.
Will it plugging the headphone directly to my desktop affect the sound quality too much?

There aren't any specific type of music that i listen to, but mostly are jazz, soul soft rock and rock.
Eva Cassidy, U2, Eric Clapton, Bee Gees

Sep 1, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
I'm interested in buying headphones and currently looking at Sennheiser HD600, AKG Q701 and AKG K550.

but I'm not quite clear with the differences of sound produced by headphones with or w/o amp.

Will it plugging the headphone directly to my desktop affect the sound quality too much?

There aren't any specific type of music that i listen to, but mostly are jazz, soul soft rock and rock.

Alright. HD600 and Q701 would both require an amp to be used at an normal volume level. I was surprised that they are not usable with regular DAPs.
Yes. With most DAPs like iPod, you won't get enough volume.
For something cheap, Schiit Magni(pairs well with HD600), or E09k.

Depending on what you get, you won't get enough headroom with out an amp. So I recommend getting an amp.

Sep 1, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

The Hd 600 need an amp

The Q701 are open are they not? So they  will no isolate, in addition amps do make a nice differeance! In fact I'm selling a K550 and a Jds Labs C5 for $310 atm, and I enjoyed my K550 with my C5, un amped the K550 is still a great can, but the amp added a nice color to a very clean and transparent headphone. So I recommend having an amp as it will really improve your sound overall, in addition if your getting an amp, you can go for something like the E17 [Dac and Amp] other wise for $200 there is the Schiit Stack. Trust me a good Dac and Amp will make a world of differeance to sound quality 

Sep 1, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
The Q701 are open are they not? So they  will no isolate, in addition amps do make a nice differeance! In fact I'm selling a K550 and a Jds Labs C5 for $310 atm, and I enjoyed my K550 with my C5, un amped the K550 is still a great can, but the amp added a nice color to a very clean and transparent headphone. So I recommend having an amp as it will really improve your sound overall, in addition if your getting an amp, you can go for something like the E17 [Dac and Amp] other wise for $200 there is the Schiit Stack. Trust me a good Dac and Amp will make a world of differeance to sound quality 

Q701 are supposedly "semi-open" but it's more like a full open. How easy to drive are the K550 btw?

Sep 1, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Q701 are supposedly "semi-open" but it's more like a full open. How easy to drive are the K550 btw?

Very easy, the K550 are 32 ohm.

In addition the Dt 880 are also semi open, 

Sep 1, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
I see. 

What's a technical definition of a semi open? Some semi-open doesn't leak as much while some semi-open(like Q701 and DT880) leak like crazy.

honeslty, my Dt 990 leak more than my Dt 880 so I have no idea...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back