initial impression: Etymotic ER-4S vs. Shure E500 PTH vs. speakers
Feb 16, 2007 at 6:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ast

1000+ Head-Fier
got my E500 two days ago and ER-4S today. Only have spent about two hours audtion them, so my impression could be premature.

Equipment used:

Receiver: Yamaha AV-Z9
Speakers: Dynaudio Contour Special 25's

CDs used:

"Tiny Colour Movies" by John Foxx -- Electronic
"Breathe" by Blue Stone -- Electronic + femal vocal
"Beautiful" by Ryan Farish -- General Instrumental
"Joshua Judges Ruth" by Lyle Lovett -- Male Vocal
"Greatest Hits of Teresa Teng" -- Female Vocal
"The Four Seasons" by Vivaldi, performed by Boston Symphony Orchestra.

================================================== =====

The Sound:

Dynaudio is literally perfect. The lows are tight, extended, and have the incredible texture, not just some low-frequency sound. The mid is smooth, lush, and clean. The high is simply beautiful and involving. The separation of instruments is superb. Imaging is wonderful. Since the Special 25s are stand-mount ( or bookself but bigger ) speakers, the low extension is not as full as the floor standers.

Shure E500's sound VERY much like speakers. The bass is very impressive indeed for earphones. They sound very full bodied, tight, and controled with good instrument separation. The mid is buttery and lush. The high is clear. The bad: even though the bass is good, but for something literally in my ears, it can be overwhelming -- think putting my Dyn's in my ear! The treble roll off is obvious and indeed sounds a little "dull" as mentioned by many here on head-fi.

Etymotic ER-4S. Super clean, clear, and cool. the instrument separation is like a surgical knife. The treble is better than E500. The do have the involving personality. The bad: no bass therefore sounds very lean.

Neither E500 or ER-4S is perfect and it also depends on personal tastes as well. I would say overall E500 is a little better. But ER-4S is definitely better when playing "The Four Seasons" by a quite larger margin. For electronics, E500 is much better instead.

Comfortness:

E500 is WAY more comfortable than ER-4S!!! I don't think I can wear ER-4S for more than one hour.

just my 2 cents.....

later.

Feb 16, 2007 at 6:47 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
got my E500 two days ago and ER-4S today. Only have spent about two hours audtion them, so my impression could be premature.

Equipment used:

Receiver: Yamaha AV-Z9
Speakers: Dynaudio Contour Special 25's

CDs used:

"Tiny Colour Movies" by John Foxx -- Electronic
"Breathe" by Blue Stone -- Electronic + femal vocal
"Beautiful" by Ryan Farish -- General Instrumental
"Joshua Judges Ruth" by Lyle Lovett -- Male Vocal
"Greatest Hits of Teresa Teng" -- Female Vocal
"The Four Seasons" by Vivaldi, performed by Boston Symphony Orchestra.

================================================== =====

The Sound:

Dynaudio is literally perfect. The lows are tight, extended, and have the incredible texture, not just some low-frequency sound. The mid is smooth, lush, and clean. The high is simply beautiful and involving. The separation of instruments is superb. Imaging is wonderful. Since the Special 25s are stand-mount ( or bookself but bigger ) speakers, the low extension is not as full as the floor standers.

Shure E500's sound VERY much like speakers. The bass is very impressive indeed for earphones. They sound very full bodied, tight, and controled with good instrument separation. The mid is buttery and lush. The high is clear. The bad: even though the bass is good, but for something literally in my ears, it can be overwhelming -- think putting my Dyn's in my ear! The treble roll off is obvious and indeed sounds a little "dull" as mentioned by many here on head-fi.

Etymotic ER-4S. Super clean, clear, and cool. the instrument separation is like a surgical knife. The treble is better than E500. The do have the involving personality. The bad: no bass therefore sounds very lean.

Neither E500 or ER-4S is perfect and it also depends on personal tastes as well. I would say overall E500 is a little better. But ER-4S is definitely better when playing "The Four Seasons" by a quite larger margin. For electronics, E500 is much better instead.

Comfortness:

E500 is WAY more comfortable than ER-4S!!! I don't think I can wear ER-4S for more than one hour.

just my 2 cents.....

later.

Nice mini review. I'd like to hear more about this comparison as you get a little more time with the 3.

Feb 16, 2007 at 7:17 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by ldj325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice mini review. I'd like to hear more about this comparison as you get a little more time with the 3.

Gracias! Will have more impressions coming in ...

Painfully waiting for my other gears to arrive: AKG K701, Audio Technica AD2000, Headroom Desktop (MAX) amp's. A nice birthday gift to myself
wink.gif
-- tomorrow is my b'day!

Feb 16, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's about how I've always found the ER4's, painful and no bass
evil_smiley.gif

I will give ER-4S another try when I get my Headroom amps. They are considerably more power-hungery than E500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back