Indie - Folk suggestions
May 14, 2009 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

guyx1992

500+ Head-Fier
Hey..
For approx. 6-7 years my main genre of music was rock, mostly 70s rock (zeppelin, stones, pink floyd and more). I have been listening to folk like beirut and noah and the whale and more but never expanded my folk collection.
Yesterday I heard on last.fm the "Jose Gonzalez" radio and fell in love.
I found some great artists but I don't remember non of them lol. And Last.fm requires 3$/mo to continue using their radio service and I don't want to pay money for it.

Anyway, I got some albums of "Jose Gonzalez" and "Kings of Convenience" and really enjoy them.
Do you have any more suggestions?
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, I also enjoy beirut
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #3 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyx1992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey..
For approx. 6-7 years my main genre of music was rock, mostly 70s rock (zeppelin, stones, pink floyd and more). I have been listening to folk like beirut and noah and the whale and more but never expanded my folk collection.
Yesterday I heard on last.fm the "Jose Gonzalez" radio and fell in love.
I found some great artists but I don't remember non of them lol. And Last.fm requires 3$/mo to continue using their radio service and I don't want to pay money for it.

Anyway, I got some albums of "Jose Gonzalez" and "Kings of Convenience" and really enjoy them.
Do you have any more suggestions?
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, I also enjoy beirut
biggrin.gif

16 HP and Sufjan Stevens come to mind. Also might want to check out La blogotheque which is a fairly popular French website with tons and tons of modern indie folk on it and healthy cult following for fans of that genre. Basically the aim of the website is to present mostly indie folk artists playing live, but its got all kinds of stuff on it and also has plenty of stuff in English. Hope that helps.

May 14, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #5 of 48
Three suggestions for you:

=> WAYNE ROBBINS – The Lonesome Sea

=> FLEET FOXES – Fleet Foxes

=> HUNS & DR. BEEKER – The Middle of Somewhere

I think you can't go wrong with these.

Demetrio.

May 14, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #7 of 48
I second the Sufjan Stevens and Fleet Foxes recommendations (if you have the option of going vinyl for either, DO IT! Their vinyl releases both sound incredibly amazing compared to their CD equivalents).

Here are a couple other albums you may want to check out, these are some of my favorite indie-folk albums out:

Espers - "The Weed Tree" and "II"

Devendra Banhart - "Smokey Rolls Down Thunder Canyon"

May 14, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #9 of 48
Yeah, I like Fleet Foxes too though I'm not thrilled about the Beach Boy influences in some of their songs.
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by adrift /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I like Fleet Foxes too though I'm not thrilled about the Beach Boy influences in some of their songs.
biggrin.gif

Yup. Agreed. It's a bit overt. Jose Gonzalez has that whole Simon and Garfunkel thing going that bugs me somewhat the same, but I still like Jose and the Fleet Foxes.

Andrew Bird?

May 14, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #11 of 48
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
^ Excellent!!! Lonely-feeling but comforting.

Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
^ Did not appeal to me at first, but it's really grown on me bigtime.

Iron & Wine - The Shepherd's Dog, Our Endless Numbered Days, In The Reins (with Calexico), Woman King (Everything I own, his other albums are probably good too)
^ Very peaceful and soothing. Beautiful stuff.

The Mountain Goats - All Hail West Texas, Heretic Pride, The Sunset Tree, Tallahassee, Black Pear Tree (with Kaki King)
^ John Darnielle is an absolutely awesome lyricist. I love his voice, but if nasal voices bother you, it might be tough.

Over the Rhine - Ohio
^ The singer has a beautiful voice. The music is very earthy.

The Decemberists - Castaways and Cutouts, The Crane Wife, Picaresque (Everything I own by them)
^ A lot more rocking than the other bands, they're probably folk rock. Very fun music, but once again the singer has a sort of nasal voice.

Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
^ Very sentimental, can be annoying if you don't really like music that way. I love it though and think this album is near perfectly made (not to say that the album is perfect, but just that every song has appeal to me and contributes to the experience of the whole). I wouldn't really define him as folk, but it's definitely evident in his music.

Andrew Bird - The Mysterious Production of Eggs, Armchair Apocrypha, Soldier On, The Swimming Hour (Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire)
^ Not totally folk either, but it's great stuff. Some songs grab you right away while others take a bit of time to appreciate, but he puts out a lot of wonderful tunes.

May 15, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #13 of 48
I like the Fleet Foxes as well.

Check out the band Fire on Fire, 'The Orchard' - it is just an amazing album.

I would recommend Jolie Holland also. Her older albums. Escondido, Springtime Can Kill You, Catalpa.

Also, be sure to check out Band of Bees. Albums from them to check out are Free the Bee's or Octopus.

May 15, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #15 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aslan123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Iron and Wine is also nice.

Nick Drake is from the late 1960's -> early 1970's and I'm not sure if you can consider him 'Indie' but I enjoy his work as well.

I love Nick Drake's "Pink Moon" album.
I'm checking all of your suggestions. So far I got a hold of "Chinatown" and "Fleet Foxes" and more to come.
Any more suggestions?
thank you all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back