[In progess] Give away w/ slight complication
Aug 24, 2008 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

ClieOS

IEM Reviewer Extraordinaire
Here is the basic story:

Few days ago, there was a recommendation requesting thread by ljcii where he asked for what kind of case to get for his IEM. My recommendation is 1) HippoWarp by Jaben, and 2) caddy tin case. Since ljcii has shown interest of the HippoWarp, I went on and sent a pm to Uncle Wilson (owner of Jaben, for those who don't know who he is) asking for the price of a HippoWarp to U.S.. Instead of getting a price quote back, Uncle Wilson tell me that selling one HippoWarp to the U.S. is a bit too troublesome and not worth the effort. However, He tells me that he is more interested in giving away one full box (100 units) of HippoWarp to one person in the U.S. free of charge, provided that person agrees to 1) cover the shipping fee (from Singapore to U.S.), and 2) help to give away the remaining units (assuming the person will keep no more than... let says 2~3 units).

My problems are: First, I need someone trustworthy to send the box to (as neither me or Uncle Wilson are in the U.S., so there is no control from us once the box is sent to that person). 2nd, he/she must agree the above conditions mentioned. 3rd, No profiting of any kind. All units must be given away for free. Obviously, asking for shipping fee isn't considered as profiting.

So my questions are, how do I achieve all the above? Is any of you willing to take the responsibility for a no-profit-community-service? (note that I prefer someone with solid feedback and good reputation, just to be on the safe side) Also, what kind of distributing method do you think is better? Face to face on a meet, USPS, or etc? (I think this is mainly up to the person who takes the responsibility)

As of now, I haven't decided anything yet, so all suggestion are welcomed.

HippoWarp:
HippoWrap.jpg

HippoWrap_Instruction.jpg

Disclaimer: I am a personal friend of Uncle Wilson, a moderator of Jaben.net, and a customer of Jaben, but I don't work for Jaben and my action is entirely voluntary (I believe generosity should be responded with equal kindness).

Aug 24, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 27
I think you should PM a moderator in this fourm that resides in the US if they want to partake in this because they're nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 24, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 27
I won't PM anyone (trying not to bother people) for this, but I do welcome PM if any of you like to discuss this matter in private. Again, idea are welcomed. Thanks.

Aug 25, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you only giving away in the US?

The whole box will be given to a person in U.S. (it is easier for Uncle Wilson that way), and whether that person decides to give it away to U.S. head-fiers or send half of the box to Canadian, European or Australian head-fiers is all up to him/her. Neither me nor Uncle Wilson will have any control over it once it was sent.

Here is an idea: One person who are currently organizing a meet can take the box, give away half (or what ever portion you like) of it on the meet and send the rest to the organizer of another meet. Freebie for everyone who go to the meet, how about it?

Aug 25, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #8 of 27
I would do this with help. I am going to shoot a few PMs around and see what I can come up with, PM me the shipping price to get it here? Could we increase the shipping charges to each person a minimal amount to cover the original cost?

Aug 25, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would do this with help. I am going to shoot a few PMs around and see what I can come up with, PM me the shipping price to get it here? Could we increase the shipping charges to each person a minimal amount to cover the original cost?

I'll PM the shipping cost to you once Uncle Wilson give me an estimation, and yes, you can increase the shipping charge to cover the original shipping cost, as long as you can balance it out among all the people who receive it. It shouldn't be a problem if you get a few dollars more in the end, but keeping it to the minimum is the key.

Aug 26, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #10 of 27
I'll do it. Wavoman is going to spot most the shipping upfront. Once it is sent to me I will make a thread about how these will go off, I would like to make contributors get the first batch if that's ok with you.

Aug 26, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #11 of 27
Sounds good. I'll PM you once I got all the detail figured out and a sign off by Uncle Wilson.

Aug 26, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #12 of 27
I think to ensure fairness, rather than charging a shipping fee (and having to pack and ship 100 of these), a simple Postage paid envelope would be the way to go. Just got to pop the item in the envelope and mail it. Simple.
(And open it up to everyone, contributors only just feels a little clique-y)

Aug 26, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #13 of 27
The detail of what /why certain method is chosen will be given once we confirm all the detail. At this point and time, all I can say is the arrangement is made to ensure everyone who want to receive the give away will be treated as fairly as we can. As of why contributors have the priority, malldian will give you an answer in due time. In any case, I can assure you non contributing member will have a share of it as well. Again, more will be announced once we figure out the detail.

Sep 18, 2008 at 8:08 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtfool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is the announcement for the giveaway going to be posted in this thread or elsewhere?

Probably both here and a new thread, but not sure where.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back