InEarz Zen-2/Zen-4 Official Tour Thread
Aug 29, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #91 of 148
Got them last night and will do my review here as most of the particulars have been covered. One correction on an earlier review is that these come with the ADEL S1 module, not the B1.
1st the Zen 2. I really like these. They have plenty of bass without masking any mids and the top is very smooth yet informative without the BA etch while still maintaining the clarity that they are noted for. Extended in a very natural way without calling attention to the fact. I think this is a steal for most folks as the hold up well to noisey environs with a bit of extra bass weight while not masking any of the mids when surroundings are quiet. The have a touch of mid presence which is nicely balanced with the bass weight. I'm a neutral kind of guy so when I say the bass never gets in the way, I mean it. It's a voicing choice and I think they pulled it off beautifully on both these IEMs. The very natural mid to high balance without any sort of phasiness etc is a great indicator that these guys know their craft. I like a little presence bump as it sounds a bit more there to me.

What you get here is a fun and slightly warm IEM that is still natural/neutral and not U shaped and I really appreciate that. It allows you to hear into the music without throwing 'detail' in your face in an unnatural way. I experimented with tips and modules and what I liked best was some Complys with the foam cut to the end of the plastic ring and a G1 module. Gave it a fun present open quality that belied its price. It's mids are better than any 2 way that I've previously come across with no sense of crossover. I love the design. The tip shape and angle is simply awesome. I can't imagine anyone not getting a comfortable fit with these and tips stay put. Lots of good thought and design here.

Zen 4. This is a more refined take on the same theme. It goes a bit lower, the mids a bit smoother. It sounds a bit warmer because of the smoother mids but has at least as much actual clarity as the Z2. It can take on complex passages and resolve all that's there, it just isn't up front. Gives it a dryer take. Same smooth extended top and more even from lower mid to very top. A bit more bass amplitude than the Z2 but just a bit. Again, this one came with the ADEL S1 module. I again prefered the G1 and think the B1 would also be viable here (no longer have on to try). I could see this being a go to for classical listeners. Most won't find these as warm at all since their sources won't be as warm as mine (QP1r) as it was not that warm on my AK120 or phone. It's a voicing choice to allow it a universal acceptance while not robbing them of goodness.

Overall, I feel these are both very good values but thing the Zen 2 is a real steal and very voiceable. With the great tips and accessories supplied they both represent outstanding value. These have enough bass to hold up to a B1 module for those that want neutral to lean sig. I personally lean towards neutral but actually prefer to favor this side of the preference issue as neutral is lean when on the go and unrelenting of source.

Just a note. I listened and played with these for only about an hour. That's a testament to these as there were no oddities or nasties to work around and they are close to right without phasey nonsense or artificial creation happening here. Solid engineering and sound. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #92 of 148
Nice impressions! While I preferred the G1 module in the Zen2, I like the B1 in my Zen4. Differences are subtle but noticeable. Detail and air in the mids and highs are just a bit more shaded toward that of the Zen2, sort of a Zen3 sound if one can imagine that.

It is nice to have the flexibility to be able to tweak the sound with different modules. For those who might want to personalize their Zens, I am sure that the ultimate choice of tip and module will simply be individual personal preference as, IMO, there is no "best for all" choice.

Aug 29, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #94 of 148
Nice impressions goodvibes! I was surprised by how much I liked the Zen 2. For my personal preferences I would rather have that then the Zen 4. Maybe I am a little weird.
No not weird, the consensus seems to be that the Zen2 is an overachiever. It performs well and has a clarity that is way beyond a 2 driver IEM. The Zen4 is a bit warmer neutral while the Zen2 is a bit cooler neutral. I'd love to see what they could do with a Zen6.

Aug 29, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #96 of 148
Nice impressions! While I preferred the G1 module in the Zen2, I like the B1 in my Zen4. Differences are subtle but noticeable. Detail and air in the mids and highs are just a bit more shaded toward that of the Zen2, sort of a Zen3 sound if one can imagine that.

It is nice to have the flexibility to be able to tweak the sound with different modules. For those who might want to personalize their Zens, I am sure that the ultimate choice of tip and module will simply be individual personal preference as, IMO, there is no "best for all" choice.
Sounds right. I no longer had a B1 to try but suspected it would be a great fit.

Aug 31, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #97 of 148
I have been briefed on some of the past issues some have had with Asius technologies.
I dont have an answer or explanation for those issues, That would have to be directed to them. We are just using the ADEL technology that we believe in 100%.
Being a hearing aid manufacturer, we love protecting hearing as much as possible.

We feel that the ADEL modules are a great compliment to our models
I completely agree and I only had a great experience with them when needing some help. Awesome service.

I'd like to add that when I did my review a few posts back, I purposely had stayed away from this thread and other reviews so went in cold and unbiased.

Other IEMs I own or have owned. JH13fp, jh16v2, Spartan Adel, PP8, Andromeda, PS6 etc. I really preferred these to things like the 64audio 3way which have received great reviews and are more their competition and had no issues simply enjoying music on the Zens, even with a relatively high level of expectations.

I usually hear something that needs a major work around or calls my attention away from the music, even on some of these higher priced units but the zens were friendly while informative. They had a bit of extra warmth but it didn't mask the mids and can be made preferred for individual expectations by choosing a different adel module. If the Zen2 was my only IEM for instance, I would personally use a G1 module most of the time and also have O1 module for a complete seal for travel etc when you need extra bass and isolation to compensate for environmental noise. The S1 functions almost as well for that and also offers some hearing protection so maybe S1 plus G1 for me. Most people like it warmer than I do or have leaner sources so they are likely perfect as is for most. Much is made about bass tuning on other IEM models. Here, you can have that if you want at a great price and almost be assured of finding a favorable preferred voicing.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #99 of 148
So what is the status of the tour? Does Barra have them yet? Not too many reviews (but good ones that were written)
Yeah, @Barra should have them in his possession at this point. He should've received them on Wednesday. So he'll have til next Friday to review and ship them out. Full reviews weren't required in the tour just impressions in the thread, of course though full reviews are definitely appreciated.

Sep 7, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #100 of 148
Just got them yesterday and about to listen to them tonight. :)

Sep 7, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #101 of 148
So what is the status of the tour? Does Barra have them yet? Not too many reviews (but good ones that were written)
Weaves did you want to get in on the tour? If so you would be the last person, @rantng is after Barra then you would be up. If so just send the required information to me via email and I'll get you on the rotation.

Sep 7, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #102 of 148
So.... they surprised me. They are each really good, more so than I expected. I started out on my best equipment - PC > Sonarworks True-Fi > Hugo 2 > EC ZD tube amp > Z2/4 - to see how well they scaled and they don't disappoint. I have yet to see what they do on my DAPs, or iPhone, but on the good rig they sound stellar. Was testing against my 12t and the Fourte' and even though those two are clearly better, the Z2/4 both were very enjoyable in comparison. I think the APEX module makes a huge difference in listenability as well as the soundstage. Given other comments that I have seen, the bass surprised me as very good and not lacking in any way. No, they are not huge bass like the 12t, but nice impact regardless. However, I should point out that the True-Fi is an equalization program that has the HD800 signature engaged and the bass boosted all the way. My DAPs are not bass boosted so I may see a big difference.

Between the 2 and the 4, I could go ether way. The 2 seemed the most balanced in signature with the 4 having the lows and the mids forward a bit. The 4 seemed more euphonic and has a wider soundstage. Both had a forward presentation - but more so the 2 - just the way I like it. The 2 seemed a little brighter and clearer, while the 4 made me focus on the mids.

That's it for now, but may have interesting thoughts following my DAPs trial.

Sep 12, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #103 of 148
I was fortunate enough to pick up a pair of the zen 4's during the 25% off sale.

I know that everyone has their own preferences , but to me these are superb.

They tick all the right boxes for me, they are comfortable, the bass and treble are just as I like them, and the mids are perfect.

So thanks for starting this thread and introducing me to inearz.

Also many thanks to inearz for producing such a gem.

Steve

Sep 12, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #104 of 148
I was fortunate enough to pick up a pair of the zen 4's during the 25% off sale.

I know that everyone has their own preferences , but to me these are superb.

They tick all the right boxes for me, they are comfortable, the bass and treble are just as I like them, and the mids are perfect.

So thanks for starting this thread and introducing me to inearz.

Also many thanks to inearz for producing such a gem.

Steve

One of the best posts in this thread! Congrats Steve!

Sep 16, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #105 of 148
Okay guys, the tour is coming to a close, @rantng should be receiving them tomorrow and once he's done @Weaves will get his turn with the tourkit. This has been a great learning experience on hosting the thread. I want to thank everyone for participating in the tour and I'd like everyone to give @Lil' Fish and InEarz Audio a big thanks for doing this for us!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back