Inception: Film of the Year?
Jul 21, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #17 of 220
Yeah this movie made me think a lot about lucid dreaming. I think you can learn it but it takes a while. Essentially you want to realize that you're dreaming without waking up. Look for things that don't quite add up (try to think rationally) or try to think how you got into the dream in the first place. Once you get this down without waking up you can gradually start manipulating the dream to your liking. Of course this is a little oversimplified.
No idea though as I've always been able to do it. It's really quite cool but now I generally limit it to preventing nightmares and just let my dreams run their course though sometimes I do add a little something to them.

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #18 of 220
Has anyone watched Waking Life? We watched it in a class this past year, and after the movie (his first time, my second), he asked, "I wonder why he didn't just flip the lights on and off for her..." I thought it was funny.

Jul 21, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #19 of 220

Quote:
How does one "take up" lucid dreaming?  "oh, just going to go lay down and get lucid"....

in a way, yes. But in a more accurate way, it's turning out to be harder than before. I can't remember any of my dreams anymore, it's been so long.

Jul 22, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #20 of 220
I'd say it a heist film encapsulated in a thrilling sci-fi wrapper. And yes it's the cream of a very mediocre crop this year.

I did have some very weird dreams the night after I saw it though, and had a hard time coming back to my "reality" in the morning.

eek.gif

Jul 22, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #21 of 220
Just saw it on IMAX. Great action movie (I think noone called it an action movie yet? :p)! Wonder if it will be better than Terminator 2 (my favourite action movie so far) after multiple viewings....

And lucid dreaming rocks when it works/happens :p

Jul 22, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #22 of 220

Quote:
I'd say it a heist film encapsulated in a thrilling sci-fi wrapper.

I'm confused as to why some people mistake this film for a thinking-oriented action-fest rather than the action-oriented think-fest that it is... or in other words... being mistaken for a heist film encapsulated in a sci-fi wrapper rather than the other way around.

The main concept is everything related to dreaming, the mind and the psychology of an individual. The action-oriented plot is only used to illustrate this concept. I doubt that Nolan was thinking as basic as "I want to create an action/heist-film ala-James Bond," then proceeded to weave this whole elaborate and detailed premise of dream-sharing around it and stuff. Looking at the way the film was made, I think it's clear that Nolan started with the concept of dream-sharing... going inside one's mind to plant an idea.. built on that, and then constructed a simple action-oriented story to drive that idea.

Jul 22, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #23 of 220

Quote:
Don't see how dreams and subconscious means it's science fiction. It's more appropriately categorized as a real life fantasy film.

The movie and its themes are primarily driven by a scientific/technological innovation that makes it possible to manipulate people's dreams and infiltrate their subconscious, which is why Inception is sci-fi. IMO, calling something a fantasy film should involve being in a wholly different setting unattainable simply by a scientific and technological innovation.

Jul 22, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #24 of 220
Inception was one of the longer movies I've seen this year, but somehow it seemed like one of the shorter ones.  Great script, editing and visual effects.  Surprisingly good performance from DiCaprio, who's never been one of my favorite actors.  A very unique moviegoing experience.

Jul 22, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #25 of 220
Quote:
Inception was one of the longer movies I've seen this year, but somehow it seemed like one of the shorter ones.  Great script, editing and visual effects.  Surprisingly good performance from DiCaprio, who's never been one of my favorite actors.  A very unique moviegoing experience.

Yeah I agree. This one seemed like it was over too quickly. It was really very captivating.

Jul 22, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #26 of 220
Definitely a great movie, I just saw it yesterday. Dicaprio has been making some wise decisions when it comes to the the movies he chooses to be a part of.
When it comes to the discussion of lucid dreaming, I believe this movie challenges us to rethink about what is truly real. At the end of the movie the spinning top is left spinning when the credits come in which leaves us, as the audience, in position where we must decide whether it is a dream or reality. Alas, I must watch this movie again.
It is IMO on par with the previous Nolan movies (excluding the batman movies) in that they challenge us to really think about the plot and what it means to us.

Jul 22, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #27 of 220
BTW not that I don't love the batman movies, its just that they are quite different from Nolan's usual (or better yet, unusual) work

Jul 22, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #28 of 220

Quote:
Saw Inception yesterday. So good, I'm planning to see it again later this week at a better cinema (my local is beyond awful). I can't remember the last time I felt so satisfied as the credits roll. I don't want to talk too much about the plot, but if you love sci-fi and/or DiCaprio, you have to see this film!

redface.gif

EK

Absolutely brilliant filmmaking. Saw it this afternoon and for the first time in a long time at the theater (outside of 2008's "let the right one in") ... I very much wanted to clap at the end.

Amazing work.

Jul 22, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #29 of 220
I wish a FilmMaker or CINEMA provided a way to watch new releases on my S9... as ridiculous as it may sound, I would rather watch a film on a 3.3" OLED than a huge washed out projector. My brother watched this movie yesterday... he was awestruck, a great film.

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #30 of 220

Quote:
I'd say it a heist film encapsulated in a thrilling sci-fi wrapper. And yes it's the cream of a very mediocre crop this year.

Quote:
I'm confused as to why some people mistake this film for a thinking-oriented action-fest rather than the action-oriented think-fest that it is... or in other words... being mistaken for a heist film encapsulated in a sci-fi wrapper rather than the other way around.

The main concept is everything related to dreaming, the mind and the psychology of an individual. The action-oriented plot is only used to illustrate this concept. I doubt that Nolan was thinking as basic as "I want to create an action/heist-film ala-James Bond," then proceeded to weave this whole elaborate and detailed premise of dream-sharing around it and stuff. Looking at the way the film was made, I think it's clear that Nolan started with the concept of dream-sharing... going inside one's mind to plant an idea.. built on that, and then constructed a simple action-oriented story to drive that idea.

Okay, it's a heist film encapsulated in a metaphysical, pseudo-intellectual, and thrilling sci-fi wrapper.
Two thumbs up
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back