Indie - Folk suggestions
May 23, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #31 of 48
I also just got into Neutral Milk Hotel. I will second In The Aeroplane Over The Sea. Pretty similar to The Mountain Goats in terms of delivery IMO. I haven't actually bothered listening to the lyrics intently yet though.

I also like a bit of Okkervil River from what I've heard on Last.fm and Lala, but have yet to download anything by them.

May 23, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #32 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Overheat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi there,

i love this style of music - i prefer more indie style stuff than the country lean, but i'd have to recommend to you one of my favourite artists, Damien Rice. his "O" album has song after song of beautiful music, whereas the more recent "9" takes a lot more getting into but is technically a greater achievement.

my other love of late (discounting the phenominal Thom Yorke) is the many different faces of Ben Gibbard, his folkier stuff may be of interest to you with Death Cab and whatnot, but I adore his more electronic side with Postal Service - some of the most enjoyable and feelgood music I've ever heard disguising the dark and political lyrics, and the love-lost-beats. purely blissful.

oh yeah, Damien Rice. his live is pretty good. Check out his live video on youtube.

May 25, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #36 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Overheat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my other love of late (discounting the phenominal Thom Yorke) is the many different faces of Ben Gibbard, his folkier stuff may be of interest to you with Death Cab and whatnot, but I adore his more electronic side with Postal Service - some of the most enjoyable and feelgood music I've ever heard disguising the dark and political lyrics, and the love-lost-beats. purely blissful.

X2 on Thom Yorke. Everyone should listen to his solo album. And the Postal Service's loan album is amazing also.

As for indie-folk suggestions, I would second the suggestion of Andrew Bird. That guy makes awesome music.

Jun 8, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #38 of 48
Current 93 - Thunder Perfect Mind

Jun 8, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #39 of 48
I second (or third, whatever) Andrew Bird, the latest album, Noble Beast, is truly amazing! I also love The Shins - New Slang, truly great song, got the album arriving today or tomorrow.
As for female singers, i would really recomend Anna Ternheim, a swedish singer with deep lyrics and a nice, veiled voice.
You might also want to check out Ray LaMontagne, great lyrics, maybe not Indie, more towards blues, but great nontheless...

Jun 8, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #41 of 48
Jun 10, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #42 of 48
David Gray is a brilliant artist that nobody has mentioned; he manages to make me laugh with his very definite word pronunciations.
Then there's Cat Stevens. Tea for the Tillerman and Teaser and the Firecat have both stood the test of time and will forever remain personal favourites.
I also love listening to Donovan's obscure, lyrical wordplay and Ralph McTell's folk songs happen to float my boat.

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #44 of 48
Jun 10, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #45 of 48
Great thread guys!!! Exact thing I've been hunting down, I should hang around these parts more often!

Another vote for Drake, Bryter Layter is a really cool album...I know, not indie folk, but thought I'd throw it out there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back