Inexpensive headphones with good sub-bass? Trying to choose from a list
Oct 13, 2013 at 12:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sushiwarrior

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fi, I'm looking for some headphones with enough sub-bass to power some "original" style dubstep (Skream, Mala, Loefah etc.) and I need something with enough sub-bass to hit those 20-30Hz notes. I've read through all of the recommendation guides, but I'm not sure any of them are geared towards someone looking for as much low-end as I am. I'm talking songs like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-cqZVKOEUg (Loefah - Goat Stare) which are essentially 20-30Hz sine waves for half of the song. As far as the rest of the spectrum goes, highs are more important than mids (for good snares) and the bass should ideally extend super deep, but not be bloated sounding. I currently own AD-700's and I enjoy them for almost any other genre, but I essentially can't hear any tone under 30Hz unless I hold my hands over the cups to make them more like a closed design (didn't buy them with this genre in mind haha). I also have MEElectronics M6's and SP51's, I find the M6's bass slightly too bloated and not quite deep enough to give some reference.

I'm more or less torn between the Monoprice 8323, Sony XDR-600 (500's are discontinued :frowning2: ), Incipio F38, Sony MDR-V55, and Pioneer Pioneer SE-D10MT-K (which I fear suck horribly, but Amazon reviews seem positive for whatever that is worth), Sony MDR-V6, Koss PRO DJ100, the list goes on.... I'm not looking for the perfect headphone, just the best sub-bass I can get at under $100!

Other requirements
Budget: <$100
Style: On ear/Over ear as long as they are portable (eg. no AD-700's)
Music: Deep, heavy, minimal dubstep (plus maybe some metal or blues rock)
Source: Either an Aune T1 or my phone (HTC 8S)
Other requirements: DJ style is nice (eg. rotating style so you can only have 1 ear on), since I occasionally DJ. 

Thanks for the suggestions and help guys!

Oct 13, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #2 of 9
Edited list to add a few things, also to be clear I am looking for just the best sub-bass, not the best all around headphone. As long as the mids and highs are passable I am happy. I'm willing to compromise, after all you don't get the best when you spend the least XD

Oct 13, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 9
  Edited list to add a few things, also to be clear I am looking for just the best sub-bass, not the best all around headphone. As long as the mids and highs are passable I am happy. I'm willing to compromise, after all you don't get the best when you spend the least XD

wow... honestly I used my XB 700s with Orignal Style Dub Step back in my hey day of Dub Step... I paid $80 for them new but that was almost 2 years ago, and the price has sky rocketed since then... but check eBay the XB 700 still show up and I promise you they have the BEST sub bass under $100 PERIOD, The mids and Highs I felt where passable

Oct 13, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 9
Well I definitely would jump on a pair of XB700's OR XB500's if I ever saw them for a reasonable price... $200+ is just nuts though :/

Some pairs which interested me were the Philips Citiscape Downtown and the JVC HAS400, anyone have experience with those? The frequency chart from InnerFidelity review of the Downtown's showed they go to 10-15Hz (-3dB) so that seemed promising, but I've been reading reviews which go back and forth from saying they have tons of bass and absolutely none. Kinda confused.

Oct 13, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 9
  Well I definitely would jump on a pair of XB700's OR XB500's if I ever saw them for a reasonable price... $200+ is just nuts though :/

Some pairs which interested me were the Philips Citiscape Downtown and the JVC HAS400, anyone have experience with those? The frequency chart from InnerFidelity review of the Downtown's showed they go to 10-15Hz (-3dB) so that seemed promising, but I've been reading reviews which go back and forth from saying they have tons of bass and absolutely none. Kinda confused.

The XB 500 should still be pretty cheap actually... the 700s show up here at head fi and on eBay from time to time and NEVER BUY A NEW xb 700 ONLY buy them used.

The news could be fake, and the price

sadly it's getting late and I have class in teh morning but there is a device called the DigiZoid, it's a bass boosting amp and I think it's max setting like like +15 30hrz or something insane! Granted it is $100 alone BUT... well thats +15 30hrz... it'll make even mid bass heavy cans sub bass monsters 

Oct 14, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #6 of 9

JVC HA-S500 has better bass output than S400, although not sure about the sub bass extension (I used to own them but never checked 20-30hz).

AKG K518 LE have a good bit of bass. Just tried a 20hz sine wave on mine. Does pretty well, although certainly other bass frequencies are more powerful. Has decent mids and highs, too. See the Innerfidelity data sheet: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK581LE.pdf. I did mod mine to reduce cub resonance to improve the bass SQ (blue tack mod).

Oct 14, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #7 of 9
Yeah, with my AD700's anything under 35-40Hz is absolutely inaudible... Would you suggest the HAS500's or the Koss' then? They both seem nice and portable, but the K518 almost seems to small to be bassy XD 

Anyone have experience with the Superlux HD681 EVO? They look decent from what I have seen, and go for super cheap. Or any of the other Superlux models for that matter.

Oct 14, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #8 of 9
  Yeah, with my AD700's anything under 35-40Hz is absolutely inaudible... Would you suggest the HAS500's or the Koss' then? They both seem nice and portable, but the K518 almost seems to small to be bassy XD 

Anyone have experience with the Superlux HD681 EVO? They look decent from what I have seen, and go for super cheap. Or any of the other Superlux models for that matter.

yea that sounds like the AD 700 lol

Don't worry about the size lol, keep in mind there are SUPER bassy Iems [those are like 8-15mm drivers compared to 30-70mm in full size headphones] so size is not an indicator of bass. 

Not sure of the Super Lux though, they get a lot of positive feed back though, hopefullly some one who has heard them can chime in! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back