Incoming Astell & Kern New: A&futura and A&norma
May 24, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #91 of 351
I'm on vacation over the start of June, so I'll just wait and see what the reviews say. I'm also interested in seeing what the "new" UI looks like on video reviews, so I'll wait until I'm back before I sway myself one way or the other.

This might be the 4th DAP I buy this year. I'm an idiot.

May 24, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #92 of 351
I ordered the SE100. Looking for something to replace my DX200. While the DX200 sounds great, the UI is more than a little rough around the edges. There are also many times when track lists start/stop playing that sample rate changes cause pops and noises, sometimes unpleasantly loud (and sometimes on stock 44.1kHz track lists), depending on volume level. Would like something that sounds at least as good as the DX200, but with a much smoother user experience. Hoping the SE100 might be it. Been thinking for a few months about trying a Sony WM1A (1Z is more than I wanna spend for a portable player), but then the A&futura shows up. Looks like I'll be checking it out!

I was thinking the same thing, infact i have just pulled the trigger on a Sony WM1A, because i ridiculously good price £754 (inc 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee) and in order to compare back to back with DX200+Amp4, but Se100 also looks like very interesting, but theres very little info about its streaming abilities, which would potentially make a lot more attractive than the WM1a, when coupled with the quick charge/ relatively long battery life.

I've seen on MQA compatibility coming as firmware update mentioned in a Japanese write up, but as i say unless ive missed something i cant find anything on its network/ streaming capabilities anywhere else.

May 29, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #93 of 351
Pre-Order working now on the SE100. I stopped myself before I actually ordered it. Plan to wait a month for reports about the "Radically Different Sound" and in case there are any early production hiccups.
Anyone see any reviews?
Seems like some should be available given June 1 shipping.
I didn't see anything new in my cursory googling.

Mike

May 30, 2018 at 4:08 AM Post #96 of 351
I was thinking the same thing, infact i have just pulled the trigger on a Sony WM1A, because i ridiculously good price £754 (inc 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee) and in order to compare back to back with DX200+Amp4, but Se100 also looks like very interesting, but theres very little info about its streaming abilities, which would potentially make a lot more attractive than the WM1a, when coupled with the quick charge/ relatively long battery life.

I've seen on MQA compatibility coming as firmware update mentioned in a Japanese write up, but as i say unless ive missed something i cant find anything on its network/ streaming capabilities anywhere else.

I'd be interested in your thoughts with the wm1a vs dx200 amp4. In one of the relevant threads of course.

I do wonder how the se100 to the above offerings though.

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #97 of 351
Just been browsing the US A&K site... and spotted 2 things that annoyed me.

1) *Case is not included in the product package. Leather cases for this model will be available for purchase separately.
2) * Fast charger (9V/1.67A) and general Charger (5V/2A) are not included in the package.

Really? So $1700 and you don't throw in a case or a charger?

May 30, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #98 of 351

1) *Case is not included in the product package. Leather cases for this model will be available for purchase separately.
2) * Fast charger (9V/1.67A) and general Charger (5V/2A) are not included in the package.

None of the AK players ever came with a charger even for their top of line player. A USB cable is all you will ever get.

May 30, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #100 of 351
I'd be interested in your thoughts with the wm1a vs dx200 amp4. In one of the relevant threads of course.

I do wonder how the se100 to the above offerings though.

I've only had the WM1A for a short while, but as soon as i've got some decent listening time in i'll share my impressions.

I'll pm you as we're a bit off topic here :)

May 30, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #102 of 351

No charger is expected but no case is very disappointing for the price. If the AK300 can come with a case at half the price they have no excuse for not including one.

Especially if they're going to charge a similar $199 - $299 price to the SP1000 cases.

May 30, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #103 of 351
No charger is expected but no case is very disappointing for the price. If the AK300 can come with a case at half the price they have no excuse for not including one.

Especially if they're going to charge a similar $199 - $299 price to the SP1000 cases.
The US A&K site just added three different colored SE100 cases for $149.00 each.

May 30, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #104 of 351
The US A&K site just added three different colored SE100 cases for $149.00 each.
Which confirms they're just being greedy...
Honestly, this has become worse and worse since SP1000.
And I suppose that for the price, we'll just get a subpar equalizer and no deep sleep feature to avoid the lengthy ON/OFF sessions + systematic scan... as usual...

UI wise they're starting to lag heavily behind competition.

May 30, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #105 of 351
Which confirms they're just being greedy...
Honestly, this has become worse and worse since SP1000.
And I suppose that for the price, we'll just get a subpar equalizer and no deep sleep feature to avoid the lengthy ON/OFF sessions + systematic scan... as usual...

UI wise they're starting to lag heavily behind competition.
Was interested as I have ak70m2 and Kann. But imo this is blatant profiteering so f@@k em. Stick to my
OPUS #2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back