Indie - Folk suggestions
May 16, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #16 of 48
Lots of good suggestions so far, and some great sounding ones too, like Nina Nastasia (especially love Dogs), and Wayne Robbins & the Hellsayers, Bon Iver, Over the Rhine (Ohio is excellent), Sixteen Horsepower (Folklore is a classic in my mind).

I'd also recommend the first Califone record, Roomsound (or the EPs that preceded it). Born of that country blues sound the Stones made in Exile, but mixed with more of a junkyard folk sound, and some amazing imagery in the fragmented lyrics. Very nice sound too. One of Brian Deck's best. Also check out the excellent Ugly Casanova record he did with members of Modest Mouse and Califone and Black Heart Procession and Holopaw (who's debut is also great).

Josh Ritter's Animal Years is excellent too, Brian Deck does a good job recording, though mastered a bit too loud.

Gillian Welch - Time (The Revelator) is kind of an audiophile classic now.

Richard Buckner - Any of the first three, Bloomed (on the original DejaDisc or Glitterhouse, not the later loudly remastered Ryko version), Devotion + Doubt (one of the best records ever), and Since

Radar Bros - And the Surrounding Mountains (kind of a mix of Neil Young and Mercury Rev, with maybe some Handsome Family darkness)

Tracker - Polk (dusty and quirky - also the Dodos Visiter from last year is recorded by the same guy John Askew and has some of the same qualities, very good release)

May 16, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #18 of 48
I'm on much the same kick as you. Lots of the stuff recommended above; esp, Fleet Foxes, Bon Iver, Iron and Wine - All good. Definitely get hold of some Nick Drake as well. For older stuff also look at some Pentangle, or Bert Jansch and John Renbourn's other solo stuff and collaborations. Newer stuff in a similar vein, Boo Hewerdine I'm liking a lot, Songs ; Ohia esp Into the Dark, Lau - more instrumental and folky but very good, Bonnie 'Prince' Billy I find a bit same-y but still enjoyable.

Sam

May 21, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #19 of 48
some excellent recommendations in this thread. i can't recommend nina nastasia enough. her album that is my personal favorite is the blackened air. some others:

phosphorescent

dm stith

micah p. hinson (epic song linked)

cowboy junkies (the trinity session: a southern gothic folk classic)

May 21, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #21 of 48
Fleet Foxes are great (and amazing live, seriously. Go to see them in an intimate venue if you can). I'd suggest the Sun Giant EP over the self titled LP though, it's better IMO although obviously not as long.

Laura Marling? "Alas I Cannot Swim" is played far more than it should be on my systems although I have no idea what the folk genre covers but I think it fits the bill.

May 21, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #22 of 48
animal collective, shearwater, okkervil river, the national, mirah, microphones

those are a few i'd recommend

also, neutral milk hotel's "in the aeroplane over the sea" is my favorite album ever.

May 22, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #23 of 48
Following up on some of the other recommendations on this thread - liking the Nina Nastasia and Laura Marling - realised how few modern female vocalists I've heard much of - great stuff.

May 22, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #24 of 48
  1. Elliott Smith
  2. Palace Brothers
  3. Leonard Cohen
  4. The Moondoggies
  5. Neko Case
  6. Cat Power
  7. Wilco
  8. Uncle Tupelo
  9. M. Ward
  10. "Once" soundtrack
  11. DeVotchka

Not indie but I still love Cat Stevens too.

May 22, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #25 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
^ Excellent!!! Lonely-feeling but comforting.

Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
^ Did not appeal to me at first, but it's really grown on me bigtime.

Iron & Wine - The Shepherd's Dog, Our Endless Numbered Days, In The Reins (with Calexico), Woman King (Everything I own, his other albums are probably good too)
^ Very peaceful and soothing. Beautiful stuff.

The Mountain Goats - All Hail West Texas, Heretic Pride, The Sunset Tree, Tallahassee, Black Pear Tree (with Kaki King)
^ John Darnielle is an absolutely awesome lyricist. I love his voice, but if nasal voices bother you, it might be tough.

Over the Rhine - Ohio
^ The singer has a beautiful voice. The music is very earthy.

The Decemberists - Castaways and Cutouts, The Crane Wife, Picaresque (Everything I own by them)
^ A lot more rocking than the other bands, they're probably folk rock. Very fun music, but once again the singer has a sort of nasal voice.

Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
^ Very sentimental, can be annoying if you don't really like music that way. I love it though and think this album is near perfectly made (not to say that the album is perfect, but just that every song has appeal to me and contributes to the experience of the whole). I wouldn't really define him as folk, but it's definitely evident in his music.

Andrew Bird - The Mysterious Production of Eggs, Armchair Apocrypha, Soldier On, The Swimming Hour (Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire)
^ Not totally folk either, but it's great stuff. Some songs grab you right away while others take a bit of time to appreciate, but he puts out a lot of wonderful tunes.

omgm yes. YUS!

May 23, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #26 of 48
This thread is missing Johnny Flynn & The Sussex Wit, A Larum is my favorite album of the last few years.

May 23, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #28 of 48
LOTS of great stuff recommended here. Gonna add two - Ys by Joanna Newsom - talk about ethereal, unique voices... and Julie Doiron - I Can Wonder what you did with your Day, just light fun stuff.
gg

May 23, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #29 of 48
picked up the new Grizzly Bear this week - Gorgeous. Very heavy on the harmonies but not as derivative as Fleet Foxes. Favorite thing I've heard in awhile.
Second vote for Espers - II, kinda like Fairport Convention meets Black Sabbath...they did an entire tour a couple years ago where they only performed in planetariums!
Over the Rhine - Ohio !!
Nina Nastacia !!
if you wanna go back a couple years, Fairport Convention's 'Unhalfbricking' is incredible - Sandy Denny has a voice that will chill you.

May 23, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #30 of 48
hi there,

i love this style of music - i prefer more indie style stuff than the country lean, but i'd have to recommend to you one of my favourite artists, Damien Rice. his "O" album has song after song of beautiful music, whereas the more recent "9" takes a lot more getting into but is technically a greater achievement.

my other love of late (discounting the phenominal Thom Yorke) is the many different faces of Ben Gibbard, his folkier stuff may be of interest to you with Death Cab and whatnot, but I adore his more electronic side with Postal Service - some of the most enjoyable and feelgood music I've ever heard disguising the dark and political lyrics, and the love-lost-beats. purely blissful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back