In the market for cheap headphones.
Oct 21, 2008 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Benaiir

1000+ Head-Fier
Alright, I'm 13 years old and already an amateur audiophile(And when I say amateur, I mean it in the harshest sense) and I want to buy cheap headphones.

So, today I went to Guitar Center to check out what they have on display.
What I was really interested in was the AKG 99's but they're $80 (Maybe 50 on ebay) and I'm broke after buying a 160GB iPod which is coming in the mail....

I also was checking out the K77's and the reviews seemed impressive, but I'm not sure what a difference they are to the 99's.

So, money is a bit of an issue, but don't be intimidated to pull over the hell-expensive headphones, because I could check em' out on ebay..

Main listening genres: R&B, Alternative Rock, Rock, Metal, and Rap.

**Bass is important!

I'm not sure if this is the place to do this, but also if you're selling your own pair, feel free to PM me, just don't try to sell them for the Retail price.

Oct 21, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 48
for a beginner and you want cheap theres nothing that can beat a pair of Koss KSC-75's. 13 bucks on amazon. Sounds great and its also what I started with. they are clips so youll have to bend them to get them to fit just right.

If you rather have in ear headphones the JVC marshmallows (FX33/34) or air cushions (FX66) are also very good. Should run you less than 20 bucks.

The above headphones are great value and have pretty good bass. I also listen to a lot of hip hop/rap.

Hope this helps.

Oct 21, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for a beginner and you want cheap theres nothing that can beat a pair of Koss KSC-75's. 13 bucks on amazon. Sounds great and its also what I started with. they are clips so youll have to bend them to get them to fit just right.

If you rather have in ear headphones the JVC marshmallows (FX33/34) or air cushions (FX66) are also very good. Should run you less than 20 bucks.

The above headphones are great value and have pretty good bass. I also listen to a lot of hip hop/rap.

Hope this helps.

I already own (JBL 210) earbuds, which are mind blowing.

I just want something comfy, like Bose, except not such a hefty price-tag, and I'd prefer to stay away from Koss. Thanks though!

Oct 21, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 48
comfy eh? If you do a quick search for comfort, the Denon AH1000 comes up rather often.

BTW when you say cheap what price range are you lookin at? Cause cheap on here is rather subjective. A good deal can be considered cheap.

Oct 21, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #5 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
comfy eh? If you do a quick search for comfort, the Denon AH1000 comes up rather often.

BTW when you say cheap what price range are you lookin at? Cause cheap on here is rather subjective. A good deal can be considered cheap.

Cheap is about 40. My current way of making money is sometimes a dollar a day off some kid who never does his homework, Lol. Speaking of which, I gotta study for a bit
angry_face.gif

I've searched up the Denons and they're like 100 cheapest.

Oct 21, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #8 of 48
$40...Bass...

I'll second the Koss KSC75s, esp. if you can get it for less than $20. I don't find them bass-weak, but some do.
I'll veto the lower end Sennheisers, actually. Bass is not their strong point. At least it's not the 201's or the 212's. Pretty well known fact here.
You might be able to get Koss PortaPros or Senn. PX100s for sub-$40. Again, I don't recall bass-weakness here, but neither are they bass-heavy.
A little above $40 (a little abot $50 even, actually...), check out AKG K414P. Closed cans for bass-heads.

Oct 21, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #9 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$40...Bass...

I'll second the Koss KSC75s, esp. if you can get it for less than $20. I don't find them bass-weak, but some do.
I'll veto the lower end Sennheisers, actually. Bass is not their strong point. At least it's not the 201's or the 212's. Pretty well known fact here.
You might be able to get Koss PortaPros or Senn. PX100s for sub-$40. Again, I don't recall bass-weakness here, but neither are they bass-heavy.
A little above $40 (a little abot $50 even, actually...), check out AKG K414P. Closed cans for bass-heads.

Hmm... Yeah, the guy at Guitar Center was nice enough to let me open the box of the Senns and an AKG.

Love the AKG 99.

Any opinions on the Grado 60/80?

Oct 22, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #11 of 48
Go cut some lawns for money and then come back when you have about $200.00. Or be smart and buy the Koss KSC75 for less than $15.00 as already mentioned. They don't have loads of bass though and you won't find a headphone that is not full size that does but they sound good. Sennheiser PCX100 has more bass but cost more and IMO the bass is a bit muddy too.

Oct 22, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #12 of 48
I'm 15, and i have AD700s and am considering ATH-ES7 or HFI-580...maybe DT770s...for outdoor/closed usage..

Yeah, just go and get the Koss...do some research (and some mowing), and come back and get some entry audiophile headphones when your ears deserve better ones.

Oct 22, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #13 of 48
I assume these are for use on an iPod so now we get into the issue of amplification. To get good bass on an iPOd I think you would ned to go IEM but they would cost you $200.00+ for good ones too. Klipsch have new IEMs available that supposedly have very good bass but they are like $300.00+ for the top model. Personally, I don't like sticking little speakers inside my ear canal so would never buy them. You have to have a good seal to get good bass on IEM and people sometimes have issues getting a good seal because of different ear canal shapes. JVC Marshamllow are supposed to be decent IEM that are cheap. Twenty bucks or so.

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #14 of 48
The JBL 410 (JBL410) Reference sells for about $20 and is basically the same as the AKG K414P. I recommend it for good and fun bass after modding. I preferred mine over the KSC75 and PX100 in a direct comparison, amped and unamped. I also used to own the HD555 and SR80 and would not trade my modded JBL for either. A couple more inexpensive options, a new AKG K81DJ for around $60 shipped, and a new JVC RX900 for $57 shipped. If spending $80 shipped, I suggest a new Denon D1001.

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #15 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go cut some lawns for money and then come back when you have about $200.00. Or be smart and buy the Koss KSC75 for less than $15.00 as already mentioned. They don't have loads of bass though and you won't find a headphone that is not full size that does but they sound good. Sennheiser PCX100 has more bass but cost more and IMO the bass is a bit muddy too.

Cutting lawns in 30 degrees, lol. Anyways, I'm loaning money from my parents so, moneys not like the killer (Even though I'll have to pay at least half of it back....)

I really want closed headphones, because my buds do the work of everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back