Infinity Primus 360
Jan 31, 2006 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

taylor

1000+ Head-Fier
My speakers are old BIC Venturi Formula 2s. They are extremely efficent (One time, out of boredom, I powered them out of a headphone jack, and it worked.) and I like them very much, but I could use an extra pair of speakers for the bedroom and was thinking about springing for an upgrade for my regular system, since I have disposable income and all.

Soundwise, I like the BICs. They have horn tweeters and dome supertweeters. I find them to be a little bit grainy, but I like the separation between instruments (where it's not all blended together, if you listen you can pick out separate instruments or vocals). I don't know all that much about sound terms, but I like how they are 'euphonic' (right word?). They are fun to listen to. Some speakers that I've heard are very neutral and sharp and bring out flaws in the recording. The BICs sound good on crappy 128kbps MP3s, they sound good on SACDs. When I listen to them, it's not 'oh, the treble sounds good.' it's 'oh, the music sounds good.' I think they could stand to be a little less grainy and a little more involving (they are somewhat boring compared to K340s) but I like them overall.

I'm looking for relatively inexpensive speakers that will do above things like the BICs, but sound better, be less grainy, and more involving.

I read the Stereophile review of the Infinity Primus 360. I work at a large electronics store, and I can purchase these for personal use far below MSRP. $240/pair plus shipping. Stereophile compared them favorably to $600+ speakers. I was wondering if there were any other speakers I should be looking at. I can Infinity Primus and Beta and Polk Monitor and RTi at ~60% off MSRP through work.

I've heard that Polk Monitor sucks, but how about Infinity Beta 40 or 50 ($340 and $420 respectively, per pair), or Polk RTi 8 or 10 ($400 and $500 respectively, per pair)? Any thing that I can get for the same price that's better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back