In this thread, you'll list he headphone you wish you had never bought and why
Aug 20, 2002 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

fjhuerta

I gave Jude an Orpheus and all I got was this lousy title.
For me, the AKG-501 and the B&O A8s.

I also bought a set of Sennheiser 490's, but I modded those with Sportapro drivers. So they weren't a total loss (at least I now own the most comfortable Sporta / Porta Pros available).

First, the AKGs. Although they do not sound nearly as bad as the A8s, they have nothing of relevance in them. They sound too light. They aren't that detailed. Not that comfy, either. Not that good looking. They need lots of watts to sound barely OK. The only nice thing about them is the soundstage, which is similar to the HD-580s one. Maybe I don't have good enough amplification (an X-Can V2 powers them), but I always wonder why I bought them.

The A8s by B&O are the epitome of what form over function means. They simply sound terrible. End of story. They are all about mids. No highs, no lows whatsoever. Their build quality is terrible. I can't believe I paid almost $200 for them. Oh well. At least they are pretty.

What about you?

Aug 20, 2002 at 3:54 AM Post #2 of 39
Senn MX500s. Because they got me started in all of this.
biggrin.gif

Aug 20, 2002 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 39
The portapros, ksc 50, and especially the plugs. With the money I spent on those phones I could have gotten something better like the Grado SR-80. I always buy alot of cheap stuff and realize I could have bought something that is actually good
frown.gif

Aug 20, 2002 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 39
i bought some earplugs by some brand that ive never heard of about 3 years ago i still have them. they are so much worse thatn any stock headphones ever. ive never heard any speakers or headphones sound even close to this bad ever.

Aug 20, 2002 at 4:39 AM Post #6 of 39
Well, I've regretted buying those various Sony closed headphones - MDR-V### series, which I sold to some losers on eBay. They embarrassed me with their muddy sound.

And I've somewhat regretted buying the Sony MDR-CD1700 'phones; I just didn't have good enough equipment to drive them properly. I sold those 'phones to redshifter, who had them modded for more detailed sound.

Aug 20, 2002 at 4:45 AM Post #7 of 39
Sennheiser MX400 - my stoopid ears fail to hold them securely unless my head is clamped in a stereotactic device
rolleyes.gif

Aug 20, 2002 at 5:35 AM Post #8 of 39
Sony EX70 - I shouldn't have to spend hours stuffing it, taping it, untaping it, taping it, unstuffing it, taping it, sticking pins in it, and experimenting on it to get something that doesn't sound like a frog.

Sennheiser 497 - Sounded good, looked incredibly ugly, but I should have just saved the money for my eventual upgrades.

Koss PortaPro - same reason as above, and I never use them for portable use (MX400 does that)

Sennheiser 280 - looks ugly, sounds good, but maybe I should have just went with some Beyers, but at the time I wasn't even looking into them

Aug 20, 2002 at 5:44 AM Post #9 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Senn MX500s. Because they got me started in all of this.
biggrin.gif

Same here. Spent the cash on them, only to get the ksc35s a month or so after, and the er4s a month after that
evil_smiley.gif

Just thought about your thread title, it's kinda funny. "In this thread, you WILL list the headphones..."
tongue.gif

Aug 20, 2002 at 5:45 AM Post #10 of 39
All those cheap ass coby, sony and yamaha headphones.

If i knew about the V6's when i was in high school i would've picked those up.

Aug 20, 2002 at 5:47 AM Post #11 of 39
And two more headphones that I've regretted buying: the Sennheiser MX500 and the RadioShack 33-1991. Their harsh, peaky sound causes some hearing fatigue. Even when I use open-type earbuds, I am now finding myself more into the cheap Sony 828's. The Senn MX500's and the RadioShacks just don't fit my ears properly, even without foam pads - so I get no bass response whatsoever (even with foamies) from any of the non-Sony earbuds.

Aug 20, 2002 at 5:48 AM Post #12 of 39
it didn't cost that much, but i regret buying the plug. it's probably the last koss phone i'll ever buy. i'm pretty happy with the rest of my collection. up next is an amp & source upgrade.

eagle driver,
i don't regret buying those cd1700 at all.
biggrin.gif
they sound fine from my cha47, the price was just about right, and when the next generation meta42 starts appearing i'll get a home version for them. i let julia (my wife) watch her "sex and the city" dvds with my cd1700 tonight while i listened to a new cd on speakers. when i was done and turned the ht speakers back on she didn't want to give up the headphones. after watching lord of the rings with them i understand.

Aug 20, 2002 at 5:59 AM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Taphil
Sony EX70 - I shouldn't have to spend hours stuffing it, taping it, untaping it, taping it, unstuffing it, taping it, sticking pins in it, and experimenting on it to get something that doesn't sound like a frog.

Seconded, with a revision: a frog's tin plated diarrehtic ass.

Aug 20, 2002 at 7:12 AM Post #14 of 39
The audio tehnica A55

Good cans, but I wish I would have skipped it and just bought the W100. I could have saved myself some cash.

Aug 20, 2002 at 9:59 AM Post #15 of 39
MX-400 & ER-6... if you've got the money, go straight to the ER-4s/4p.

The amount of grief trying to get them to sit still, seal properly is not worth it for me. Even when properly sealed I still didn't like the sound. That's the problem with hi-fi... once you've heard something better your won't settle for less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back