In search of my next DAP
Sep 24, 2018 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Mn.dn

New Head-Fier
Hi all!

As the title suggests, i’m looking for help in choosing a new player.

I used to own an iPod classic and was quite happy with it. After my iPod died, i used a FiiO X1 (first gen.) and a Sony NW-A35.

The X1 was too slow entering folders with a lot of files and the scrolling wheel made navigating long playlists quite painful (also, battery life and display not good). I really want to like the Sony, but it take ages to start up, is not at all easy to sync (I use for my laptop Music Bee) and seems to support only playlists with max 999 songs.

Now I would like your help in order to find my future player. My budget is definitely below 300€/$, but would really appreciate something below 200€. The features that I’m looking for are:

· Quick to start up and navigate the library, even with a lot of data (big playlists, etc.)

· Easy to use and navigate (search option not necessary, if there is a way to scroll faster [jump to a letter] in a long list)

· Ability to support playlists well over 999 songs

· At least some basic physical buttons (in order to use it without looking)

· SD/micro SD slot

· Reasonably easy to sync

· Decent battery life (I really liked the sony for this)

· Decent display (I really liked the sony for this as well)

It will mainly be used for Mp3s.

That is all comes to my mind at the moment.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Sep 24, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #2 of 3
For this kind of budget, it's tempting just to recommend a smartphone. Lower budget DAPs don't tend to have great processors and I've been frustrated in the past by bad UI and slow UI responses.

A smartphone will give you a good screen, good UI and good speed. Sound quality will be good enough for MP3s. You'll get volume buttons, but not pause/play/skip, so there's a tradeoff there.

Sep 24, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks a lot for the feedback. It's much appreciated!

I was also considering this option, leaving it as a last resort, but it makes sense.

Now i'll look for a small enough android phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back