in search of a dynaudio sound
Mar 15, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 8
Need more information -- what is it about Dynaudios that you like?

Yeah, I wish they would make headphones.

Mar 15, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 8
Get some AKG K501's. From my impression with them, they are very smooth, though if you are a basshead, they may not be in your alley.

Mar 15, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
HD650's. They are most like the Dynaudio speakers I've heard, in that they are well-detailed, provide a smooth and non-harsh/fatiguing sound, and have a somewhat warm/dark sound.

All my dynaudio speakers I had/have sound dead on to the hd600/650

650 if you love the low bass of the dyna's and the backoff sound! 600's if you like the monitor/bookshelf sound.

this is the closest to DA youll get !

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #6 of 8
Speakers to headphones can be a hard transition. Dynaudios are a very laid back speaker so logically look for a headphone that has a laid back sound. But firstly and most importantly look for sound stage. Coming from speakers headphones will sound very compress especially in the vocals. So you need a headphone that has good sound-stage (related to imaging) and is laid back. The headphone that meets both of these criteria IMA is the Sennheiser 650. It is smooth and laid back with lots of sound stage and the price is good for what you get. You will need an amp though. Buy from Headphone.com or somewhere where you get a 30 day money back guarantee.

Mar 16, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #7 of 8
Hey there. I tried out several speaker brands (B&W, Polk, etc), and the Dynaudio 52 bookshelves definitely sounded neutral and more forward than the other sets of speakers, which were darker and more laid back. I would say that the k701 is closer to the dyn sound than the senns. The HD650 is way too dark for the dyn sound to me, but the HD600 is closer.

Mar 16, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #8 of 8
I've owned 3 pairs of Dynaudio speakers, Special 25s, Contour 1.3SE and the Contour 2.8 (with the very nice Esotar tweeter). I liked and appreciated them all, even though I've moved on from them. At one time I owned them all at the same time, although the 1.3SEs were the first to go.
In some ways, their type of sound simply isn't like any pair of headphones because of the very different sort of sound staging you get from speakers. A good pair of two way stand mounts have such good sound staging it can be spooky, something headphones can't match - but of course they have their own special skills.
But otherwise if I had to pick, I would agree, of the headphones I've listened to I'd liken them to HD 650s. They have that same sort of sound signature that makes them so easy to listen to for extended periods of time, and one other common characteristic - you want to keep turn the volume up until they hit that "come alive" level at which point they are still easy to listen to for extended periods of time. Lesser equipment gets harsh or bright or fatiguing - not initially but after a while. In the speaker world I experienced this with the B&W Nautilus line, and there are many bright and fatiguing headphones, especially if you are sensitive to ragged treble and are bothered by harshness in the upper registers. I enjoyed the bass on all the Dyns, the Special 25s are just phenomenal for bass considering that they are two way stand-mounts, but only when driven by good high current amps (IMO). The 650s are similar again, they need to be driven with authority by a good amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back