1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Inexpensive Audiophile Headphones

Next

Last
  1. dxpanda1
    Hello, so I'm looking for some cheap audiophile grade headphones to replace my Razer Kraken 7.1 V2's which keep disconnecting and reconnecting so if you have any recommendations let me know and my budget is around $300 NZD

2. ProtegeManiac Contributor
    Philips SHP9500

3. dxpanda1
    Are those headphones good for music and games?

4. ProtegeManiac Contributor
    Objectively, better for music. If you use surround simulation, it wouldn't be too far behind the Kraken.

Subjectively, no one can answer that. What if you just prefer the Kraken's bass for example.

5. dxpanda1
    Are the Audio Technica m50's good because I want to lower my budget to $100

6. atarione
    some people like to hate the ATH M50's .. however they are pretty good headphones, I have had the M50's for some years now, they are fairly rugged and have a "fun" v-shaped sound.. they do have a fairly narrow sound stage which isn't the best for games but if you aren't competitive gaming ..meh.. The M50's also have the advantage of being extremely easy to drive .. if you have a decent amp and aren't planning on using the headphones on the go.. consider the beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80's as they sound like the m50's but better in every way, however they are large and have a long fixed cable making them terrible headphones to use on the go, they are also hard to drive so you'll want to have amp of some sort.

7. dxpanda1
    ok, so I'm into competitive games mainly rainbow 6 siege so I want to hear footsteps easier and I also want something that's good for music as well

8. Duffius
    I would look at used gear.

9. HBen
    In my area the AKG K702 can be had for less than 120$ new nowadays, which is quite a bargain considering it's predecessor, the K701 was once a TOTL-headphone in the 700$ range.
    Even though nowadays many TOTL headphones surpass it, I still find it one of the best headphones in existence when considering price vs. performance.

Otherwise a (used or new) Sennheiser HD6XX-Line headphone or a Hifiman HE400i is always a good place to start :)

Cheers and good luck on your headphone journey.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  10. ProtegeManiac Contributor
    Right now I can only afford a $20,000 car, $5,000 down and low interest on the difference, but I want it to be great for grand touring in any weather condition while holding its own against a Corvette.

In other words, just like your requirements, that's not gonna happen outside of getting it cheap outside of getting lucky on a used car with financing.

Except the maintenance if not restoration/repairs, premium fuel, etc, are still likely going to drive costs up just as a headphone that does all those things will likely need an amp, so getting lucky isn't really getting that lucky.

11. dxpanda1
    So, I've found a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 32ohm for a $200 buy now and I want to know how good they will be for games and general use?
    Here's the link to the headphones ( http://bit.ly/2Hp5zqG )

12. Cruelhand Luke
    The DT880 would probably be better for gaming...can you get those for the same price?

13. dxpanda1
    I don't think I can get a pair of those for around $200 NZD

14. Cruelhand Luke
    Can you get some SHP 9500s? Thats probably a better choice....the soundstage will be much more accurate for gaming, especially if you do some simple mods...they can be made into some pretty fantastic headphones.

15. dxpanda1
    What kind of mods? and I can get the SHP 9500 not the s version for $200 buy now

Next

Last