Inception: Film of the Year?
Jul 19, 2010 at 6:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 220

evilking

CAUTION: INCOMPLETE TRADES.
Saw Inception yesterday. So good, I'm planning to see it again later this week at a better cinema (my local is beyond awful). I can't remember the last time I felt so satisfied as the credits roll. I don't want to talk too much about the plot, but if you love sci-fi and/or DiCaprio, you have to see this film!

redface.gif

EK

Jul 19, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #2 of 220
Definitely the Film of the Year. I can't think of the slightest fault to consider this anything less than a 5-star film and I don't think Inception is "too intelligent" for its own good as some critics and other people say.

It was bloody brilliant as a sci-fi, an action flick, a psychological thriller, a romance and was filled with suspense up to the very last second. The ensemble was terrific and everything was just excellently written and executed such that you're left with a lot to think and talk about long after seeing it.

The film just came together perfectly and everything felt like it was done how it needed to be done.

I think it will be remembered 30 years from now in the same regard as how Blade Runner is considered today.

Jul 19, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #3 of 220
Saw it this weekend - loved it.

Will be interested to see/hear how it holds up to repeated viewings.

Jul 19, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 220
I'm planning to go again today with a friend who has not yet seen it. I've been recommending it to everyone. The complaints that the characters don't have depth are off base because that isn't the point of the movie at all. The point for me was to introduce this awesome and complex idea, and then illustrate the tenets of this idea with a great action walk-through. It was incredibly intelligent. 

Jul 19, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #6 of 220
Too bad it have not had its premiere over here yet!
But will definitely check it out as soon as it make it to the local cinemas.

Jul 19, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #7 of 220
I plan to go see it based on the strong reviews, but am not terribly optimistic.  I've seen Nolan's other movies and haven't liked any of them, even after giving a couple of them another viewing just to make sure I wasn't having a bad day.  Sort of like how I feel about the band Rush.  Despite many attempts over about 20 years, I've never been able to like them.  But I'll go see it anyway.  Maybe this one will be different.

Jul 19, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #8 of 220
Like it was really good, and was way better done than money movies, but to call it the film of the year is a little premature and to be honest if a movie with great character development and acting is released that would surely be film of the year. It was how a thriller should be done, but it was a thriller nothing more. 

Jul 19, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #10 of 220
Scott Tarlow:
Like it was really good, and was way better done than money movies, but to call it the film of the year is a little premature

Of course, and I've already seen two I thought better - Exit Through the Gift Shop and Winter's Bone.

Inception has merit however and was like a daylight shower in the middle of an incredibly crappy tent pole season, minus Toy Story 3. The Nolan film is ambitious, visually inventive, and full of great water cooler, pop culture moments.

Jul 20, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #11 of 220

Quote:
Like it was really good, and was way better done than money movies, but to call it the film of the year is a little premature and to be honest if a movie with great character development and acting is released that would surely be film of the year. It was how a thriller should be done, but it was a thriller nothing more. 

Actually, it was a sci-fi, an action, and a heist film aside from being a thriller... a psychological thriller at that. It might not have had fleshed-out characters aside from Cobb, but that's not because it was poorly written... it's just that it simply wasn't the point of the film. Regarding what the point actually was, Inception actually does a masterful job in both its narrative and execution.

If the "Film of the Year" label pertains to a personal standard, I don't think it's premature considering I already consider it to be amongst the best I've ever seen.

It might actually be the best I've ever seen. That's going to depend on repeated viewings though, but it's quite a possibility,.

Jul 20, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #12 of 220
Again, I didn't say it was poorly written, I said it was a thriller, and they have limitations. To call it great would have meant it changed your view on life. Those movies are great. How many hours did you ponder the ethics of capital punishment after watching Dead Man Walking? How many hours did you ponder this movie just to figure out the ending? Movies that are done masterfully go into our lives, just like great novels go into our lives. Thrillers have their limitations. 

Jul 20, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #13 of 220
You seem to be wrapped up in how Inception is a "just a thriller" when it's clearly more than that.

It isn't even primarily a thriller. It's primarily a sci-fi film which explores dreams and the subconscious.

Being that type of film, it leaves the viewers with lots of topics and tangents to discuss for years to come. To that effect, I'd say it could easily be considered as something that "goes into our lives."

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #14 of 220
Don't see how dreams and subconscious means it's science fiction. It's more appropriately categorized as a real life fantasy film.

I thought it was a good film and I don't doubt it will be one of the best of the year, but that doesn't say much for the state of cinema, currently.

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #15 of 220

Quote:
Being that type of film, it leaves the viewers with lots of topics and tangents to discuss for years to come. To that effect, I'd say it could easily be considered as something that "goes into our lives."

it definitely asks some deeps questions. It's inspired me at the least to take up lucid dreaming again (I did it a lot as a kid, so much fun).

I thought the same thing about character development after seeing it; I'm sure it had been thought of before. I came to the conclusion that to add any more to the movie would push it past the length where suspension of disbelief can be maintained. To give Inception (and Nolan) some credit, I think the movie walked the line between too complex/too simple pretty well (thought provoking but not too hard to pull you out of the film). Movies like Vantage Point are somewhat in the same category but too simple. Then there are movies that are just too damned complex. 

To me, the true best movie of the year is still Toy Story 3. As a whole, Toy Story was better than almost every recent "adult movie" I've seen in the last few years. It made me cry, something no movie has ever made me do. What a spectacular film. No offense to Inception of course. 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back