In the Market
Jun 12, 2012 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

musicbuff

100+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 570 headphones I bought new almost 10 years ago.  I love them, but after reading about the sound quality of so many newer cans I'd like to broaden my horizons.  I just bought an Asus Xonar Essence One DAC and it has blown me away transforming the music on my computer from night to a sunny day.  Since I spend so much time at my computer and not so much sitting in the "SWEET SPOT" appointed for listening to my speakers, I'd like something that keeps my music balanced no matter where I am.  I'm teetering between a pair of Sennheiser 600's and 650's.  What's the sound quality difference?  I'm all about comfort, a wide sound stage and distinct voice and instrument seperation and accurate placement on the soundstage.  I welcome all recommendations and the reasoning behind them.

Jun 12, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 11
An HD600 leans more towards neutral, and is good for many things, preferably non-bass heavy. (Haven't heard yet though)
HD650 is a darker version with added bass. It is a hit-and-miss, but I enjoy my friends pair 

Jun 12, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #3 of 11
The HD650 has a more full body/relaxed sound with more low end presence. The HD600 has a more balanced sound which make it more forward sounding. The HD650 has more depth to the soundstage and maybe a little more open sounding but this may all depend on your amp and source. Both are equally comfortable but the clamping can be a little too tight at first until they break in. I think the HD600 is better if your listening to a wide range of genres because it's a little quicker and more neutral sounding. I don't think you can go wrong with either and the difference isn't night and day it just depends on if you want a low end emphasis or more balance/neutral sound. Also worth checking out is the HD598. I never listened to it before but some people really enjoy it and is easier to drive. Here are a few links to check out also.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/597405/comparing-the-hd600-vs-hd650
http://www.headfonia.com/the-sennheiser-trio-hd580-hd600-hd650/
http://www.head-fi.org/t/268216/hd-600-vs-hd-650

Jun 12, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 11
The bass on the HD600 is underrated because it's often overshadowed by the HD650's bass heavy signature. I find the bass on the HD600 to dig deep when it needs to while offering good speed and texture. I would never call them bass light. They are very good and very balanced. The present the bass as it is recorded.

Jun 12, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #5 of 11
The bass on the HD600 is underrated because it's often overshadowed by the HD650's bass heavy signature. I find the bass on the HD600 to dig deep when it needs to while offering good speed and texture. I would never call them bass light. They are very good and very balanced. The present the bass as it is recorded.

I agree. I hope I didn't make it sound like the 600 is lacking in bass because it definitely is not.

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #7 of 11
Thanks alot.  The references were very helpful.  After reading Headfonia's reviews I'm leaning towards the 650's.  I listen to a lot of bass heavy music; Contemporary Christian, R & B, rock, jazz, Celtic, new age, classical, etc. & I want to enjoy every spectrum from the highs to lows (that's why I bought a Hsu subwoofer).  There's just one thing I'm unsure of.  Does "dark" mean the music hovers more around mid bass and bass versus highs and mids?  Or does it mean the cans handle the bass better.  I like my bass but I want it accurate, not boomy.  The mid's are also very important to me.  I have music with lots of strings and horns (movie soundtracks, etc.) & I don't want my mids diminished.  If I run the 650's through my Asus Xonar Essence One Dac will it balance things?  Headfonia said the 600's aren't worth amping & is more 2 dimensional.  The descriptions about the 650's that grabbed me were, more 3 dimensional, better scalability and musicality.  That sounds like what I'm looking for.  Thanks for all the replies.

Jun 13, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #8 of 11
I think it's described as "dark" because the emphasis is on the low end. It handles bass very well and is never boomy but can be a little slow sounding on faster music. On the other hand the low end emphasis gives the music a nice weight and fullness. I almost always use the 650 when listening to movie soundtracks because of this and most rock sound great with them too. I'm not familiar with your amp so you may want to do some research on how well they work together.

Jun 13, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #9 of 11
I'd agree with Hodgjy, don't underestimate the bass in the 600's. I was worried about that myself when I first picked up my pair, but I've found that they have no issues handling bass. That being said, if you're listening to more bass heavy music, then the 650's might be a better idea for you. Either way you can't go wrong though. 

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
Headfonia said the 600's aren't worth amping

I haven't read the review in a while but I don't think Mike said this. I believe he said the 600 wasn't worth running in a balanced setup.
Quote:
I'd agree with Hodgjy, don't underestimate the bass in the 600's. I was worried about that myself when I first picked up my pair, but I've found that they have no issues handling bass. That being said, if you're listening to more bass heavy music, then the 650's might be a better idea for you. Either way you can't go wrong though. 

+1  The bass is about perfect on the 600 for me.

Jun 14, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #11 of 11
Sorry about the misquote.  You're right.  He said all 3 were worth hooking up to a good amp.  I can't wait to plug my 650's into my Asus Xonar Essence One DAC and experience the 3 dimensional soundstage Mike talks about.  I might just get to the point where I prefer my Senn's over my speakers because of the soundstage. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back