In support of the GSP Solo Headphone Amp
post-746853
Post #1 of 5

Yeldarb

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I have written and re-written this post a number of times. I have something to say, and I am not sure of the best way to say it. It is about how I feel about a couple of things that have happened on the forum, and about how I think an injustice has taken place.

I believe that you can tell from reading the posts of an individual, something about how much thought they put into what they write, as well as the depth of their experience in the world of HeadFi. I respect the views of contributors who can give a valid basis for their comments. For this reason there are some contributors whose posts I will read, and will accept, even if I am not in agreement with their point of view. There are others whose views I look forward to reading as I think they have something valid to say. The benefit of a forum such as ours is that all can contribute. The challenge is that under the guise of an avatar, comments can be posted that probably wouldn’t be said face to face. Indeed if a little forethought were exercised, perhaps some posts would not have been made in the first place. However, such is the nature of discussion forums.

In recent months Pink Floyd has posted a number of threads relating to the Solo headamp. In one he relates his experience of the amp, and its journey through a number of modifications, to the variant that will be generally available soon. In another he goes under the bonnet and in a third he is celebrating the fact that one manufacturer has chosen the product of another manufacturer to showcase their equipment.

However, over the course of numerous posts by various contributors, the threads appear to have been mugged and judiciously kicked in the nuts. The original messages have been lost and all that remains is a slightly uneasy feeling that something not very nice has just taken place. I am not saying that there has been any malice of forethought in the posts, but I do feel that the Solo has been given a raw deal and an injustice may have been done to both it and the manufacturer. Currently anyone researching the Solo could not fail to be concerned by the current threads. Certainly I would have had second thoughts - and have missed out on an amp that I really like - if my search for an amp had taken place right now.

I am sure that when this forum was launched, it was by enthusiasts who reviewed all equipment on its merits, and following careful evaluation, made considered comment. Has this approach been lost or is this particular amp too insignificant to merit better treatment by the current membership? I would really like to think that this is not the case. I am sure that we would all like our forum to continue to be a source of quality evaluations of HeadFi equipment and allow newcomers and upgraders alike access to well-considered reviews.

There is a solution to this. I know that the full content of the review of the Solo is on Pink Floyd’s website (Rock Grotto). I would like to see a copy of his review added to the featured full amplification reviews in our forum. (I am sure Pink Floyd would give his permission for this inclusion). This would allow readers to view the unsullied original version and not be put off the amp by the content and direction of the threads. This I feel would go some way toward resolving the injustice done to this amp.

post-746924
Post #2 of 5

kedu

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
I totally agree. Post after post has been hijacked by people more obsessed with capacitors, resistors and pots etc. and not the quality of musical reproduction or enjoyment.

The thing that really irritates me is the god-like status any of the DIY amps achieve. Think META, Pimeta, PPA blah blah - you will never hear a bad word said against these and if you do it will only be in comparison with something much more expensive, or alternatively a "bass boost" or "cap upgrade" or "diamond buffer" or get the "maxed-out "version and this will solve the problem. Commercial amps are viewed with the utmost suspicion and the only thing the manufacturer had in mind when designing the amp was profit. Any part where a more expensive part could have filled its place is again viewed with suspicion and is taken as a corner cut.

I would really like to hear the Solo as it sounds like a great amp, and the most important thing is Graham Slee seems to use his ears in the design process.

post-748154
Post #3 of 5

Nietzsche

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I also agree.

I bought the Solo III on line without many considerations; I didn't know about HEADFI then!
I was rather happy with the Solo III: it sounded better compared to my pre-amp and my Reussenzehn Harmony II tube head-amp.

Then I found (via Google) Pinkie's comments ("under the bonnet") and was very amused/surprised about the mass-attack that followed.
After a while it became clear that only very few ever heard the Solo (apart from Pinkfloyd and Sclamb in the beginning).

Because Pinkfloyd seemed bona fide, had an impressive CV (to me at least) and at least gave the impression to know what he's talking about (I know: it's not hard to impress a dummy like me), I read about the following cooperation between Mike (PF) and Graham.

As a result I have my SOLO III converted (by Graham) to the latest SOLO (with changed OPA - NB: the comments on Rock Grotto are about the previous version!).

Because I'm a musician (I play electric and jazz guitar since 1977) and not very technical skilled, I can not judge an amp on its technical merits (who cares about that anyway? My best sounding guitar amp is a 1962 Fender Princeton: very slow tuberectifier, unmatched splitter, nonadjustable bias, easyclippin' 6V6 tubes, so what?).
But I have the pretention to have good ears and experience with tube guitar amps (a completely different world, I admit. Guitar amplification is all about coloured sound, compression, distortion, etc. All taboo in hifi for obvious reasons).

The only way to compare amps is just to compare them (A/B).

So I invited all headfiers to organise a meeting to see how the Solo sounds next to other amps.
Only 00940 answered (see other thread). and was immediately prepared to send his PIMETA (see his description on other thread) to me.

Yesterday I could listen for 2 hours to the Solo and the Pimeta (same source, same interconnects, same headphones).

Immediately was clear to me that the Solo plays SEVERAL DIVISIONS HIGHER ON THE SCALE.

I will listen for another week to music and take notes.
It would be very nice to compare the Pimeta and Solo also to Prehead, RKV, etc. (still nobody ?)
Then I will post my humble comparative to this forum.

Please shoot me then. I really don't care (anymore).

TRUST YOUR EARS (at least I do).

Nietzsche

post-748175
Post #4 of 5

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally posted by Nietzsche
[...]II will listen for another week to music and take notes.
[...]Then I will post my humble comparative to this forum.[...]

Take your time, i don't really need this amp anytime soon (it will go for sale as soon as I get it back). I'm glad you can so calm down a debate that grew from heated to too heated. I sent you the amp for this, not to shoot at you

We need to find a better amp to send you now

post-748385
Post #5 of 5

PinkFloyd

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally posted by Nietzsche
I also agree.

I bought the Solo III on line without many considerations; I didn't know about HEADFI then!
I was rather happy with the Solo III: it sounded better compared to my pre-amp and my Reussenzehn Harmony II tube head-amp.

Then I found (via Google) Pinkie's comments ("under the bonnet") and was very amused/surprised about the mass-attack that followed.
After a while it became clear that only very few ever heard the Solo (apart from Pinkfloyd and Sclamb in the beginning).

Because Pinkfloyd seemed bona fide, had a impressive CV (to me at least) and at least gave the impression to know what he's talking about, I read about the following cooperation between Mike (PF) and Graham.

As a result I have my SOLO III converted (by Graham) to the latest SOLO (with changed OPA - Take care: the comments on Rock Grotto are about the previous version!).

Because I'm a musician (I play electric and jazz guitar since 1977) and not very technical skilled, I can not judge an amp on its technical merits (who cares about that anyway?).
But I have the pretention to have good ears and experience with tube guitar amps.
The only way to compare amps is just to compare them (A/B).

So I invited all headfiers to organise a meeting to see how the Solo sounds next to other amps.
Only 00940 answered (see other thread). and was immediately prepared to send his PIMETA (see his description on other thread) to me.

Yesterday I could listen for 2 hours to the Solo and the Pimeta (same source, same interconnects, same headphones).

Immediately was clear to me that the Solo plays SEVERAL DIVISIONS HIGHER ON THE SCALE.

I will listen for another week to music and take notes.
It would be very nice to compare the Pimeta and Solo also to Prehead, RKV, etc. (still nobody ?)
Then I will post my humble comparative to this forum.

TRUST YOUR EARS (at least I do).

Nietzsche

How on earth can the SOLO sound heaps better than a Pimeta Jan??? My god the Solo doesn't have black gates or an alps pot and it's made in the UK..... it can't possibly compete with a Pimeta... impossible you are dreaming.. slap yourself and wake up

Whoops.... sorry but this slagging something off without knowing what the hell you're talking about syndrome is catching

Nice to hear your findings Jan, I haven't heard a Pimeta so I can't comment but I have heard a MINT from the same family and the Solo made it sound like a transistor radio in comparison, it totally blew it away with respect to timing, transparancy, clarity (bags of clarity) soundstage...... it trounced it across the board and then some.

Glad to learn of your findings.

Mike.

PS: I don't "seem" Bona Fide, I am Bona fide of that you can be very sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)