In search of a knife, please help!
Jun 17, 2004 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

sleepkyng

Headphoneus Supremus
I am currently working out in southern and eastern oregon, collecting data samples of the insect population on clear cut areas.
Climbing up those steep cliffs and through all that slash ain't no fun!

anyways, i realized that my swiss army just isn't cuttin it for most of the day. Don't get me wrong, it is a very nice knife, sharp and super handy.

but what i want is a good assisted opening, reliable, sharp, durable, basically maintance free knife.

I was thinking of the Kershaw Onion Scallion

max price is around 50.
any suggestions?

Jun 17, 2004 at 4:38 PM Post #2 of 31
mate
how are you?
some of the spyderco knives are excellent for what you propose to do.
Other than that, if you can get one get a KHUKRI (Gurkhas use 'em) or a PARANG (Malaysian knife), there is nothing that comes close to those 2.

just my suggestion
If you get a Khukri make sure u test the handle and check its weight.
A good Khukri has the weight closer to the handle not the middle of the blade.

Jun 17, 2004 at 5:10 PM Post #5 of 31
I LOVE my Spyderco. awesome quality in that price range, they will sharpen it for free for life of the knife, and good ergonomics.

Benchmade are great too, but pricey.

check EBAY, they have some of the best prices that I've seen. I got my Spyderco for about $30 shipped (retail like 75?)

if i can dig up more info, i'll let you know

Jun 17, 2004 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 31
i had a kershaw chive onion... cool knife but the darn thing always came out loose on me and wasnt very sharp... i sent it in for kershaw for warranty and they sent me a new one that was tack-sharp and rock-solid

unfortunately i lost it soon after so cant comment on long-life durability
frown.gif

'twas cool as beans, though... speed-assist opening ROCKS

Jun 17, 2004 at 6:29 PM Post #8 of 31
Avoid the Kershaw, the handle is cheap and flexes, and the steel does not hold it's edge very well. Go for a Spyderco Endura, specifically the one with VG-10 steel blade. Unless the Endura is to big, then go for the Delica w/ VG-10 steel instead. I've had many, many knives in my life, and Spyderco really hits the sweetspot w/these 2 knives, combining great steel (holds it's edge like crazy), good balance, great fit in the hand, and almost perfectly shaped blade for daily tasks, and one handed opening capabilities. And of course they are priced very nicely too.

Jun 17, 2004 at 7:00 PM Post #9 of 31
I had the kershaw scallion and agree. It was not very sharp and it openned in my pocket once. I loved the slim profile.
If I had to buy one or two knives now, it would be the dual action Microtech USSOCOM or a MOD CQD auto.
The Emerson Commander combo edge is also a very nice knife.

Jun 17, 2004 at 7:23 PM Post #10 of 31
I've had the same Spyderco in my pocket daily for 10+ years and used (and abused) it thousands of times. Has held up extremely well and may very well last another 10+ years. One of the best purchases, for amount of use I've gotten, that I've made.
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2004 at 8:36 PM Post #11 of 31
How far north in eastern Oregon are you working?

Oh wait, this about knives.

Uh, I don't know much about knives. I have a Benchmade,and I recently found a Spyderco. I like my Benchmade better, it's a one hand open and close. I am not familiar with assisted open.

Jun 17, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #12 of 31
The most important question is "what are you cutting?"

If it's mostly small soft things then the Kershaw Scallion will do just fine. It won't hold an edge forever like the fancy super-steels but it has a nice thin blade that slices through things really well. It's also not the easiest blade to sharpen because of the way it curves, but with some practice & the right tools it's not too bad.

If you need to cut bigger, harder things then you'll need a bigger knife. The Spyderco's mentioned are good choices, but I prefer the Benchmade Griptilian since they fit my hand better and I'm more comfortable with the locking mechanism. If you can, find a store in your area that carries the knives and try them all out.

Now if you can double your budget (actually about 2.5X) you can get a Benchmade 710 in M2 tool steel, which just happens to be my fave knife.

Jun 18, 2004 at 3:17 AM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Now if you can double your budget (actually about 2.5X) you can get a Benchmade 710 in M2 tool steel, which just happens to be my fave knife.

I just bought one of those last week and I love it. I don't think I can buy another non-axis lock knife again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back