In search of color
Mar 24, 2006 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Kassem

500+ Head-Fier
My first pair of headphones were Grado SR-60s. I loved them.. and of course they werent enough. The only thing I did not like about them was how fatiguing they were. They also hurt my ears after extended use. I picked up some HD600's and yes.. I like them. I basically plan on staying with headphones w/ a higher impedance. I think I am either going to stay with the HD600's or go for some DT880's.

I have a Marantz 1060, and the sound is good however.. obviously having it for a few months has lead me to beleive that I need more..
frown.gif

I'm looking for:

I want to try an amplifier that has lots of color and beauty. I want lush, full sound. I want a quiet background!!!!! It really bothers me to hear any hiss or fuzz in the background (lol sig). I want the amplifier to be really musical. I do not care about neutrality, naturality, etc. I want to be more involved in the music.

It doesnt necessarily have to be polite.. however it is a necessity to be unfatiguing. I like long listening sessions.. and when I am not listening to music I am playing video games.

Right now my source will stay as the modded Emu 0404. Later when I get some more 'head-fi funds', as I like to call it, I will get a new source. It will probably be an external DAC for my computer, most likely the MicroDAC unless something new is out when the time comes around.

Help appretiated

PS - My budget isn't incredibly high. I can't imagine, at this time, spending over 300$. I also only buy used gear.

Mar 25, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #3 of 7
I'd suggest a used PPA. They can be found for insanely cheap these days, and can be easily tuned to your taste via an opamp swap. One of the most versatile amps ever IMO.

Mar 25, 2006 at 6:57 AM Post #4 of 7
Sounds to me like you're really looking for a tube amp. You'll definitely get the warmth and coloration you're looking for. Noise floor, etc., would depend on the quality and tubes used.

The most reasonable commercial tube amps that come to mind are the Eddie Current EC-01, the Bottlehead S.E.X. and the various Little Dot models. I'm sure others here can recommend many more.

Mar 25, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #5 of 7
What do you think about a millet?

K.. definitely looking into tube amps now.

Mar 25, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 7
Kassem- yes, a Millett Hybrid would be great!

Getting one is a different matter. Used ones come up here now and then, but they never seem to last more than 12-24 hours before someone buys them.

Rockhopper was building them, but I recently saw they stopped because they were out of PCBs.

And the group buy at Headwize just ended.

I think you can still get a board at: http://www.diycable.com for $25, though. Pete Millett says that the total cost should be around $100, so that's not such a bad deal if you're willing to warm up a soldering iron. If you haven't done DIY, think about it. I've built most of my equipment and have really enjoyed it.

Mar 26, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #7 of 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back