Initial impresion on Sony CD3000 and V6
Mar 10, 2004 at 6:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Abula

100+ Head-Fier
First I want to thank all the Headfi memebers that guided me to this two headphones, this are trully two damn good heaphones. I really apreciate all the time and patience you gave to my threads and PMs.

I just got today my CD3000 and V6s, I havent burn them yet, so my intial impresions and remarks are right of the box, I hope I can get back to all of you when they are burned.

Im not an an expert, so bare with me. Here are the two setups that I tested them,

COSMETICS AND CONFORT

Both heaphones seem to be very good quality (inside their own price range)

CD3000 look great, I never thought they we so big, they look incredible. They are the most confortable headphones I have tried till now (not a very big list), but I test them about four hours and I have no confort regrets. All the materials seem top quality, also like the box that came with. The cable and the 1/4 connector seem very good quality. They offer decent amount of issolation, but not as good as the V6.

V6, I thought this were going to be not so good, but to my surprise they are pretty confortable as well, not as good as CD3000, but I wore them for 3 hours and they felt ok, only a slight warm feeling, but nothing untolerable. The materials seem a little cheap, but you can ask for to much for $70, still I like them very much, the folding design makes them very portable. Very good issolation.

TESTING,

I spent a lot of time today testing both headphones, and it was a delight with both of them, each has their strenghs and weekness. I dont have a dedicated heaphone amp yet (but Im planing on getting one in less than a month), but I did wanted to test them, so here are the two setups that I used,

Setup 1,
Source= Sony 755 DVD
AMP = Marantz SR6200

I mostly used two DVDs (DTS)

1) Roy Orbison / Black&White / Oh, Pretty Woman
I felt the CD3000 had much more separation and clarity, they were incredible with the highs, some time a little over, but I like them a lot, I felt that the bass was very deep and accurate, but I think they were missing a little strenght (not to much), Guitar solo was spledid. The V6 were a very kind surprise, not as detailed and upfront as the CD3000, but the bass had more precence, but a little muddy and not so accurate as the CD3000, but for $70 the sounded very good, better that what I thougt.

2) Eagles / Hell freezes over / Hotel California
Again in here the CD3000 had a lot more definition, the soundstage was wider, I felt like I could hear more, like I was in the from row, but still the bass was not so present as in the V6s, The V6s were less detailed and more laid back, but still were pretty good also. I like both cans, but the CD3000 had more to offer in most aspects.

Setup 2,
Source = Audigy 2
AMP = Pioneer VSX-D912K

I tested a lot of MP3s, mostly 128k, but to my surprise they sounded pretty good, again the same impresions that I had from my test in the setup1, the CD3000 are much more detailed, and upfront, and more reavealing, some MP3s I could hear a little how bad they were recorded, and some I couldnt tell the diference (maybe I dont have that much experience). I also felt the V6 had a little more puch in the lower frecuencies, but the CD3000 perform good in this department, the voices in the CD3000 excel like if you have the muscians if front of you. Again I like both, I tested Rock, Pop, Jazz, and some spanish songs that I like, and I was extreamly happy with both heaphones, each again has their strenght and weekness, and the CD3000 came in top, but I felt it wasnt a fair comparision, because of the price.

Also tested a little PC gaming (1st person shooters), and to my surprise, having already determined that the V6 had a little more punch in the lower frecuency, I expected them to perform better, but the CD3000 won again, they were more detailed on the sounds, I could pin point more easily than with the V6s, the shots and footsteps were very clear to me, it was pretty impresive. The V6 didnt trail to far back, is just that I prefer the soundstage that the CD3000 had. But for lan parties the V6 are defenatly more portable and issolate a lot better.

CONCLUSION,
Overall the CD3000 was better in every aspect, except the bass, but that doesnt mean they were bassless, just that I felt they still need a little more to my personal liking, in every other aspect the CD3000 prove to be a clear winner, confort, soundstage, detail, quality. I cant wait to hear this babies after they break-in. I think both cans are very good for the money, I wouldnt hesitate to recommend either to anyone looking for good headphones.

Also I want to thank you for reading my newbie review, I hope you had as much fun reading it as I had writing it, I hope I can update it when I get my amp and they heaphones burn in.

I want to thank again all the people that help me find the the right path, both headphones are incredible, I never thought that this hobby could be so good.

Take care,
Pablo Abularach

PS, Please excuse my poor writing and spelling, as my native language is spanish.

Mar 10, 2004 at 6:49 AM Post #2 of 19
Nice comparison, about what I would expect, having heard the V6 before, and now owning the CD3K. The bass of the V6 is unreal, comprable only to the DT770 which is the god of bass. If the CD3000 had just a little bit more lower bass it would be damn near perfect for me, but that tiny little grievance doen't get to me, since as you noted, they have son many great attributes.

Mar 10, 2004 at 8:15 AM Post #3 of 19
I am surprised every time someone mentions that the CD3000 "lacks" bass. This is not my experience at all
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Mar 10, 2004 at 8:19 AM Post #4 of 19
It's not so much that it lacks bass, it doesn't, but that lowest octave or two could really use some more volume/authority, it just doesn't have the power down low that I've heard from the K271 and HD280 (maybe because they have smaller chambers). The CD3000 kicks those two for the rest of the bass spectrum, though.

Mar 10, 2004 at 9:22 AM Post #5 of 19
I agreee that compared to rather bass-heavy headphones (e.g. my ultrasone 700), the cd3k might lack a little bit of bass.
however, it sounds a bit more natural this way imo.

Mar 10, 2004 at 10:11 AM Post #6 of 19
Congrats on your purchase and thanks so much for posting your thoughts. I do think that the CD3000 has both a wonderful sound and also it is, as you say, an incredibly comfortable 'phone.

Mar 10, 2004 at 10:19 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by pbirkett
I am surprised every time someone mentions that the CD3000 "lacks" bass. This is not my experience at all
wink.gif
tongue.gif

I really think that so much play a part matching the cd3000 with right source and right amp

Mar 10, 2004 at 11:08 AM Post #8 of 19
Well in my system, the bass is far more authorative than it ever was out of the K271s, so I guess I must have a pretty good thing going there. Its not quite as strong as the DT770, but its not a million miles off IMO, but it sounds far cleaner.

Mar 10, 2004 at 1:47 PM Post #9 of 19
The V6/7506 are just reliable, not fancy, good sounding, high value headphones which are standard for broadcasting, studio and at one point in the past for djing applications. They can't be compared to the CD3000. The CD3000 is audiophile.

However I am glad that you found the V6 to be of high value. A lot of stuff from Sony is not great value. You pay a lot and get back little.

Mar 10, 2004 at 5:24 PM Post #10 of 19
Nicely done! I guess this review makes you an official member of TEAM CD3000. Although I think comparing V6 and CD3000 is not fair, it's more like comparing Honda Accord with Honda S2000, all around best value with closed roof design with performance oriented open roof design. (Sony does classify CD3000 as semi-open cans, you know
wink.gif

-Mike

Mar 10, 2004 at 6:12 PM Post #11 of 19
Any one own one of those Ultrasone DVD750s? Supposedly their bass is elevated in the lowest octave. I'm just wondering how it compares to the CD3000.

Mar 11, 2004 at 5:12 PM Post #12 of 19
Thanks to all who posted, share your thoughts and opinions, I just order an Perreaux SXH1, because the offer was to good to pass, $300 shipped, but Im still considering a LaRocco PPA.

Mike,
Quote:

Sony does classify CD3000 as semi-open cans, you know

I didnt know that, I really thought they were closed can, although they dont have the isolation of the V6. Do you have a link?

Thanks again to everybody that help and guided me to buying the best that I could possible can. I hope someday I could help others as you help me,

Take care,
Pablo

Off the topic, how is the correct typing of the TEAM CD3000, so I can add it to my sig =). I see some CD3KLF and other CD3K and other CD3000.

Mar 11, 2004 at 5:44 PM Post #13 of 19
CD3K = CD3000.
CD3KLF = CD3000 Liberation Front.

I tend to think it is team salad bowls. or team Princess Leia Hairsytle.

I just want to know what MDR stands for. Or in Beyer's case, DT; in Grado's case SR, in AKG's K, Senn's HD, etc. At least Philips uses HP for "Head Phone".

Mar 11, 2004 at 6:28 PM Post #14 of 19
I was told by sales reps on Sony store located in Chicago, IL and Sony technitian over the phone. Sales rep said CD3000 has a more subtle design philosophy than the well-marketed CD2000 for using closed front and open end design.

I used to own CD2000 and I remember its manual read something like "Type: Dynamic, Closed" but its feature read something like "Feature: closed front, open back design to reproduce good bass and mid to high frequencies to be wide and open sound stage". Too conflicting statements, when I called Sony Tech (I'm very anal
wink.gif
), one of the technitian replied that both Sony CD3000/CD2000 are closed front and open back design (I think his exact words were "closed, but semi-open").

He commented that is why more sound leaks from CD3000 than the traditional closed cans such as V6. It's been a while since I read the manual for CD3000, but I don't remember reading specific indication that his is the case. Someone should correct me if I was misslead or mistaken! Thanks,

-Mike

Mar 11, 2004 at 6:40 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

one of the technitian replied that both Sony CD3000/CD2000 are closed front and open back design (I think his exact words were "closed, but semi-open

Maybe the technician was popping pills.

The CD3000 is a closed headphone. I don't know how it could be classified as 'semi-open' or open back, if 'back' refers to the enclosure part of the headphone. The 'slightly' less isolation as compared to for example, the 7506/v6, I would probably attribute to the earpad seal and/or clamping force differences.

-Chris

NOTE(8-31-2004): I was wrong. Incorrect. Errored. The CD3000 is semi-open. The joint where the cup enclosure is mounted to the main frame allows free movement of air. The result is signficantly less isolation then is possible if the unit was sealed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back