Indonesian portable DAP prototype discussion (split from Tera Player thread)
Nov 12, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #290 of 391
Put my video into a review: LINK

That was a very non-fatiguing viewing! Nice review video - I like your laid back vibe, but still lots of useful info. Can't wait for your Nighthawk review video! :)

Nov 12, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #291 of 391
That was a very non-fatiguing viewing! Nice review video - I like your laid back vibe, but still lots of useful info. Can't wait for your Nighthawk review video! :)

Thanks for the feedback, Wayne. I tried to make it a more personal / conversational style and was afraid it might move too slowly for people who're use to fast-paced vids with lots of infographics and such. I'm glad it was useful without all the video bling-bling! 

Nov 13, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #293 of 391
I am hoping there will be another r2r version as that sounded sublime in the Tera-Player.

Nov 13, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #295 of 391
The upcoming DAP is multibit dac, and FYI, Tera is also not using R-2R DAC.

Can you help me understand why the Tera specs say it has an r2r DAC, TJ?

And for the record, I know Tera has high praise but is hard to imagine it being tied with PortaPro, lol...

TERA-PLAYER SPECIFICATION

size: 57 x 57 x 18 mm

weight: 80 grams

case: all aluminum black anodized, laser engraved

front rear plates: 2mm aluminum black anodized, CNC machined

main chip: ARM Cortex, proprietary operating system

DAC: NOS Philips R2R with current output, ASRS element and true 16-bit resolution

oversampling: zero -> no oversampling and no digital filter on the Tera-Player

I/V conversion: Burr-Brown

headphone amplifiers: Burr Brown

oscillators: 2 separate ultra-precision crystal oscillators supplied by Golledge with RMS period jitter spec: 5ps max. and RMS phase jitter spec: 1 ps max, meeting/exceeding the performance of currently offered FemtoClocks® (FemtoClock® is a registered trademark of IDT which is in no way affiliated with AMM)

battery: Motorola LI-ION 700mAh

charging: mini-USB port 300mA, monitored by red LED

playtime on single charge: >12h (15h tested with 6 years old battery)

charge time: 2h 80%

Storage: SDHC card slot with 4/8/16 or 32 GB SDHC

currently testing SDXC cards with 64GB and 128GB (SDXC cards must be formatted to FAT32 for use in the Tera-Player,

supported file type: WAV stereo 16-bit and 24-bit. Tera does not support file formats that cripple music (i.e. mp3, DSD, etc.)

Supported sample-rates: 44.1 / 48 / 88.2 / 96 / 176.4 and 192 kHz

headphone outputs: silver plated contacts, 2 separate outputs: teramega and superduper, can be used simultaneously

recommended headphones: Koss Porta-Pro, Kramer mod. Modified Koss-PP are available from hiflightaudio

navigation: tactile pad with 5 stainless steel buttons, gold plated contactor foil, hand assembled

high quality digital volume control

navigation commands: next previous track / album / artist

supports iTunes® music library structure

5 (five) years limited warranty, 6 years for the 2014 'up Tera models

hand-made in Germany

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #298 of 391
AFAIK, tera using TDA1541A as their DAC chip, and with my limited knowledge TDA1387 and 1545A they are shared a lot in common, the big difference is lying on their input data format, 1545A using EIAJ method and 1387 using i2s method.

Maybe jambul can explain much further on this one..

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #299 of 391
Hi,

CMIIW

there is no .. i repeat..there is no R2R dac chip made by phillips. period.  TDA1541, tda1545, tda1543, tda1387 are not R2R dac chip.

Multibit dac chip and R2R is a different term. multibit is for how the dac procces the digital data. the R2R is what inside the dac chip to procces the data.

the true R2R dac chip is PCM 63/1704/56 anything else i didn't know for sure.

the different betwen tda1387 and 1545 is the data input to the chip while 1387 is the i2s version of 1545. the other different is by how phillips use the pin 7 on both dac chip..the tda 1545 need V ref to make the dac chip work properly while the 1387 need capacitance.

best reference on commercial use of dac using tda1387 is audial d09 by pedja rogic
best reference on commercial use of dac using tda1545 is jundac five by junaeda

Users who are viewing this thread

Back