In search of a <$2000 DAC for Bryston BHA-1
Apr 6, 2015 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

porridgecup

Head-Fier
I'm looking to get the BHA-1 and plan on using it with my LCD-2 as well as future headphones I intend on purchasing some day (potentially LCD-3, HD 800, T1). I'd pretty much just like a nice transparent balanced DAC that would go fine with the BHA-1 and any headphone/balanced cable pairing.

I have no use for any special features or controls, and don't care about aesthetics or color whatsoever. Ideally I'd prefer something that doesn't take up too much space (especially too wide or too long). I'd also like to be able to stack it on top of, or under, the BHA-1.

This would be for use with a desktop PC USB connection. Also, I'd like it to be externally powered rather than USB powered (I assume most of the higher end DACs are?).

A lot of the DACs recommended for high end setups seem to be kind of absurdly priced. I don't think a $1000 DAC is going to sound any different from a $2000 one, even if the latter may have more features or look nicer.

I'm willing to spend up to about $1500 on the DAC, but I'd honestly prefer one much cheaper if I can get away with it.

Any recommendations?

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #2 of 8
My recommendation is that you should take this matter to a section of the forum and threads that deal directly with your amp and high end DAC's.

This is a soups to nuts recommendations forum where people ask for advice in selecting $30 IEM's.

Oops--just checked--make that $25 IEM's.

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 8
The Schiit Gungnir is a pretty good DAC in my experience. With USB it goes for $850.

Apr 6, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 8
I don't think you can get better than this DAC:

http://www.amazon.com/PS-Audio-APW-DACII-USSBR-PerfectWave-Converter/dp/B00C0RCHZW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1428357597&sr=8-2&keywords=PS+Audio+-+PerfectWave+DAC

It is way above your budget, but I hear good things about this one...

Apr 6, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 8
A "lighter" DAC from the same company:

http://www.amazon.com/PS-Audio-NPW-DAC3-US-B-NuWave-Black/dp/B00B3YKX0Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428357757&sr=8-1&keywords=NuWave+DAC

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #8 of 8
I just switched from Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 to the new Bryston BDA-3.

The combination of BHA-1, BDA-3, HD-800 fed by a Mac mini is absolutely astounding.

With native DSD support, I think things are going to get expensive with new downloads and additional hard drive space 
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back