In search of some good XLR interconnects
Oct 31, 2009 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

nae45ro

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm in the need of 2 very good pairs of XLR interconnects for balanced connection CD to preamp and preamp to amp. The system would be :

Source : EMM Labs CDSAse
Preamp : Pass Labs XP-10
Amp : Pass Labs X250.5

The maximum amount of money I'd pay for each set would be 1000$/pair but I would be very happy if I could find synergy betwen my components with 500$/pair ones (the price also includes buying second hand ones) . Unfortunately, I can't say I have many options of hearing high-end interconnects here so I have to rely on people who have listened gear form Pass and Emm with different cables !

Oct 31, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #3 of 21
I am not happy at all to spend thousand of dollars on cables when I could use them to buy a better source or amp. What's also for sure, I would preffer to acoustically treat my room with the money left as I'm sure this would be a dramatic improvement ! Still, I haven't quite listened to many expensive cables and I see people's opinions vary widely from "all cabels sound the same" to "this cable made a world of a difference, it was like upgrading the source/amp". That's why I'm trying to find out the opinion of peoples with experience as I don't trust the tests I see in different magazines !

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #5 of 21
If I had an Emm Labs I would try their cables: EMM Cables - Meitner Design - High Performance Audio Cables

Maybe check this thread and PM the Pass & Emm owners:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f113/l...tinued-377623/

Quote:

Originally Posted by nae45ro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

I'm in the need of 2 very good pairs of XLR interconnects for balanced connection CD to preamp and preamp to amp. The system would be :

Source : EMM Labs CDSAse
Preamp : Pass Labs XP-10
Amp : Pass Labs X250.5

The maximum amount of money I'd pay for each set would be 1000$/pair but I would be very happy if I could find synergy betwen my components with 500$/pair ones (the price also includes buying second hand ones) . Unfortunately, I can't say I have many options of hearing high-end interconnects here so I have to rely on people who have listened gear form Pass and Emm with different cables !

Nov 1, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #6 of 21
I have a pair of Van Den Hul The Thunderline 1.5m balanced cables for sale. Van Den Hul don't advertise, they just make high-quality cable, though are probably more famous for their cartridges. PM me if interested. I'm looking for about $400 inc. EMS shipping and Paypal.

Edit: Didn't actually realise this wasn't a Wanted to Buy, but what the hell.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mofonyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could always go to your local audio shop and ask for a demo before you purchase. They would usually let you test it out on your system before you commit.

Interesting..didn't know ED is also making cables. Will take them into consideration

Mofonyx, it's more difficult than you might think to take a cable at your place here
biggrin.gif
. In the meantime, I will have someone who make cables here do 2 XLRs for me. This guy has some very expensive cables and equipment in his house and he always compares the cables made by himself and theexpensive ones !

Currawong, I will not purchase any cable earlier than beginning of next year as I still have to get the Player and amp first
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #8 of 21
Nov 4, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #13 of 21
You have a great source. I would highly recommend that you post your question on Audiogon's forum, as I see the EMM labs gear for sale there frequently. That means a lot of people there have used that source and know what ICs sound best with it.

That said, I highly recommend Gabriel Gold Revelation XLRs. (I use Gabriel Gold ICs for both my stereo and headphone system.) The seller/maker goes by the username "sts" on Audiogon. He often has demo pairs of his ICs that he sells for $500-600. The retail price is $1,500. Gabriel Gold cables have a very big following/fan base on Audiogon. This means that (1) a lot of people who have heard a lot of ICs really like these cables and (2) if you don't like them you will be able to sell them for pretty much the same price you paid for them. That is not going to be at all the case if you buy retail. In the current climate, expect to take at least a 50% hit if you buy ICs retail and then sell them used.

Mar 21, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #14 of 21
Try Goertz Tourmaline, should be able to find some on audiogon or craigslist (national search with searchtempest.com or similar service).  The company designs/tests/manufactures its cable from an electrical engineering perspective and not the usual "smoke & mirrors" profit mongering, which encompasses at least 90% of the audiophile industry.

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #15 of 21
I sgree with the suggestion above that Audiogon forum or audio asylum are better places to look for cable discussions or to post cable questions, particularly given your equipment. Cable co is a good way to try things. Also, I think buying used is a good way to get value and you usually can sell without too much of a loss if you want to try something new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back