Indecisive about amps for my HF-1's and HD 580's
Mar 31, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Solbergg you have had the raptor for a while now
very_evil_smiley.gif
Have you been able to get any sleep
biggrin.gif

Haha, funny that you mention it, I haven't gone to sleep before 2am since I picked it up from Tyrion
eek.gif

Apr 4, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #32 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by solbergg
Haha, funny that you mention it, I haven't gone to sleep before 2am since I picked it up from Tyrion
eek.gif

Sorry about the lack of sleep. I hope you're enjoying it as much as I do.

Apr 4, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
Sorry about the lack of sleep. I hope you're enjoying it as much as I do.

It's an incredible amp, but it has also revealed that I am source limited. It sounds the best when I am listening through my MMF-5, but is less impressive when using my computer or dvd player. While this is to be expected, what I was surprised about was that I couldn't tell a huge difference (although a difference did exist) when comparing between my receiver's headphone out and the raptor, using the dvd player as source. In my mind I always thought headphones were the most important equipment component, with amps second and source third. Truth be told, the digital domain is not nearly as homogenous as I once thought. So, I think my best next step is to get a hearty dac to utilize with my computer and dvd player. 90% of my collection is in cd or lossless compression format, so I guess I should follow the rule of getting the most utilization out of my equipment. The raptor will hold a space in my equipment rack someday, but I will have to get a cheaper alternative in the near future. I'm leaning towards a CI Audio DAC, and I might get their matching headphone amp as well.

Anyway, I would still like to mooch the raptor a little longer, as I have a few new LPs arriving this week that I would really love to listen to through it
580smile.gif

Apr 4, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

It's an incredible amp, but it has also revealed that I am source limited. It sounds the best when I am listening through my MMF-5, but is less impressive when using my computer or dvd player. While this is to be expected, what I was surprised about was that I couldn't tell a huge difference (although a difference did exist) when comparing between my receiver's headphone out and the raptor, using the dvd player as source. In my mind I always thought headphones were the most important equipment component, with amps second and source third. Truth be told, the digital domain is not nearly as homogenous as I once thought. So, I think my best next step is to get a hearty dac to utilize with my computer and dvd player. 90% of my collection is in cd or lossless compression format, so I guess I should follow the rule of getting the most utilization out of my equipment. The raptor will hold a space in my equipment rack someday, but I will have to get a cheaper alternative in the near future. I'm leaning towards a CI Audio DAC, and I might get their matching headphone amp as well.

Anyway, I would still like to mooch the raptor a little longer, as I have a few new LPs arriving this week that I would really love to listen to through it
580smile.gif

Source first. Take whatever you were going to spend on an amp and buy a decent source. Rega Apollo, as an example. You should come and meet me at Let There Be Sound, bring some of your favorite cd's and hook the Raptor up to an Apollo and see what a difference a source can make with a good amp.

Take your time with the amp.

Apr 4, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #35 of 37
Quote:

Source first. Take whatever you were going to spend on an amp and buy a decent source. Rega Apollo, as an example. You should come and meet me at Let There Be Sound, bring some of your favorite cd's and hook the Raptor up to an Apollo and see what a difference a source can make with a good amp.

Take your time with the amp.

Ok, then I guess my thinking was correct. The dvd player I have is pretty sad. I got it as a gift last year because my old dvd player died. This one is a sony, but it's their most basic model. If I touch it while it is spinning a disc, I can feel the whole unit shaking, lol.

Will you be at the store this weekend? I really want to check the place out, and it would be convenient to give your raptor back then as well. Let me know,

-G

Apr 4, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #36 of 37
Quote:

Ok, then I guess my thinking was correct. The dvd player I have is pretty sad. I got it as a gift last year because my old dvd player died. This one is a sony, but it's their most basic model. If I touch it while it is spinning a disc, I can feel the whole unit shaking, lol.

Will you be at the store this weekend? I really want to check the place out, and it would be convenient to give your raptor back then as well. Let me know,

-G

PM coming your way. I think the biggest improvement in my system has come from source changes. If you have the right amp, you are able to recognize the improvements.

Apr 5, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #37 of 37
Quote:

PM coming your way. I think the biggest improvement in my system has come from source changes. If you have the right amp, you are able to recognize the improvements.

Once again you are correct. Source, speaker (or headphone), amplifer, and last IC/power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back